RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

Hello all, we're an engaged couple planning our wedding & honeymoon for August... so busy it's hard to read thru the entire history of this thread, so help is greatly appreciated!

We're going to use RomeInLimo for a private tour in Rome the day our cruise will be in Citavecchia. Here is my question: I was a 5 year Art History student, so I am torn as to what I should focus on seeing. We will do "Highlights of Rome", but I am assuming I can't tour both the Vatican (specifically Sistine Chapel) and Colosseum (underground tour sounds great) in the same day. Which should I choose?

Can anyone share some first hand thoughts on their past tour and briefly what they saw? I may not make it back for a long time, so I want to plan my 1 day perfectly. Thanks so much!

I've been to Rome six times and yet I have not seen ALL that is in Rome. But I would suggest you to see the Vatican and the Colosseum with a private guide to efficiently tour both sites and get the most out of it. Those two sites will leave the most impressive memories of Rome.

just back from the med cruise in June.

We used RIL in Naples, Rome & Florence.

We had also used them in 2011.

Can't go wrong with this company.

Naples - We had DIEGO............ he is one of the best guides I ever had.

If you are booked, asked Jany if Diego is available.

Florence - we had Laura.......also excellent.

Rome - we had Mauricio for the Day. Serena for the guide at the vatican.

I had the pleasure of having Serena 2 yrs ago.

I would recommend her.

Have never had a bad day with this company. Great value for the money.

Hello all, we're an engaged couple planning our wedding & honeymoon for August... so busy it's hard to read thru the entire history of this thread, so help is greatly appreciated!

We're going to use RomeInLimo for a private tour in Rome the day our cruise will be in Citavecchia. Here is my question: I was a 5 year Art History student, so I am torn as to what I should focus on seeing. We will do "Highlights of Rome", but I am assuming I can't tour both the Vatican (specifically Sistine Chapel) and Colosseum (underground tour sounds great) in the same day. Which should I choose?

Can anyone share some first hand thoughts on their past tour and briefly what they saw? I may not make it back for a long time, so I want to plan my 1 day perfectly. Thanks so much!

Hello!

My family and I just returned from our Med cruise two weeks ago. We did the "Rome Highlights" also, and used RomeinLimo. Of all of our private tours, they were absolutely the best one we have ever had. Our driver "Rolando", was extremely personable and informative. His personality and knowledge of the Roman culture was absolutely amazing. To answer your original question, if Art History is your passion, then the masterpieces inside of the Vatican and Chapel are not to be missed. We had time for both the general Colosseum tour and the Vatican but your time is limited for each stop. It may be possible to do both the

underground Colosseum and the Vatican, but I would check with Jany at RIL and see what the response is as our "Rolando" was willing to deviate as we desired if all of our group was in agreement. Have a great trip and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Best regards,

Kevin

We just recently returned from our European cruise. We used RIL for three of our port days in Pisa/Florence, Rome, and Naples. Gian was our driver for Pisa/Florence. He did an an excellent touring us about the region and making sure we had plenty of time to see all of the sights. He was also nice enough to buy us a cappuccino at the end of the day and took us to an electronics store to try to replace our missing camera. Vinny did a great job getting us around Rome in plenty of time to see all of the highlights. He found us a good sandwich shop to eat a quick lunch and made sure we were dropped off and picked up on time for our tour at the Vatican. Our tour guide RIL set up for us was also great. She was very knowledgeable about the Vatican. Tony also did an excellent job showing us Positano and Sorrento. Since he was local to the area he was perfect to show us around. In Sorrento he set us up at a local restaurant with the best pizza I've ever had. It was topped off when he brought a 1/2 liter bottle of limocello. RIL definitely knows how to take care of their clients. I would use them again and recommend using any of these drivers.

Looking into the

Positano – Wine Tasting Tour – Pompeii tour.

Could you tell me what they consider a light lunch? Traveling with a vegan/vegetarian and just want to make sure there is stuff for them.

All--

We are just back from a wonderful TA on Celebrity Reflection. From the port of Livorno we had booked a full day tour to Siena and the Chianti wine region using Rome in Limo. There were 8 of us.

We were met at the port by our driver, Gian (we thought his name was John but he was too polite to correct us!). We drove through a drenching rain to get to Siena. Gian's driving skills were amazing and we safely arrived and he found a parking spot opposite the Duomo.

After an hour and a half of exploring on our own we headed out through the beautiful Tuscan countryside (the rain had stopped!) for a "Light Lunch" at a winery Gian suggested. It was fantastic! Great food, great wine and great value!

Our route back to the ship was through new country so we got to see quite a bit of Tuscany on our short visit.

Rome in Limo and, especially, Gian, did not disappoint!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA:cool:

It's amazing how much you can cram into a RomeinLimo tour in Rome. Have a look at the blog post I did about our day in Rome to get an idea, you can find it here We had a wonderful day and saw so much. I would definitely get a guide for the Vatican. Ours was absolutely brilliant.

It's amazing how much you can cram into a RomeinLimo tour in Rome. Have a look at the blog post I did about our day in Rome to get an idea, you can find it here We had a wonderful day and saw so much. I would definitely get a guide for the Vatican. Ours was absolutely brilliant.

Nice blog! Love the pics.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=scarlettmama&date=7-19-2013&text=&ship=Carnival Sunshine

Nice blog! Love the pics.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=scarlettmama&date=7-19-2013&text=&ship=Carnival Sunshine

Our family of 4 shared a private tour with another family of 4 to visit Rome. Vinny was our driver. He was very professional, knowledgeable, & friendly. Being in a small group, we were able to see more sights with the 1 day at port than one would if one was in a big group! Well worth the money !

The sights we visited was very similar to gillsjottings. But, we didn't use a Vatican guide. Looking back, we should have.

Nancy

just wonder if anyone know how much RIL will charge if you exceed the 9 hours day service for the Rome shore tour.

We are aiming to leave port at 7:30, do St Peter's Basilica Dome at 9 (not doing rest of vatican on this trip), followed by a pre-booked Colossum underground tour at 12:20, lunch at 2pm and if we have time after, see the forum before heading back to ship around 3-3:30pm (because we need to reach ship by 4:30pm if we stay within the 9hrs service day). It'd be nice if we have the flexibility to extend a little.

just wonder if anyone know how much RIL will charge if you exceed the 9 hours day service for the Rome shore tour.

We are aiming to leave port at 7:30, do St Peter's Basilica Dome at 9 (not doing rest of vatican on this trip), followed by a pre-booked Colossum underground tour at 12:20, lunch at 2pm and if we have time after, see the forum before heading back to ship around 3-3:30pm (because we need to reach ship by 4:30pm if we stay within the 9hrs service day). It'd be nice if we have the flexibility to extend a little.

I don't know that they will charge anything, but email Jany and ask. They are a wonderful company to work with, glad to see you're working with them...I have been responding to your Colisseum thread and just mentioned RIL on another post there. If ANY tour company can get you through this schedule it's RIL.

Hi

Has anyone done a RIL tour with a 2.5 year old & are they flexible with their itineraries?

I don't really want to spend much time at the Vatican and would like to spend some time where he can run wild for a little.

Also, has anyone just found somewhere to have a picnic rather than go to a restaurant?

Any info would be appreciated.

Has anyone used RIL with their toddler? They are providing the car seat and would like to know how the tours were with toddler in tow.

I would write to them and ask. I have taken our kids on Romeinlimo tours several times, but none the age that needed a car seat.

Great blog! thanks for sharing. Makes me really want to go back NOW! We are doing a Norway cruise this summer and I already wish I was doing the Med. again instead :(

What a great blog, thanks for sharing it with us :)

I know RIL accepts euros or euro travelers cheques. Those who may have used the TC- Do they require your passport to give them the cheques. I just want to make sure we have the right stuff! Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks everyone for the great responses and the early wedding wishes! I have been in contact with Jany and she's provided some decent information. I have one main question, that I would love some advice on:

I am planning on seeing Rome Highlights, basic Coliseum tour, private Vatican tour... are we better off with a driving tour or a walking tour with RIL?

We need others to join our group and have found one couple that wants to save money and take a walking tour with RIL, and take the train from the port. I am not overly concerned with the money (although its 10 Euro tour vs 94 Euro), but rather with getting into Rome quickly and easily and seeing as much as we can within reason of course.

Choices:

Rome Highlights (driving, round trip transit)

Secret Rome (walking, round trip transit)

Essential Rome and Vatican (just walking tour, need train)

Is it better to have a walking guide with us full time, or better to have driver in Rome?

I'm not crazy about the notion of dealing with the Trains, and worrying about train back to port... is a driver from port worth the 80 EUR/person to avoid trains?

Ok, so this was an overly-complicated "one question", lol... but I'd love some help! :D

Driver + car = very comfortable and excellent tour! The drivers know where to go and how to get there quickly. There is so much to see in Rome, we even had a tour guide for the Vatican which in our opinion [now that we have done it] is a must!! Saved us a lot of time, she knew exactly where to go and her knowledge was amazing. Enjoy Rome, it is such a beautiful city. Hope to one day go back and see it all over again!

Happy Cruising,

DonnaF :D

Thanks everyone for the great responses and the early wedding wishes! I have been in contact with Jany and she's provided some decent information. I have one main question, that I would love some advice on:

I am planning on seeing Rome Highlights, basic Coliseum tour, private Vatican tour... are we better off with a driving tour or a walking tour with RIL?

We need others to join our group and have found one couple that wants to save money and take a walking tour with RIL, and take the train from the port. I am not overly concerned with the money (although its 10 Euro tour vs 94 Euro), but rather with getting into Rome quickly and easily and seeing as much as we can within reason of course.

Choices:

Rome Highlights (driving, round trip transit)

Secret Rome (walking, round trip transit)

Essential Rome and Vatican (just walking tour, need train)

Is it better to have a walking guide with us full time, or better to have driver in Rome?

I'm not crazy about the notion of dealing with the Trains, and worrying about train back to port... is a driver from port worth the 80 EUR/person to avoid trains?

Ok, so this was an overly-complicated "one question", lol... but I'd love some help! :D

We've done both with RIL. We had a walking tour of Ancient Rome and a guide for the Vatican and we also had a driver, Nikolai, for a day when we saw things that were farther away. In all we've had 3 walking tours with RIL and all were great and I would definitely recommend. I think the driver from the port, especially if your splitting the cost, would be well worth it, he would leave you with the guide wherever you wanted to begin your walking tour. I think you learn more with a walking tour but RIL drivers are very knowledgeable too so you'll be fine either way.:)