Unhappy with Carnival for first time

Hello,

Do not get me wrong, I am not here to talk bad about Carnival. I actually love cruising with them very much and have done so 6 times in almost 2 years.

Onboard the Liberty I was sold two of the "$100 Future Carnival Vacation" certificates and told they simply could not be combined with military and interline. I was on a pack-n-go rate at the time (convienent and cheap since I live close to the ports) and specifically asked if it would work with those rates. He told me yes, so I ended up purchasing two of these certificates.

Last week I book a trip on the Inspiration (Monday, May 18th) and ask my PVP about the certificate. He himself said it will work and to send it certified mail to Carnival Promotions. I do so, and get confirmation that they received it this past Monday. Three more days pass without a response so I call them up this morning. After 15 minutes of "looking for it" they tell me that it is not combinable with my rate and they are going to send it back to me. After two of their employees tell me it will work, they tell me it won't and that I am out of luck. I wait 30 minutes for a "supervisor" who tells me this; to get the certificate back and take it on the Inspiration to complain. Why would I do this? They didn't sell me the certificate, they won't be able to do the discount/OBC, nor should they have to. It is not their liability.

Needless to say, they ended up cancelling my certificate which refunds me my $100 credit. So two different employees misinform a customer, they talk me into buying these things, and then do not honor them. They end up giving me my $100 back, just in a different manner, and in the end do not make a customer happy over $50 OBC. I could've got the Welcome Back discount since I booked within 60 days anyways, so I still don't understand their deal. The misinformation within their company on what is combinable is not my fault, so why not make things right and just apply the "discount" to save time?

I already got a great price on the cruise so I am too upset, I just disagree with how they handled it. In the end I will end up getting the same amount of money back, I will just have to wait a lot longer.

This also serves as a future warning to people buying the certificates. Although they will tell you it can be combined with "Any sensational sailing! minus "military and interline," they actually will not combine it with a lot of rates. The supervisor informed me that the tiny text on the back "restricted fares" actually represents a lot of different fares. So it could be a hit and miss with these things.

I too found the guy selling them on the Conquest to contradict himself and then say to me "I dont know why YOU are so confused". Me??? You didnt actually say that to me did you and you work in customer service?

I saw him apply one to someone else's already booked cruise and then when I asked about applying it to a already booked cruise, he says, it says FUTURE, i.e. a cruise you book in the FUTURE, not one you already have booked. (as if I hadnt seen him do just that, but Im guessing the other person's cruise rate had not gone up).

All the rules, you can get either the welcome back $50 off OR the next cruise $50 OBC, but the welcome back cant be applied to a 1A cabin, so then you can use a next cruise, but but but. I think even Carnival is confused what restrictions they have on these credits. My PVP certainly didnt know and was wrong too.

I don't know why they would even tell you to bring it on the ship and tell them. I had a $100.00 in Funship Dollars and when I tried to apply it to my sign and sail account they told me it was invalid and the only thing I could do was call Carnival when I got home. This was on the first day of my cruise. I had to wait until I got home to find out my sister sent me $100.00 in Funship Dollars as a gift and when they didn't arrive she called Carnival, they cancelled them and resent another $100.00. Of course in the meantime I received the cancelled one and a couple days later another one.

Update:

My PVP called and applied the Welcome Back credit that I was entitled so everything worked out to be the same. I still got my "deposit" back onto my credit card, and $50 OBC for the sailing. It just happened in a different manner. Still don't understand what they accomplished by making me do it this way?

Like I said, this also serves as a warning for others interested in buying a certificate. Like anything, there is fine print, so don't believe what the sales guy tells you. There are appearently several rates that will not combine with the certificates. In all honesty, it was more of a hassle than anything. They basically held onto my $100 bucks for me for two months (hey, I probably would have spent it :D) and I am out $10 for shipping the certificate.

Sounds like a training issue. Hopefully someone took notice at Carnival and will include how the promotion does work so the staff in the future can get the right information to the clients. Sounds irritating sorry you went through that. Like you said not the end of the world but it can be avoided if they would just no how their promotions work.

Hi Dave, I'm going to agree with you on the point that this program is a pain. We also bought the "sail into the future" certificate.

We booked ours through a big online TA and we got ours without many problems, we too had to wait to make sure it was valid, blah blah, but having to photocopy it and mail it to them and wait.......just seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.

However we were pleasantly surprised to get an additional 25.00 room credit in the middle of our cruise, no missed ports or anything so it was a really nice surprise, but I will probably not buy another Sail into the future" to me not worth it.

To some it might be.

Carole

Also had a problem with it but not on Carnival's end...with the TA I used. One of those membership club agents. First TA I spoke to very knowlegable about certificate but Carnival dept. that handles it was closed so he told me to call back membership club travel first thing in a.m. so they could get things set with Carnival on it. Called back & the TA tells me it couldn't be used because the cruise was less than 60 days out, therefore, I wasn't making a "deposit" on a cruise. I said, "Yes, I am making a deposit...and will pay the balance within minutes of the deposit." TA replies, "Why do you wait until the last minute to do these things!!!" We had returned from a cruise early Jan. & was doing this booking mid-March. As said, Carnival straightened it out but not without a lot of snotty comments from the TA stating that I should just book thru Carnival (who was a substantial amt. more $$) then I wouldn't have a problem using the certificate. I think many people are just not informed about these certificates.

Okay, I'll weigh in. I'm not bashing Carnival, I'm thinking from a customer relations point of view.

If the programs are so complex and hard to understand that several employees are mis-understanding them, shouldn't the business look to stream line the policies? Wouldn't fewer, simpler plans mean lower employee training costs, fewer forms to complete, and happier customers in the long run?

Just my philosophy - give customers a great value for a fair price, and quit messing around with coupons, bonus offers, and special discounts. Should make for happy employees, shareholders, and customers.

Hello,

Do not get me wrong, I am not here to talk bad about Carnival. I actually love cruising with them very much and have done so 6 times in almost 2 years.

Onboard the Liberty I was sold two of the "$100 Future Carnival Vacation" certificates and told they simply could not be combined with military and interline. I was on a pack-n-go rate at the time (convienent and cheap since I live close to the ports) and specifically asked if it would work with those rates. He told me yes, so I ended up purchasing two of these certificates.

Last week I book a trip on the Inspiration (Monday, May 18th) and ask my PVP about the certificate. He himself said it will work and to send it certified mail to Carnival Promotions. I do so, and get confirmation that they received it this past Monday. Three more days pass without a response so I call them up this morning. After 15 minutes of "looking for it" they tell me that it is not combinable with my rate and they are going to send it back to me. After two of their employees tell me it will work, they tell me it won't and that I am out of luck. I wait 30 minutes for a "supervisor" who tells me this; to get the certificate back and take it on the Inspiration to complain. Why would I do this? They didn't sell me the certificate, they won't be able to do the discount/OBC, nor should they have to. It is not their liability.

Needless to say, they ended up cancelling my certificate which refunds me my $100 credit. So two different employees misinform a customer, they talk me into buying these things, and then do not honor them. They end up giving me my $100 back, just in a different manner, and in the end do not make a customer happy over $50 OBC. I could've got the Welcome Back discount since I booked within 60 days anyways, so I still don't understand their deal. The misinformation within their company on what is combinable is not my fault, so why not make things right and just apply the "discount" to save time?

I already got a great price on the cruise so I am too upset, I just disagree with how they handled it. In the end I will end up getting the same amount of money back, I will just have to wait a lot longer.

This also serves as a future warning to people buying the certificates. Although they will tell you it can be combined with "Any sensational sailing! minus "military and interline," they actually will not combine it with a lot of rates. The supervisor informed me that the tiny text on the back "restricted fares" actually represents a lot of different fares. So it could be a hit and miss with these things.

We had a different experience which just points out that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing! In November of 2007, while on the Valor, we purchased a "Cruise to the Future" certificate which gave us $100.00 toward the deposit of our next booked cruise and $100.00 OBC. We specifically asked if it could be combined with shareholders OBC and after being assured of that, purchased it. A month later the Panama Canal transit on the Pride came up and we contacted our TA asking her to book it. We explained that we had this certificate but couldn't get it to her until we got home, as we were out of town for a couple of months at the time. She booked it with a military discount. When we got home, we brought it to her and she sent it certified mail to Carnival. They accepted it and so we ended up with a military rate plus $350.00 (shareholder $250.00 & cruise to the future $100.00) OBC. Unlike you, it all came together for us, Was it a mistake, probably, but we didn't know it at the time and we're not telling now!

We had a different experience which just points out that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing! In November of 2007, while on the Valor, we purchased a "Cruise to the Future" certificate which gave us $100.00 toward the deposit of our next booked cruise and $100.00 OBC. We specifically asked if it could be combined with shareholders OBC and after being assured of that, purchased it. A month later the Panama Canal transit on the Pride came up and we contacted our TA asking her to book it. We explained that we had this certificate but couldn't get it to her until we got home, as we were out of town for a couple of months at the time. She booked it with a military discount. When we got home, we brought it to her and she sent it certified mail to Carnival. They accepted it and so we ended up with a military rate plus $350.00 (shareholder $250.00 & cruise to the future $100.00) OBC. Unlike you, it all came together for us, Was it a mistake, probably, but we didn't know it at the time and we're not telling now!

My PVP says they changed the rules on combining them last January so since you booked before January, that was probably why it worked out for you.

My other gripe is these certificates have a certificate number. If you buy one from Princess or RCL you just call them in and have them applied. Why does Carnival not let you apply them over the phone, you have to snail mail them in certified mail to have them applied?? They have to have the original certificate?? Why cant they keep track of them like the other cruiselines and not require them to be mailed in certified mail?? Thats so dumb if you are used to how other cruiselines do it.

I am sailing on Imagination in June. I was going to wait until I returned to book a Cruise for February to get the welcome back credit and book the early saver rate. I also heard about the certificate that you can purchase on board. Will they all work together?

Okay, I'll weigh in. I'm not bashing Carnival, I'm thinking from a customer relations point of view.

If the programs are so complex and hard to understand that several employees are mis-understanding them, shouldn't the business look to stream line the policies? Wouldn't fewer, simpler plans mean lower employee training costs, fewer forms to complete, and happier customers in the long run?

Just my philosophy - give customers a great value for a fair price, and quit messing around with coupons, bonus offers, and special discounts. Should make for happy employees, shareholders, and customers.

I agree. They could start by spelling it out in writing on each of these certificates exactly what they can be combined with. Then it wouldn't be open to interpretation from confused Customer Service staff.

We bought two on the same sailing as Davethomas and we've used ours on our next two cruises...They told us we would get the shareholders $100 OBC also so I hope things work out for me.....Dennis

I am sailing on Imagination in June. I was going to wait until I returned to book a Cruise for February to get the welcome back credit and book the early saver rate. I also heard about the certificate that you can purchase on board. Will they all work together?

No, you can either get the welcome back credit or the future cruise credit. On a short cruise both are only worth $50, so Id use the welcome back credit myself, a lot less hassle.

They cannot be combined.

Hello,

I'm glad you got the situation partially resolved, in terms of an OBC. It's just too bad about all of the misinformation!!

I have a bit of a story with our certificate - when I called to book our cruise, I gave the certificate number and she said she would apply it to one of the two cabins booked. She used it on my DH's cabin not mine (cert. in my name), as we book a parent in each room with a child in each.

I got a voicemail 3 days later, with an urgent message to call or our booking would be cancelled.:eek: We seem to have gotten it resolved (however I just sent the certificate yesterday).

We were told at the time of purchase that the program was rolling out to all ships - not true. We purchased one on the Freedom but were not able to purchase another on the Legend (to me that isn't fair!).

You are right about the service part of it. If employees make the same commitment, there should be an obligation for Carnival to follow through. I had this happen over the fuel surcharge/refund. I asked that it be held as OBC rather than refunded, two employees confirmed this was arranged. Well it was refunded to my credit card before sailing. I lost on the exchange rate - I called in an finally got the right supervisor that applied an OBC to cover the shortfall.:)

This is one of the reasons I stopped dealing/cruising Carnival a few years ago. I always got different answers from different people in customer service. I leave on a Carnival cruise Sunday, booked it mainly because the rate was incredibly low. Here is my idea...you know how they say that "this call may be recorded for quality and training purposes" I think we all need to record any calls we make to them. Tell them you are recording it, actually do record it, and at least you will have a way to show them that their quality and or training needs to be re-vamped....just an idea.

I completely agree they need to train their associates better. There is a no reason 3 different calls will result in 3 different answers and we all know that can and does happen.

The problem with honoring it because an employee said it is there's no proof of what that person said when you were buying it on the ship. Anyone could say the employee told me this or that and now you have to do it. Better to just teach them the proper info in the first place.

Although I'm guessing they make a commission on the # of them sold. It's possible they do know the correct info but just telling you what you want to hear to make the sale.

Also if an employee (namely my pvp) tells you I am going to take care of this problem and I will call you back at a certain time, they need to do it. 2 days later with no resolved issue and no phone call back is not acceptable.

AMEN to that! One of my responsibilities in my job is to analyze survey data from customers, and the number one complaint is not getting consistent information when they speak to agency reps. It's a very legitimate complaint, and part of my job is to help the reps do a better job. But, that's a tall order, because the policies they have to deal with are very complex and detailed and multi layered, etc. Not to mention ever-changing.

So, you are right on, suggesting the polices and plans should be simpler. Especially from a vacation company. Sometimes the suits in the higher offices don't realize that that great new plan they just devised is going to be hard for reps to explain, and hard for customers to decipher. But, I can also see that it is hard for the suits to come up with plans and policies that are both enticing to customers and profitable for the company.

There's also the issue that when a company has any plan in place, half the customers will love it and half will hate it. So, if they change it, half will love it and half will hate it. ;)

We bought two on the same sailing as Davethomas and we've used ours on our next two cruises...They told us we would get the shareholders $100 OBC also so I hope things work out for me.....Dennis

I just got back from the Splendor cruise on which I had a CC group OBC, share holder's OBC and the future cruise certificate OBC. There is no restriction on combining it with share holder's OBC. I have applied another certificate to my October cruise with absolutely no issue and that one was booked with the Early Saver booking. At first my TA tried telling me Carnival was refusing to honor my certificate and would be sending it back to me. I knew this wasn't right but figured I'd just use it on the next cruise. Within a few hours I got a new invoice showing they had in fact taken my certificate and applied it to the cruise.

With all these new programs and promotions I've started booking directly with Carnival and have an awesome PVP that was referred to me by a fellow CC'er. Sure makes things much less complicated.

Speaking of these certificates here's a little Did You Know for you guys .....Did you know that when you are on your cruise and purchase these certificates that your TA receives a comission/incentive for the purchase? I did not know that until our Valor cruise when we were told the reason they charfe your credit card seperately and not your S&S account is so that they can track the purchase and your TA will get the comission on the certificates. I'm not sure how it applies to PVP's since they don't get a comission.

Archived