land based tipping

wombat50

i know tipping is a very hot subject on here regarding cruises with a lot of aussies and uk people saying it isent our culture to do it and the americans saying we are cheap and should do so cause they are american ships and so on.

so what im asking is at home who do you tip and appox how much and for what services do you tip and not tip.

example:- when you go for dinner at a restruant you tip there but if you go to mcdonalds do you give a tip when you receive your food,

do you give the bartender a tip each tip you buy a drink or just at the end of the night and so on

basic American tipping 101...

fast food, McDonalds and such...no tip

the basic rule is if you serve yourself...no tip

Pubs.....if you sit at the bar its easier to just tip the bar keep at the end of your session....

if you sit at a table and a waitress serves you....tip her when you pay her be that each time she serves you or (if the pub allows it) when you pay your "tab" at the end of your session....

bottom line for tips in bars...tip when you pay be that after every drink or at the end...

basic tip amounts for food is 15% for decent service, 20% for great service.....in a bar I tip about 40 tp 50 cents a drink so if I order a round of 4 drinks I will tip 2 dollars and I usually round up to the nearest dollar...

taxis.....I tip around 15% or so....

BTW.....its been nearly 20 years since I last enjoyed a Sunday Session with you Aussies....I could go for one right now!

BTW.....its been nearly 20 years since I last enjoyed a Sunday Session with you Aussies....I could go for one right now!

hey those sunday sessions are great there is only 1 problem with your suggestion and that is today is Saturday not Sunday :D:D

hey those sunday sessions are great there is only 1 problem with your suggestion and that is today is Saturday not Sunday :D:D

Hell, its only Friday here but I could go for one regardless! :p

We Yanks are a little slow, it is only Friday here.

I usually tip:

At least a dollar a drink, 15-20%.

About 18-20% for served food.

At Starbucks or Subway, about .50, or whatever change I get.

Hotel housekeeping, $5/day.

Taxis, 15%.

Valet parking, $2 plus any parking charges.

Baggage handlers, $1-2/bag, depending on the size.

Buffet, about $1 per person.

I'm a Canadian and while we follow the US tipping customs I don't think we're quite as focused on the practice.

Standard for meals or bar service is 15% with an adjustment up or down by 5% depending on the service. If the service is bad I don't tip!

Taxis or hairdressers are 15%

Bell boys/baggage handlers are typically $1 per bag

I wouldn't tip in any place that had counter service (Starbucks or Subway)

Most other tipping ie drinks at the buffet or cup of coffee are discretional (usually a dollar or two based on service)

I rarely tip the housekeeping staff in hotels unless I actually have some sort of relationship with them or ask them to do something special

If a gratuity was already addded like the 15% on drinks on the Princess Line I would not tip any additional amounts

My two cents (or 15%)

Susan

i know tipping is a very hot subject on here regarding cruises with a lot of aussies and uk people saying it isent our culture to do it and the americans saying we are cheap and should do so cause they are american ships and so on.

so what im asking is at home who do you tip and appox how much and for what services do you tip and not tip.

example:- when you go for dinner at a restruant you tip there but if you go to mcdonalds do you give a tip when you receive your food,

do you give the bartender a tip each tip you buy a drink or just at the end of the night and so on

Not american ships.

per Carnival:

Carnival Corporation is incorporated in Panama, and Carnival plc is incorporated in England and Wales. Ships are registered under the Bermuda Flag I believe.

As per tipping housekeeping I never do, except on a cruise. Most people make a decent wage. People that are waiters or waitresses in restaurants are paid less than minimum wage, because they are expected to make it up in tips. In my life time I have not tipped in a restaurant maybe 3 times because of really bad service and then I spoke to the manager when we paid the bill and told them why we were not leaving a tip. When I was 16 - 18 I had several diff jobs and some were as a waitress. So I realize what it entails and do reward good work. I also will give a lesser tip for mediocre work. I believe that if you take care of your customers you should be rewarded, and if you treat them badly or just don't care, you shouldn't get a good tip and maybe none at all. I never tip at fast food counters since they are paid above min. wage. Now if they really did something to deserve it then I would give them a tip. What I don't understand is that when we were in Scotland and asked people about tipping (asked other customers) they said it was customery to tip 15%. But yet on the boards some people say they don't expect a tip. So I don't know what the real story is over there. What do you mates do over there?

What I don't understand is that when we were in Scotland and asked people about tipping (asked other customers) they said it was customery to tip 15%. But yet on the boards some people say they don't expect a tip. So I don't know what the real story is over there. What do you mates do over there?

The general tipping amount is 10% for meals. If a restaurant automatically adds a service charge, that would typically be up to 12%. Tipping is not customary in bars (although they won't be offened if you do!). In restaurants it is perfectly acceptable not to tip at all; if the service isn't up to scratch.

Interestingly (in the UK) it is still legal to pay workers below the minimum wage as long as the tips make the hourly rate up to the minimum wage (with the employer having to make up any short fall). From October, however, our law is changing and tips must be paid in addition to the minimum wage. This change is largley supported by the public.

Being British and living there for the first 65 years of my life I cannot understand the general idea that Brits don't tip They do There is a tipping culture in the UK whatever anyone says. I always tipped restaurants, hairdressers, taxis, hotel housekeeping and etc. However we dont make a big thing about it; it is just done.

Now I live in Australia I still tip restaurants, hotel, taxis etc but not hairdressers, manacurists etc. It is not expected.

The most hype I have ever heard about tipping is on this site and I am sure stirrers start threads just for this purpose - just my thoughts.:o

Interestingly (in the UK) it is still legal to pay workers below the minimum wage as long as the tips make the hourly rate up to the minimum wage (with the employer having to make up any short fall). From October, however, our law is changing and tips must be paid in addition to the minimum wage. This change is largley supported by the public.

In New Hampshire the minimum wage is about $7.50hr. Restaurants only have to pay 45%, or about $3.375hr...it's a tough life for food servers.

Steve

As a yank that has lived in Europe, I concur with the facts pointed out by other posters; they are NOT American ships nor American shipping companies, technically or historically (some aspects are US, most aren't).

I also think that US restaurant tipping has become fairly redicules - but when in Rome...

I tip as suggested by the line on ships - because I've chosen to patronize the lines highly international product and it is expected of me by way of 'suggestion'. I'm not in Brisbane or London, New York or Paris. I go into it knowing the non-compensation of crew and how that benefits the fare structure I choose to enjoy. To do otherwise is HIGHLY inappropriate regardless of where I'm from or where I'm sailing.

Archived