How do I fund the Set Sail card BEFORE the cruise?

I want to basically be on a "cash system" for this next cruise. We've always done credit cards in the past, trying to get away from those. ;)

So using my personal banking Visa card (aka, my bank account), I want to fund my account instead of waiting in line when I get there and handing them cash.

What's the easiest way to fund the account before I board?

You can also buy Funship Dollars on the website. Instead of putting your mailing address, put your booking # in Line 1 and "On Board Credit" in Line 2. Takes a couple of days, but it will show up as OBC in your documents. You will also get a confirmation email.

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=giftcertificates&pid=FSD

I am trying this system out for the 1st time. I don't want to use credit to fund my drinking habit! :D So far so good.

You can also buy Funship Dollars on the website. Instead of putting your mailing address, put your booking # in Line 1 and "On Board Credit" in Line 2. Takes a couple of days, but it will show up as OBC in your documents. You will also get a confirmation email.

I am trying this system out for the 1st time. I don't want to use credit to fund my drinking habit! :D So far so good.

I've done this before and will probably do it again. Easiest way to do it, IMO!

Can I just give them cash at check in?

I've never heard of them taking cash at check-in, you've always had to go to the purser's desk. And wait in the long lines. It was about 50 minutes for us waiting in line on that first day to get our S&S cards for the 2nd leg of our B2B.

Last cruise, there was supposed to be a line at POM to "take care of business" at check-in. But, it wasn't available by the time we boarded (11:45 AM). We went directly to the purser's desk and handed over our TC's. We waited maybe 10 minutes. I guess it pays to get there early, eh?:rolleyes:

I am a new cruiser with ??? about the S&S card.

Can we put money on our S&S card with a charge card or Traveler Checks, really don't want to carry cash onboard.

Am I correct in saying that you can't do this before you board the ship (by calling and putting on charge ahead of time)

When you check in at the terminal you can give them your credit card and set up your S & S card so all charges will go on the credit card. I always use a credit card and pay the bill when it comes-no interest charges and don't have to carry so much cash.

dixieva, I agree - with most of my credit card purchases, I pay them when I get the bill. They are few and far between, thank goodness! But will I have to wait in a line, or can I get this taken care of online before the cruise? having never cruised before... and if they automatically charge $200, will that be my bill, or if I spend less than that, it's what my CC bill will be... I understand the $200 is a 'hold' just to guarantee they get their money. I don't know why I couldn't do it online before the cruise. ?

I want to basically be on a "cash system" for this next cruise. We've always done credit cards in the past, trying to get away from those. ;)

So using my personal banking Visa card (aka, my bank account), I want to fund my account instead of waiting in line when I get there and handing them cash.

What's the easiest way to fund the account before I board?

delete...

Yes, you give them your credit card when you check-in along with your Fun Pass, ID/Passport. This is all before boarding the ship.

Here's what we do. When we get our credit card statement the month before our cruise (we always pay it off, so there's no outstanding balance) we over pay by an amount we estimate will be our on-board charges - drinks, gifts, specialty restaurant, etc. And we don't have to stand in line at the purser's desk (which is in the lobby of the ship.)

When we get home, our next credit card statement will have a very small balance due, or a very small credit balance.

Hope this helps.

Yes but did you see this part? It cannot be used to pay for gratuities. But this is what I would use it for. So I guess it won't work for me.

7) This certificate may not be used to pay for games of chance and or similar activities. When used as an onboard credit it can not be used to pay for gratuities. This certificate can not be used and is not applicable for group travel or payments related to group bookings and amenities.

Yes, you give them your credit card when you check-in along with your Fun Pass, ID/Passport. This is all before boarding the ship.

Here's what we do. When we get our credit card statement the month before our cruise (we always pay it off, so there's no outstanding balance) we over pay by an amount we estimate will be our on-board charges - drinks, gifts, specialty restaurant, etc. And we don't have to stand in line at the purser's desk (which is in the lobby of the ship.)

When we get home, our next credit card statement will have a very small balance due, or a very small credit balance.

Hope this helps.

I'm confused. If you give them your credit card when you check in at the terminal why would you have to stand in line at the purser's desk? Maybe you still want to put cash on your account? I don't prepay on my credit card or put down cash when I board. I leave my money in the bank until I get the bill after the cruise is over.

I get a printout of my account every few days so that I can see how much I've charged and if the bill is too high I cut down on my spending (drinking-LOL!)

dixieva, I agree - with most of my credit card purchases, I pay them when I get the bill. They are few and far between, thank goodness! But will I have to wait in a line, or can I get this taken care of online before the cruise? having never cruised before... and if they automatically charge $200, will that be my bill, or if I spend less than that, it's what my CC bill will be... I understand the $200 is a 'hold' just to guarantee they get their money. I don't know why I couldn't do it online before the cruise. ?

They don't actually charge $200 to your account. A hold is put on your card and I think the amount is based on the length of your cruise but I'm not sure about that. Anyhoo-your bill will be what you actually charged while on the ship-drinks, speciality restuarants, gift shop, and tips can also be put on this account.

Hope that helps.

If it helps here is my 2 cents...when I went on cruise april 30th..I just called the bon voyage dept and asked them to put money on my account...when I got on the ship it showed as a credit on my sail and sign account..as i needed cash i just went to the pursers desk..no problems..me and hubby paid off credit cards and cut them up...strictly cash now in this house..;)...(hint for ya...i usually went to pursers desk while everyone was at dinner NO LINEs...quick and painless:D

Just be aware that the cc hold may not drop off until after you get back home. Some take a few days. So you have to make sure you have enough $$ on it to cover the hold + all charges.

I bought $1,000 in fun ship dollars and did as instructed on here. Just applied them as OBC instead of having them mailed to me. Now our account is all set up no need to put a card on.

If you want to put cash down once on board. You dont' have to do it right away. You can do it anytime the first night. They will put a block on your card the next morning if you haven't but you can charge the first day/night without a deposit. So go when the lines are smaller. That is what the pursers desk told us.

Also I know it says that funship dollars can't be used for tips. But I assume that means the actual certificates can't be given for tips. If you apply them as OBC it works just like any other cash. Can be used for anything on board.

Also I know it says that funship dollars can't be used for tips. But I assume that means the actual certificates can't be given for tips. If you apply them as OBC it works just like any other cash. Can be used for anything on board.

Exactly! It will be available for any charges on the S&S account.

I don't sail for some time but I have been putting $100 on my S&S account every payday for the last few pay days. I figure by the time I sail in August I will have plenty of damage that I can do at the bars, photo area, and supper club with this $!!

I have used the on-line purchase of funship dollars and enter my booking # and cabin # for address lines 1 and 2. I receive an auto response that my order has been placed and then within 24 hours a confirmation that the transaction has been completed. (The last 2 times my confirmation was within an hour of placing my order.)

One note: I was advised that the OBC will display in My Reservation section on-line about 2 weeks prior to my cruise. I will have copies of my funship dollar confirmations as well when I board the ship just in case.

Hope this helps.

Exactly! It will be available for any charges on the S&S account.

I don't sail for some time but I have been putting $100 on my S&S account every payday for the last few pay days. I figure by the time I sail in August I will have plenty of damage that I can do at the bars, photo area, and supper club with this $!!

I have used the on-line purchase of funship dollars and enter my booking # and cabin # for address lines 1 and 2. I receive an auto response that my order has been placed and then within 24 hours a confirmation that the transaction has been completed. (The last 2 times my confirmation was within an hour of placing my order.)

One note: I was advised that the OBC will display in My Reservation section on-line about 2 weeks prior to my cruise. I will have copies of my funship dollar confirmations as well when I board the ship just in case.

Hope this helps.

Perfect, this is exactly what I wanted to do. And at the end of the cruise, do they return the rest of the OBC in a check?

• 5 months later...

You say it take a couple of days to show up. I'm 10 days out from the cruise, do you suggest doing this, or not?

Archived