Late August Mediterranean Cruise w/ kids

tocruiseguy

Hi, we are a family of 4 ( including 2 kids 10 and 15 yo) from Canada and are planning a late August Mediterranean cruise (August 23rd or later) on RCCL or NCL. Just wondering if anyone can advise from experience if there are typically many children on the late August Mediterranean cruises. We are considering a 7 night or 12 night cruise but are concerned that the number of children will drop dramatically on the longer 12 night cruise. Our kids are the type that need other kids around.

If anyone has any thoughts please advise.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry a bit. I would expect more than enough kids on the ship to make everyone happy on a 12 day cruise if it ends before school starts in the US and Canada. Also, we were on a 14 day cruise during the peak of the summer holiday season on Navigator with about 1000 kids on board! Even on our Baltic cruise there were still at least a couple of hundred kids on board.

We sailed on 12 night Carnival Liberty Med cruise late August 2005 (?Aug 24) with kids ages 11 and 7. Cruise had plenty of kids, at least a couple hundred. Kids will have a fantastic time.

Thanks. I was at the book store and read a little of a Frommers book on European Cruises, it really liked NCL but when describing the type of clientel indicated that the NCL European cruises were "mostly" older couples whose average age was in the 60's. Sounds more like Celebrity or Princess cruise from what I have heard. I am sure there will be some kids, hopefully just enough.

Thanks. I was at the book store and read a little of a Frommers book on European Cruises, it really liked NCL but when describing the type of clientel indicated that the NCL European cruises were "mostly" older couples whose average age was in the 60's. Sounds more like Celebrity or Princess cruise from what I have heard. I am sure there will be some kids, hopefully just enough.

I am sure your kids will have fun on any line. One family down the street went on Holland America's Med cruise and had a great time and they target an older clientele. I just wouldn't worry too much on this. Pick the cruise that looks right for your family and interests.

I have heard on only story from people that I know where their kids didn't find many other children on board. This was on Regent in the Baltic and the trip was courtesy of Grandparents so it was tough to complain.

Hi, actually we are leaning towards the GEM cruise on August 30th. Have you cruised on the ship before or NCL? Are schools typically on holiday at that time? In Canada in most provinces the kids go back to school on September 8th. We've been on RCCL in the Caribbean and loved it, haven't been to Europe as a family yet, really looking forward to it.

Hi, actually we are leaning towards the GEM cruise on August 30th. Have you cruised on the ship before or NCL? Are schools typically on holiday at that time? In Canada in most provinces the kids go back to school on September 8th. We've been on RCCL in the Caribbean and loved it, haven't been to Europe as a family yet, really looking forward to it.

If you are concerned about kids I would not begin the cruise on August 30th. Many schools in the USA will be in. Some start right after our Labor Day Holiday September 9. But, to begin a cruise on 8/30 and then take the cruise and then fly back home and then go through all of the jet lag right before school start would not work for most families which is why I would look for an earlier cruise.

I would consider going a couple of weeks earlier. If it fits your budget, consider a 12 vs 7 day cruise just so you have more time in Europe but obviously do what is within your budget.

Keith

No, I haven't. Last year we did the eastern med with Celebrity Cruises and we had the time of our lives, not too many children on board, coming from all over the world and I think it was even earlier. I don't know about other countries, here in Portugal school starts around that time too.

I think the earlier in August the more children there will be on board. Probably some countries start earlier, I don't know about the UK or France... you can probably google it.

Nearly all the schools in Scotland are back by 25th August. The English schools start going back around that time and are all back by the 1st week in September.

I wouldn't think you will find many British kids onboard after the end of August unless they are under school age.

Nearly all the schools in Scotland are back by 25th August. The English schools start going back around that time and are all back by the 1st week in September.

I wouldn't think you will find many British kids onboard after the end of August unless they are under school age.

I thought so, there had to be a reason for these dates to be less expensive. Even at the Algarve the last week of August is a lot less expensive.

It's a great time to travel, less people and still quite warm but not as hot as in July and early August. I love September to go on vacations.

family of 5 here with 2 DS age 23 and 17 and one DD age 14 almost 15. We will be doing the RCCL Splendor 7 day week of 8/22/09. last summer around same time we did 7 day NCL Gem and loved it. Lots of kids on board from everywhere.

Hi, we are a family of 4 ( including 2 kids 10 and 15 yo) from Canada and are planning a late August Mediterranean cruise (August 23rd or later) on RCCL or NCL. Just wondering if anyone can advise from experience if there are typically many children on the late August Mediterranean cruises. We are considering a 7 night or 12 night cruise but are concerned that the number of children will drop dramatically on the longer 12 night cruise. Our kids are the type that need other kids around.

If anyone has any thoughts please advise.

Thanks.

We did mid August, a 12 day, last summer returning labor day weekend. The kids club, pools, etc. had plenty of kids. I'd say the mix was more European then American. My youngest made friends easily both in the club and in the pool. My older ones were never big fans of the clubs, nor did any really have time as 10 out of the 12 days were were pretty much in port.

Don't know how old your kids are, but i'd say spend sometime and get them jazzed about the ports as there is just so much in them to experience.

Thanks, I found a school holiday calendar and the "recommended" school year for 2009 starts September 3rd for the UK. Hopefully there are a few irresponsible parents like us (although this time our kids don't go back until Sept 8th) who are willing to take their kids out of school for a couple of days..........................unfortunately my vacation is locked in at the last week of August first week of September or we have to go in July. Costs are a lot higher in July and maybe tooooo many kids on the ship.... We've narrowed it down to a couple of 7 day NCL cruises, a 13 day NCL and a 12 day RCCL.

Decision time, the fun begins.

Archived