Live from the Golden May 16 Alaska

vickie_bernie

Thanks Vicki,

After reading all of your posts on this thread I realized that I was on the live thread. You don't know how much info you provided and I am extremely grateful to you for that. I have learned so much at this forum, it in unbelievable. I can not wait for our cruise. I am with you though on loving warm cruises. I live in New York and usually take southern cruises. But I've always wanted to go to Alaska and my husband won't drive there so this is the next best thing. Thanks again for all your help.

Diana

glad I could help... now enjoy your cruise

Hi Vickie- Thank you so much for doing this. I have really enjoyed it. We are cruising on the Golden on July 11 and apparently there aren't many posting on our Roll Call. However, I have volunteered to coordinate a M & M, but who would I contact? I could probably just suggest a place and time, but I don't want it to conflict with another event in the same place, etc. Thanks!

I have an 11:50 AM flight (Sunday, 8/23 Star Princess sailing). Based on current experiences, what do you recommend for a family of 4 (children are 10 & 8) for debarkation?

I have an 11:50 AM flight (Sunday, 8/23 Star Princess sailing). Based on current experiences, what do you recommend for a family of 4 (children are 10 & 8) for debarkation?

Caroline used a town car and she said it was very efficient. You could also get Princess transfers.

But it appears that the problems at the port with regards to traffic only happens a little later in the disembarkation process when traffic starts to back up.

So my recommendation is do express walk off and be one of the first off. Then either take ships shuttles or taxi or town car.

Caroline used a town car and she said it was very efficient. You could also get Princess transfers.

But it appears that the problems at the port with regards to traffic only happens a little later in the disembarkation process when traffic starts to back up.

So my recommendation is do express walk off and be one of the first off. Then either take ships shuttles or taxi or town car.

Thank you! Great pictures that I'll show the kids before hand.

Do you know which town car service she used?

Pier 91 is so scaring us! :( We're driving to the dock and parking our SUV [already reserved a space.]

I know San Pedro [L.A.], Long Beach or San Diego, in my sleep! I could literally drive there and park with absolutely no problem.......[it's so nice to be familiar with the dock you're driving to!]

We're leaving on September 5th.......Is it a "wait-and-see" rather than something I can plan for [in terms of timing-best time to arrive, etc.?]

Pier 91 is so scaring us! :( We're driving to the dock and parking our SUV [already reserved a space.]

I know San Pedro [L.A.], Long Beach or San Diego, in my sleep! I could literally drive there and park with absolutely no problem.......[it's so nice to be familiar with the dock you're driving to!]

We're leaving on September 5th.......Is it a "wait-and-see" rather than something I can plan for [in terms of timing-best time to arrive, etc.?]

Have now used the pier twice and I was quite impressed with the signage to the pier and parking.

Have now used the pier twice and I was quite impressed with the signage to the pier and parking.

Great news! We're leaving from L.A. 3 days prior to sailing and worrying about finding the dock; dropping off luggage/husband and service dog and, then finding the parking and shuttleing back to meet-up with all of the above, is really all I want to stress about! :o

Great news! We're leaving from L.A. 3 days prior to sailing and worrying about finding the dock; dropping off luggage/husband and service dog and, then finding the parking and shuttleing back to meet-up with all of the above, is really all I want to stress about! :o

no need to stress, wasted energy and It will all work out.

Also I am glad I could help as I loved reading your posts about service dogs on that thread. We sailed with 25 service dogs on the Star last Nov. it was great. And your thread really helped me on how to deal with the dogs while they were working.

no need to stress, wasted energy and It will all work out.

Also I am glad I could help as I loved reading your posts about service dogs on that thread. We sailed with 25 service dogs on the Star last Nov. it was great. And your thread really helped me on how to deal with the dogs while they were working.

Again, thank you!

Amazing; "Brenda" (Service Dog Extraordinaire) has been on 11 cruises and only once did we see two other SD's [seeing eye dogs] and, then we only saw them once, while we cruised for an entire week together.

They must have stayed in one place and didn't dine at the same time we did!

How lucky you were to have the experience of meeting so many wonderful "hero's" all in the same place.

Thanks for all your encouragement!

Here are some pictures from that cruise and the dogs... they had a lovely meet and greet with the dogs one day.

Our friend Darcie was there with her service dog Bailey (she chats on the thread about Service Dogs). She was kind enough to send me information on Service Dogs that I have used when I teach a Human Rights Course and we discuss disabilities. Also the ship delivered to every cabin a brochure about the dogs and what you can and can't do. Very helpful.

All the dogs were wonderful and it was great seeing them around the ship. I believe this tour company does a cruise every year.

Here is hoping you and Brenda have a great cruise

IMGP0144.jpg.666eeeb736f7a8003066f94cbc82e39d.jpg

IMGP0145.jpg.52899eab3c9a7d80b9c85db16c90a25c.jpg

Here are some pictures from that cruise and the dogs... they had a lovely meet and greet with the dogs one day.

Our friend Darcie was there with her service dog Bailey (she chats on the thread about Service Dogs). She was kind enough to send me information on Service Dogs that I have used when I teach a Human Rights Course and we discuss disabilities. Also the ship delivered to every cabin a brochure about the dogs and what you can and can't do. Very helpful.

All the dogs were wonderful and it was great seeing them around the ship. I believe this tour company does a cruise every year.

Here is hoping you and Brenda have a great cruise

AWWWWW! I love reading all that Darcie has to share with the "Cruising With a Service Dog" thread. And, I look forward to, hopefully, cruising with her & Bailey one day!!!!!

p.s. Sorry for the hijack!

I have some albums up on my Facebook page but I don't use a photo sharing site but I also didn't take "ship pictures" since they all kind of look the same to me! We didn't buy any picture taken by the ship... too expensive and those weird new sizes :rolleyes:

Here is a link to facebook pictures (can't get it linked up here but you can copy and paste and get there..)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2013967&id=1194575992&l=b234df13bf

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2014097&id=1194575992&l=4d60f71c2a

I have some albums up on my Facebook page but I don't use a photo sharing site but I also didn't take "ship pictures" since they all kind of look the same to me! We didn't buy any picture taken by the ship... too expensive and those weird new sizes :rolleyes:

Here is a link to facebook pictures (can't get it linked up here but you can copy and paste and get there..)

Where did you see the whales? Great photos. I can't wait for our cruise....

I must have, at least, one "ship" photo, usually the embarkation one!

Those are my "souvenirs". I am so glad I bought the ones with my Dad as he passed away. I don't say anything about the dh drink bill and he doesn't say anything about my photos. He will even get them taken with me. :D:p

Yep! I don't pick on his poison.....he don't pick on mine!!!! ;)

We always go whale watching in Juneau, usually with my friend Larry at Orca Enterprises but this time we did the photo safari with our new camera... have never not seen whales (going since 1990) but there's no certainty.. This year guy didn't go out to "the buoy" that is in everyone's pictures.. he said it was too rough.. go figure. Just don't go w/ ship tour on a big boat...Photo safari only had 12 people in a very small boat

Archived