Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

Hi Janet,

I am not a first time cruiser, but I thought I would look on this thread to see what was there. Awesome list that you put on here. I went down the list and just checked off the things that I bring when I cruise and I can honestly say that I probably take 75% of that stuff. I'm sure on this last one, it was more like 90% since I took my fiancee on her first cruise. I just got off the Carnival Freedom just a couple of weeks ago and it was great. I have done Royal in the past and after looking at a few ship reviews for Royal, think I might try to make that my next one (not sure what ship yet). I can't think of anything specific that I would add to your list at this point, but if I ever do, I will suggest it for future cruise 'virgins'. I loved your review of the ship you were on. I wrote a review on the Carnival Freedom if anyone is interested.

Bill

Bill:

Thanks for writing. I would love to book a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. We loved the Liberty of the Seas so much that we know it would just be over the top!

I will for sure read your review. I love reviews...

MMitchell29:

Thanks for your note. For the zip line excursion, I believe it was about $85. This was in Labadee Haiti. You get all the gear on and they take you on a short run to get the feel of things, then they take you by jeep up a mountain for the big run. You are out over the edge of the water. Very pretty. My daughter did a zip line in Montego Bay and it was more jungle type... (need bug spray for that one..)

Flo Rider and Rock climbing on RCCL was at no extra cost you just had to sign off on a waiver.

Planning for the 10 of us, I was the one in charge (oh really???). I had done the research ahead of time and selected the cabins/ship we wanted and we all knew that we wanted to go at a certain time. So as soon as the bookings opened up (I checked almost daily when I knew they were to be available) I called and got all the cabins reserved so that they all were in a row. Then after I secured the cabins, I let all of our friends know that they needed to call in with their deposits.

Over the course of time I would email notices to everyone for discussion on the cocktail parties and the excursions we wanted to do. It was fun doing all the planning and that is how my "ULTIMATE PACKING LIST for the Newbie’s was born" .. because everyone kept asking me the same questions about what to bring ... so I made the list with everything I could think of and let them all decide what they actually needed to bring.

Our group has gone on two cruises and we just booked an Alaskan cruise for June of next year. I went through the same process of securing the cabins. It seems like each time we go our crowd gets a little bigger. So this time I think two cabins are going to have to host a costumed cocktail party. So that everyone gets a change to host. The Princess Alaskan Book for 2011 just opened up around May 12th. So we just got our cabins. Everyone gets the insurance because you never know if something comes up. And if it turns out that someone can't make it, we will call and have our cabins moved together so that our line of cabins is not compromised. LOL We like having all our cabins in a row so we can open up all the balconies so they all connect. So much fun let me tell ya!!

If you have any other questions let me know.

Thank you so much for your response. It really sounds like you all had a blast. Will you do a trip report when you get back from your Alaskan cruise?

I think i'm going to do the Liberty of the seas next year so that will give me a year to plan everything. It won't be as nice as yours since i'll be taking kids with me but i'll do my best with having as much fun as possible.

Did you all have a formal night while on the ship? Is there any place for me to look at the planned activities of the ship for the duration of a certain cruise so i'll have an idea of what to expect?

Janet i'm also curious to know if you went through a travel agent or not. I don't want to go through an agent simply because i'm a total control fanatic so i'll try to gather as much information online as possible.

From the looks of it I think the liberty of the seas will be out the country for the summer months of 2011. Maybe i'll find a good rate before then.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions

Meredith

Meredith:

Oh yes, I will do a review next year after our Alaskan cruise.. I know we will have a good time.

No, we don't do formal nights on any cruise any more. We fell out of that after the second cruise. This time we are also going to have anytime dining because cruising with a large crowd it is sometimes hard to get everyone to dinner at the same time. So this will be a welcome change.

As far as looking at planned activities of the ship for the duration of the cruise, each cruise line has their own daily newsletter that is placed on your bed each night for the next day. Often times people will post their newsletters on Cruise Critic and then you can pretty much get an idea of what the planned activities are. Sometimes they change and then sometimes the only thing that is different is the date. So you might try searching for the newsletters under that particular ship on CC.

No I never go through a travel agent. We did that once and I had no control of the reservation through the website of the cruise line. So I had to transfer the reservation to the cruise line so that I could gain access to the reservation online. Then we added our excursions and other things we decided to do.

You will love Liberty of the Seas... she is a beauty! Don't get the cabins in the aft. We did that and I didn't like it too much as you aren't looking straight down on the water.

Hey Janet the aft cabins look so much bigger. It do seems like they don't have cabins that sleeps 5. I do not want 2 cabins because I do have 2 toddlers and a teenager and I really can't justify getting a suite so I have some serious decisions to think about. Are the aft rooms reasonable?

Meredith

Hey Janet the aft cabins look so much bigger. It do seems like they don't have cabins that sleeps 5. I do not want 2 cabins because I do have 2 toddlers and a teenager and I really can't justify getting a suite so I have some serious decisions to think about. Are the aft rooms reasonable?

Meredith

The aft cabins on Liberty of the Seas that we sailed on, we got Junior Suites and these rooms were perfect and yes, larger. The cabin we had JS 1406 was much larger than the same type cabins on the other decks (AFT) ... The price for this cabin was the same price as other cabins in this same category. It would be pefect for what you need .

So look into that...

I just made a list of my own in a word doc but dont know how to a ttach so I copy/pasted. Enjoy

Cruise Packing List

Item Packed?

NECCESITIES

Wallet/Money (cash & CC)

License/Birth Certificate or Passport

Insurance card

CruiseDocs

Cell Phone & charger

Camera/Memory

Batteries/Extra/Charger

iPod & Charger

Laptop & Charger

SUNSCREEN

RANDOM

Power strip

Plastic baggies

Water/Soda

Sunglasses & extra pair

Highlighter

Wrinkle release spray

Clothes pins

Night light

Gum and candy

Small snacks

Stain-remover

Binoculars

Journal/Notebook/Pen

Sticky notes

Alarm clock

Lanyard for S&S card

TOILETRIES

Medicine: Advil/Pepto/etc

Contacts/EXTRAS/case/solution

Eye glasses & case

Toothbrush/toothpaste

Razors

Soap or body wash

Shampoo/Conditioner

Hair towel

Hair products/hair spray

Hair ties/clips/bobby pins/headband

Hair brushes

Blow dryer

Straightener

Curling iron

Q-tips

Lotion

Nail file

Deodorant

Eye drops

Band-aids

Feminine stuff

Make-up: Foundation, eye shadows, liner, mascara, blush, etc

APPAREL

Tops & bottoms for 5 days

One pair of jeans

5 outfits for dining room

Bathing suits

Cover up

Lots of underwear

Bras + Strapless

Pajamas (shorts and pants)

Socks

Exercise tops/shorts/bra

Tennis shoes

Flip flops for each outfit

Comfy shoes for shore

Formal night dress & shoes

Jewelry

Small purses

One light jacket

FOR SHORE or POOL

Beach bag or backpack

Plastic float

SUNSCREEN

Chapstick

Hat

Camera, etc

Watch

Water bottle

Book or magazine

Over @ the Princess Board, there is a thread about packing list & I got the best one I have found there from Steve. He will send you a word version thru email as it is a tad too big a file to post on CC.

You only have to take bare minimums...BUT I like having stuff I need just in case...for my most common ailments...like Lomotil, Benadryl topical...etc.

Usually, I do take less when on land based vacations - but that is because I KNOW some store will carry the cough drops I use (for example) no such guarantees in Bermuda or St. Thomas, Grand Turk...

I always burn...so sunscreens are a must and so is a full bottle of pure aloe....if I was landbased- I would not bring aloe....

I don't need any nail polish or pantyhose, or bother with a travel hairdryer (f my hair was longer- THAT would be a must). so some peoples packing list..would look different than mine...

The BEST item I learned about before my first cruise from Cruise Critic posters was to bring a large insulated drinking glass for cold drinks on the ship. The little glasses are way too little.

We loved filling the cup with ice and then adding iced tea...and it would keep it cold and we could sit by the pool and sip..and not have to get up...

We got compliments from so many ppl on them. This year, I got two blue ones with handles from Marshalls....3.99 each..

Oh yeah...another thing I love to bring is some bubble wrap....in case you buy breakables...and some cardboard for any 8x10 pics you buy....to protect them as the cruise lines just gives you very lightweight folders for them...

This year to save packing weight- I am bringing SOME single serve powdered drink mix like GatorAde and diet Snapple-

Although water is great to drink - I find on excursions in the hot sun...a Sports drink keeps ya from feeling too beat too fast...

Bernadette (on my 3rd cruise in July)

Meredith did you decide on a cruise?

Janet, no I have not yet. I am so excited about going on the Liberty of the seas (thanks to your great trip report) that I forgot I need to book The Carnival Triumph August cruise. I really want to do the Aug. cruise for my hubby. He works so hard(drives truck for a living, owner operator) and hardly ever rest so I really want to get him on a cruise for some rest and relaxation. The RCL would be my cruise, well the kids also but I would be acting like a big kid myself with the flo rider and the rock climbing wall. So many decisions Janet, whats a girl to do other than have fun planning. I do know one thing you need to be a travel agent. I think you would be totally awesome at it.

Meredith

Hey Janet I've been doing a lot of research plus I was watching the travel channel yesterday and seen host Samantha Brown take a cruise on Freedom of the seas which looked so much like Liberty of the seas. Now it seems like you haven't been on Freedom of the seas but do you think they are exactly alike?

FOS leave out of Port Canaveral which is a 9 hour drive for us unlike Liberty that leave out of Miami where we would have to fly. So of course it's cheaper for us to drive than the 5 of us fly. What do you think?

Meredith

Hey Janet I've been doing a lot of research plus I was watching the travel channel yesterday and seen host Samantha Brown take a cruise on Freedom of the seas which looked so much like Liberty of the seas. Now it seems like you haven't been on Freedom of the seas but do you think they are exactly alike?

FOS leave out of Port Canaveral which is a 9 hour drive for us unlike Liberty that leave out of Miami where we would have to fly. So of course it's cheaper for us to drive than the 5 of us fly. What do you think?

Meredith

Freedom of the Seas is exactly like Liberty of the Seas and yes, you should book that cruise instead. Wow what a savings to drive there rather then to fly to Miami. You have now justified getting the AFT Junior Suite Cabin!!

Maybe YOU should be a travel agent.. LOL...

Freedom of the Seas is exactly like Liberty of the Seas and yes, you should book that cruise instead. Wow what a savings to drive there rather then to fly to Miami. You have now justified getting the AFT Junior Suite Cabin!!

Maybe YOU should be a travel agent.. LOL...

Well Good morning Janet, I haven't heard from you in a couple days. I thought to myself "I know she didn't sneak and go on another cruise with her gang yet, or did she?" LOL I hope you had a great Memorial day. It was a wash out for me with a lot of rain:(

Ok it seems like i'm getting a lot of mixed reviews, I totally need a room for 5 (2 adults 3 kids) but it seems like the only room for that is a GS. Do you think this is true for the Freedom of the Seas? Maybe I need to call them but from past experience sometimes the people at the call center don't know:confused: that why I like to ask on here at least the folks here have actually been on the cruise. More decisions for me to make LOL

Well Good morning Janet, I haven't heard from you in a couple days. I thought to myself "I know she didn't sneak and go on another cruise with her gang yet, or did she?" LOL I hope you had a great Memorial day. It was a wash out for me with a lot of rain:(

Ok it seems like i'm getting a lot of mixed reviews, I totally need a room for 5 (2 adults 3 kids) but it seems like the only room for that is a GS. Do you think this is true for the Freedom of the Seas? Maybe I need to call them but from past experience sometimes the people at the call center don't know:confused: that why I like to ask on here at least the folks here have actually been on the cruise. More decisions for me to make LOL

Let me check it out and I will get back with you. HOT SUMMER forcast here for DALLAS... was sweltering yesterday.

Let me check it out and I will get back with you. HOT SUMMER forcast here for DALLAS... was sweltering yesterday.

You'll have to call in anyway because even trying to book online the online reservation won't let you book for more than 4 people for one reservation..

So I am thinking that based on the number of people in your party, they will only let you have a Grand Suite GS but you should ask because you never know if they just might have a JS category that can accomodate 5.

The GS are very nice too!

Hope that helps somewhat...

You'll have to call in anyway because even trying to book online the online reservation won't let you book for more than 4 people for one reservation..

So I am thinking that based on the number of people in your party, they will only let you have a Grand Suite GS but you should ask because you never know if they just might have a JS category that can accomodate 5.

The GS are very nice too!

Hope that helps somewhat...

Thank you so much, you are my new BFF and agent :D

Hey Janet, I'm still doing my research and i came across a you tube video of a Ben and Jerry "sweet room" which is located right on top of the ben and jerry ice cream palor. Question I have for you is:

Is the B&J ice cream free or would I have to pay?

If I have to pay for the B&J is there any other icecream on board I can have without paying? I don't want to pay to have extra pounds on the hip

Meredith

Hey Janet, I'm still doing my research and i came across a you tube video of a Ben and Jerry "sweet room" which is located right on top of the ben and jerry ice cream palor. Question I have for you is:

If I have to pay for the B&J is there any other icecream on board I can have without paying? I don't want to pay to have extra pounds on the hip

Meredith

There generally is free soft serve yogurt in the Windjammer cafeteria and often by poolside. Ben and Jerry's would charge for their ice cream as would the gourmet coffee house. They'll get ya for all they can. LOL

Meredith

Each person in the Ben & Jerry's "sweet" gets one free ice cream every day. This is compensation for an obstructed view of the promenade, the cabin looks out on the rear end of the cows above the ice cream shop. The cabin is decorated in a cow motif. This cabin also used to get access to the concierge lounge like all the other suites but that benefit is no longer offered. I would do a search in the Royal Caribbean forum on this "sweet". There is a recent thread from someone who hated it, I forget what their issue was with the cabin. There has also been rumors of Ben and Jerry's being removed from the ships but as of yet that is only rumor.

Each person in the Ben & Jerry's "sweet" gets one free ice cream every day. This is compensation for an obstructed view of the promenade, the cabin looks out on the rear end of the cows above the ice cream shop. The cabin is decorated in a cow motif. This cabin also used to get access to the concierge lounge like all the other suites but that benefit is no longer offered. I would do a search in the Royal Caribbean forum on this "sweet". There is a recent thread from someone who hated it, I forget what their issue was with the cabin. There has also been rumors of Ben and Jerry's being removed from the ships but as of yet that is only rumor.

I also had hear that the suites were no longer there.. but I never investigated it when we were on LOS.

Interesting.... thanks for your note.. and if anyone finds out anything else.. let me know.

Thanks Again!

• 2 weeks later...

After perusing through this thread I noticed a couple of what I would consider necessary items missing & they are

1)eyeglass repair kit

2) extra pair of glasses should the repair kit not fix the problem

3)for contact lens wearers bring one or two extra pairs, keeping one pair in your pack or purse should you lose one or both contact lenses or they get damaged.

4)reading glasses for reading menus

You can't enjoy what you can NOT see;)

Janet:

I looked at your review for LOS and I thought it was great. I am going to be there in Sept. I had a question. I noticed that you had some water and soda cases that you put a luggage tag on. Will they still allow that? Some people are saying that we can not do that. This is my first time on LOS and I would love to bring a case of my water and diet Dr. Pepper and Pepsi. Thanks

Hi friends,

This very useful thread for cruise vacation planners. I am planning for a cruise excursion with friends. I am newbie. I was looking for tips on cruise trips. This good collection for the newbie vacation cruise excursion goers. This is my first cruise and stay holiday. Good work. Keep posting like these useful tips

Jacob

http://savemoneyonyourcruise.weebly.com

Edited by jacobh