Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

I am having so much fun reading the packing lists. Everybody has great ideas. A lot of these items I never would have thought of. I think the point of these lists are to get ideas from other people and make your own list. My husband has lists for his lists. ha. He needs lists to keep himself organized and so he can sleep at night. I envy a person who doesnt worry about forgetting something. I find that the better organized I am the more relaxed I am. Have fun cruising everyone. :):):):)

Hi Marty - the one advantage to paying a little more for a ship's excursion is that you have the guarantee that if you somehow miss the sailing time, they HAVE to get you to the ship somehow (I guess they usually get you to the next stop). That's pretty cheap insurance. Some friends who have cruised a good bit said that they have twice seen people jumping up and down on the dock screaming, "Come back! Come back!" I prefer not to be one of those folks!

We just got back this past weekend from our first cruise. Its a little interesting not being the first time cruiser asking for advice anymore. But I'm definetly NOT an expert. In our experience I listened to most people on here on certain things to pack and come to find out I didn't need any of them :) This includes an outlet converter(to plug more things in), an over the door hanger with extra storage-there was so much counter space in the bathroom and storage closests we didn't use 1/2 of it. A highlighter- you can easily take the small agenda around with you and read it without brightening it up.

I also tried to pack light since you can wear outfits more than once but on more than 1 occasion I wish I would have had a little more variety.But that can vary person to person.

My husband and I DID decide to split our luggage among both suitcases in case one was misplaced and that was an excellent idea. I concluded that once the first cruise is over you will know exactly what you will and won't do the next time.

We just got back this past weekend from our first cruise. Its a little interesting not being the first time cruiser asking for advice anymore. But I'm definetly NOT an expert. In our experience I listened to most people on here on certain things to pack and come to find out I didn't need any of them :) This includes an outlet converter(to plug more things in), an over the door hanger with extra storage-there was so much counter space in the bathroom and storage closests we didn't use 1/2 of it. A highlighter- you can easily take the small agenda around with you and read it without brightening it up.

I also tried to pack light since you can wear outfits more than once but on more than 1 occasion I wish I would have had a little more variety.But that can vary person to person.

My husband and I DID decide to split our luggage among both suitcases in case one was misplaced and that was an excellent idea. I concluded that once the first cruise is over you will know exactly what you will and won't do the next time.

Well, all these packing lists are complied by a lot of different people with different needs. Some are 2 to a suite, some are 4 to a cabin, some have kids and some don't. So, you are right. You won't use everything on the lists and you find that out by trying them out. Different needs for everyone.

I personally find a highlighter keeps me from skipping over "must do" items on the daily Funtimes. Over the door hanger depends on whether or not there are 2 or 3 of us. I take the small extension cord not because I have multiples, but because my phone charger won't fit the plug as it is wedged between vanity and mirror.

:D

We just got back this past weekend from our first cruise. Its a little interesting not being the first time cruiser asking for advice anymore. But I'm definetly NOT an expert. In our experience I listened to most people on here on certain things to pack and come to find out I didn't need any of them :) This includes an outlet converter(to plug more things in), an over the door hanger with extra storage-there was so much counter space in the bathroom and storage closests we didn't use .........

Each person is different and what works for them might not have worked for you. That is why when people asks for packing lists it is also important that the person giving the advice needs to let everyone also know which category their cabin is in. For example a person in a Jr. Suite will have much more closet, drawers and cabinet space then a person sailing in an OV or interior cabin. I find that the type of cabin I will be sailing in will have a great impact on all those little extras (over the door organizer, etc) I will either bring or leave at home.

As for the highlighter, I can't cruise without one. Yes you can bring your onboard newspaper (as I call them) with you and I do, but I find it easier if the things I want to remember are highlighted. Because it is highlighted, one glance and my attention is called right to it. I don't have to spend 20 or 30 minutes reading through all the activities listed; paragraph after paragraph, page after page, line after line trying to find the one activity I want. Not only what time it starts but on which deck and the area on that deck.

What works for one person won't work for another. That what makes the world go around.

My packing list is being "edited" this morning. After the Carnival Splendor, I decided that even though we have balcony cabins, I would put the push button battery operated lights back on our list. We carried them and never once used them before, but I think I'd like to have one just in case. Even if I didn't need it, I'd be able to loan it to someone in an inside cabin across from us. I'm sure those with the battery operated ones were most appreciative (and extra batteries). While I certainly don't expect to see a repeat of this incident, that's going to be my one add-on to the list...just in case.:eek:

• 2 months later...
My packing list is being "edited" this morning. After the Carnival Splendor, I decided that even though we have balcony cabins, I would put the push button battery operated lights back on our list. We carried them and never once used them before, but I think I'd like to have one just in case. Even if I didn't need it, I'd be able to loan it to someone in an inside cabin across from us. I'm sure those with the battery operated ones were most appreciative (and extra batteries). While I certainly don't expect to see a repeat of this incident, that's going to be my one add-on to the list...just in case.:eek:

Haven't been on here in awhile.. Wanted to see if anyone had added any new creative ideas.... My Alaskan trip is coming up in June and I am getting started with our cruise gang...

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't been on here in awhile.. Wanted to see if anyone had added any new creative ideas.... My Alaskan trip is coming up in June and I am getting started with our cruise gang...

Janet,

My DH and I took a cruise to Alaska last June. You definitely want a light weight water proof jacket. We got some great ones at LL Bean that packed very compactly. You never know when it could start raining and can get very windy on the ship decks. I'm really glad mine had a hood, poor DH had a soaked head because it poored the day we were in Glacier Bay. (thankfully, the only rainy day we had.)

I'd also recommend waterproof shoes for the same reason, or at least a pair that would dry quickly.

Be prepared the dress in layers! In one day I went from being bundled in my jacket, with scarf and gloves (on the White Pass Railroad tour in Skagway, to short sleeves and sweating as we went for a hike the same day around Lower Dewey lake; which was honestly the best day we had on the trip! Basically, light layers where my savior on this trip. Definitely different than preparing for a Carribbean cruise.

For anyone who is a huge photography buff like me, a towel to cover your camera and a microfiber cloth to the clean the lense is a must. Nothing worse than being stuck in Glacier Bay or Whale watching with your expensive camera getting soaked.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any Alaska specific questions :)

Jodi

Janet,

My DH and I took a cruise to Alaska last June. You definitely want a light weight water proof jacket. We got some great ones at LL Bean that packed very compactly. You never know when it could start raining and can get very windy on the ship decks. I'm really glad mine had a hood, poor DH had a soaked head because it poored the day we were in Glacier Bay. (thankfully, the only rainy day we had.)

I'd also recommend waterproof shoes for the same reason, or at least a pair that would dry quickly.

Be prepared the dress in layers! In one day I went from being bundled in my jacket, with scarf and gloves (on the White Pass Railroad tour in Skagway, to short sleeves and sweating as we went for a hike the same day around Lower Dewey lake; which was honestly the best day we had on the trip! Basically, light layers where my savior on this trip. Definitely different than preparing for a Carribbean cruise.

For anyone who is a huge photography buff like me, a towel to cover your camera and a microfiber cloth to the clean the lense is a must. Nothing worse than being stuck in Glacier Bay or Whale watching with your expensive camera getting soaked.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any Alaska specific questions :)

Jodi

Jodi.

Thank you very much for your tips for our Alaskan Cruise. This is the first time we aren't going where it is hot and sunny. I have a Land's End Catalog I have been browsing and I will get a jacket and some waterproof shoes.

I also will have layers.. I hear that a lot as well.

And some good binoculars.... I must make a different list... LOL

Thanks again.. any other tips.. most welcome!!

Janet

Janet,

You're very welcome. Glad to help. For what it's worth, I got the "Bean's Waterproof Trail Model Hikers II, Low-Cut" shoes from LLBean and absolutely love them. They're super comfortable and warm. They appear to run true to size.

Jodi

As for the highlighter, I can't cruise without one. Yes you can bring your onboard newspaper (as I call them) with you and I do

I am not sure what you mean by this, you also mentioned that it had a list of activities....is this something I should be aware of before we go on our cruise?

@ Nikko4Me... glad this has helped you.. Have fun... planning is the most fun!

@ outdoorsguy1 .. every night in your cabin you will receive the onboard newsletter that will list the following day's events. Some people bring highlighters to highlight what interests them the most.

Hope everyone has a great time!

Janet,

You're very welcome. Glad to help. For what it's worth, I got the "Bean's Waterproof Trail Model Hikers II, Low-Cut" shoes from LLBean and absolutely love them. They're super comfortable and warm. They appear to run true to size.

Jodi

Thanks again.. since we are stranded indoors due to icy weather, I will browse my book and look for the items you have mentioned.... Love it...

• 2 weeks later...
Silly question about packing..... Total newbie here.

are there tissues in the stateroom/bathroom onboard (Specifically Carnival Elation?) - my son is a sneezer.. trying to figure out if i need to add a box of kleenex to his packing list?

Thanks!

Yes there are tissues in the bathroom but I would probably still take a few travel packs along for when you are out and about....

I have printed your initial list out Janet, and thanks for that and for all the other poster's tips too.

It's our first cruise coming up and I got some great ideas. Our luggage allowance will be limited as we're coming from NZ but lots of the little things like a short extension cord is a handy tip. We already knew to bring an outlet converter and double strip for power.

The soft drinks, which one can bring on board... I saw the picture of the labelled packs, my question is where do you get these labels before the cruise?

A couple of other things ...

What is a magic bullet?

Why would we need to be tipping LOTS when we have already agreed to pay rather a hefty daily tarriff pp each to cover tips and we're spending a small fortune on the whole package (maybe our cruise line is different to the one you are tipping on?) I probably sound mean but wow!

Thanks again!

I have printed your initial list out Janet, and thanks for that and for all the other poster's tips too.

It's our first cruise coming up and I got some great ideas. Our luggage allowance will be limited as we're coming from NZ but lots of the little things like a short extension cord is a handy tip. We already knew to bring an outlet converter and double strip for power.

The soft drinks, which one can bring on board... I saw the picture of the labelled packs, my question is where do you get these labels before the cruise?

A couple of other things ...

What is a magic bullet?

Why would we need to be tipping LOTS when we have already agreed to pay rather a hefty daily tarriff pp each to cover tips and we're spending a small fortune on the whole package (maybe our cruise line is different to the one you are tipping on?) I probably sound mean but wow!

Thanks again!

Hi!! Glad you found this useful. I bet you are excited!! For the luggage tags on the soda we used the tags the cruise line gave to us. That was two years ago. Nowadays the cruiselines are giving links to print out your own tags. If this is true then you can print as many as you need and tape the tag to the soda carton. If you are mailed tags like we were then we used those tags to tape on our soda cartons and if we needed more tags the porters always have them in their hands when you are checking your baggage at the curb.

As the the Magic Bullet, it is a small little blender that we use to make our cocktails. We travel in large groups and host cocktail parties in our cabins. So this gets lots if use. Not for everyone if course!!

Let me know if you have other questions. Just take from it what you believe would prove useful!!

Janet

Oh and the tipping... we use the dollars just to tip extra tips to people who help us have a good time... for example... The baggage handlers.. who make sure that our sodas get on the ship. :-)

And I forgot one thing if you really wanted to find out more about the MAGIC BULLET just "google' it....

Oh and the tipping... we use the dollars just to tip extra tips to people who help us have a good time... for example... The baggage handlers.. who make sure that our sodas get on the ship. :-)

And I forgot one thing if you really wanted to find out more about the MAGIC BULLET just "google' it....

Oh I did that after I posted lol :-) Google is great isn't it! Probably wouldn't have a use for that item I think though.

The tipping ... yes, I see it's for special services. Was thinking omg do we have to tip everyone all over the ship individually?

Your large cocktail parties sound like a load of fun ... not travelling on my ship next May are you? ;-)

I still have a bit to figure out but we're getting there. I am quite a planner, my H leaves it all to me and I have fun on here fiddling about reading and booking stuff and making lists. It's a great site but I've stopped trying to read everything lol otherwise I'd be here all day instead of just half the day :-) Thanks again.

FYI - an alternative to bringing cases of water is to buy & bring a Brita slim pitcher about $10 or less , size 10.6 x 9.1 x 4.2 inches & refillable sports bottles.

410tO6aNjlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Although the water on board is very filtered and safe...sometimes (varies with ship) it still has a "taste." I make use of the interior space of the pitcher to put make-up (in a baggie)I also bring a very small electric kettle to make my own tea and coffee in the mornings. Again, free tea and coffee everywhere on board, but sometimes(varies with ship) it can have a "different" taste IMHO and I don't like to spend the extra $ in the ship's Coffee Cafe to get fresh brewed coffee .:)

Edited by Beachgrit
spelling

Janet! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST! YOU ARE GREAT, and I LOVE THAT YOU DON'T LET ANYONE TALK TO YOU ANYWAY THROUGH THE POST! :D

If you haven't figured it out, Janet is no one to mess with she will definitely defend herself. I am going on my cruise in May for the first time and I'm super excited, but definitely stressing about all the extra things. I want to make sure that I have everything that I will need for seven days and not come up wanting. You are all right, having too much and not needing is better then not having and needing. So I will be utilizing this when packing. I know the orginal post was posted back in 2009....I think, so has the rules changed on bringing soda onboard? Also what about the rum runners. I'm a BIG drinker and was definitely worried about the price of drinks on the ship and if I will be able to enjoy my cruise the way I want to. Do the rum runners still work?