Dining Attire

sbcoach

Sailing in June on the CB. Can men wear dress shorts and a nice shirt to dinner or only long pants?

Shorts are one of the only no-no's in the evening for the diningroom, and one of the only dress code violations that will usually be turned away. During the day, shorts will be fine. But not in the evening for dinner in the diningroom on Princess. Enjoy!

I haven't seen men wearing shorts to dinner on formal nights. But yes, I've seen like "golf attire" on men on perhaps the first and last nights of the cruise, or evenings when everything seems to be alot more informal (nights when the ship is in port late) and I've thought it looked just fine (personally this would be the dressy type of shorts & attire worn to the golf club).

But these are just my opinion......at what point would you be turned away?........frankly, I don't know if you would be turned away, except maybe on formal nights (and even formal nights have gotten way too casual for me!).

Just my opinion......

I like to dress up and I like to be around others who also dress in neat, clean outfits........I've seen gym attire in the dining room and jeans with holes, hanging down past the butt......I personnally find this rude (but I must be getting old at 50 because I find this same outfit rude at church)....but that's just me.........and if you hadn't asked I'd have kept my opinion to myself.

I haven't seen men wearing shorts to dinner on formal nights. But yes, I've seen like "golf attire" on men on perhaps the first and last nights of the cruise, or evenings when everything seems to be alot more informal (nights when the ship is in port late) and I've thought it looked just fine (personally this would be the dressy type of shorts & attire worn to the golf club).

But these are just my opinion......at what point would you be turned away?........frankly, I don't know if you would be turned away, except maybe on formal nights (and even formal nights have gotten way too casual for me!).

Just my opinion......

I like to dress up and I like to be around others who also dress in neat, clean outfits........I've seen gym attire in the dining room and jeans with holes, hanging down past the butt......I personnally find this rude (but I must be getting old at 50 because I find this same outfit rude at church)....but that's just me.........and if you hadn't asked I'd have kept my opinion to myself.

Direct from Princess:

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Direct from Princess:

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Toto gave the definitive answer.. No more posts needed.. :D:D

Direct from Princess:

Onboard Attire

Smart Casual Evenings:

It's very sad when the have specifically mention that you have to wear shoes.

Bill

WHAT???? we still need the 45 posts agreeing with Toto..make that 44 after yours! ;) :p

:D:D

On Sapphire Princess, my FIRST and ONLY cruise with PRINCESS, I did observe men in shorts in the MDR. I was looking because of all the what not to wear posts before I went. I did see shorts every night except formal night but no jeans. Of course I have pics (choose not to post) of dinner mates wearing shorts in the MDR. I was looking, therefore what you see depends on what you seek. I agree with Toto, those are the posted rules;).

Conclusion - Princess does NOT follow their own guidelines. My observation was on Sapphire Princess, so on other ships they might do a much better job:)

Sailing in June on the CB. Can men wear dress shorts and a nice shirt to dinner or only long pants?

I have seen shorts before on the first day, but if you have longkhaki slacks that is the norm. I dress shirt and nice pants are the common sense choice. Many others will dress much more formal and others you'll find do dress as down they can and do get in :mad: Be comfortable and tasteful and you'll be infe.

Other posters will of course post the Princess Dress code ;)

Direct from Princess:

Onboard Attire

Smart Casual Evenings:

Have your husband bring some casual pants (Haggar, etc.) for dinners, and keep the shorts for daytime use.

I've even had the Maitre'D look at me askance when wearing shorts to lunch in the main dining room, but they allow it for the mid day meal, whereas they would probably not for the evening meal.

I have seen shorts before on the first day, but if you have longkhaki slacks that is the norm. I dress shirt and nice pants are the common sense choice. Many others will dress much more formal and others you'll find do dress as down they can and do get in :mad: Be comfortable and tasteful and you'll be infe.

Other posters will of course post the Princess Dress code ;)

That's right. And Toto already did post it.

One can be entirely comfortable in long pants. Remember they keep the restaurant well air conditioned.

Hi sbcoach. All our cruises have been caribbean based (except last year) and certainly no shorts were seen. However last years cruise from Australia to and around Fiji, shorts were in abundance and sometimes jeans.(except formal nights) Can only think that maybe because majority of passengers were from australia it was a bit more lenient. But whatever the reason,I followed everyone else and was delighted. Back to the caribbean this year so I will be a naughty boy if i try getting away with shorts :D Anyway be daring, you only live once;)

bullstick:cool:

In spite of reports of seeing people in the dining room in shorts for dinner, this is one of the few dress code no-no's that is enforced pretty consistently.

In spite of reports of seeing people in the dining room in shorts for dinner, this is one of the few dress code no-no's that is enforced pretty consistently.

Absolutely... probably the men in shorts on Kooljamming's cruise got in during the first rush when the doors open. It'd be easier to "sneak" in with a mass of people.. :)

The maitre d allowed them the first night on our Crown cruise last month. I asked him about it when I saw people in shorts there. He said it was a first night only thing. I am not sure if this is the same on other ships.

The maitre d allowed them the first night on our Crown cruise last month. I asked him about it when I saw people in shorts there. He said it was a first night only thing. I am not sure if this is the same on other ships.
I kind of doubt it as I've never seen it but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I kind of doubt it as I've never seen it but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

On the first night, I think all lines play a bit loose with the rules. On the first evening on my Crown cruise, there were several in shorts. It wasn't isolated and it didn't bother me. The only thing that impaired my first dinner in the main dining room was the food.:D

It's very sad when the have specifically mention that you have to wear shoes.

Bill

Absolutely... probably the men in shorts on Kooljamming's cruise got in during the first rush when the doors open. It'd be easier to "sneak" in with a mass of people.. :)

Hi sbcoach. All our cruises have been caribbean based (except last year) and certainly no shorts were seen. However last years cruise from Australia to and around Fiji, shorts were in abundance and sometimes jeans.(except formal nights) Can only think that maybe because majority of passengers were from australia it was a bit more lenient. But whatever the reason,I followed everyone else and was delighted. Back to the caribbean this year so I will be a naughty boy if i try getting away with shorts :D Anyway be daring, you only live once;)

bullstick:cool:

I have seen the occasional pair of shorts in the DR but in order to make it past the checkpoint you have to travel in the center of the pack in order to not be picked off by the Maitre'D. He's usually pretty busy & can't possible check all the people especially when the doors first open & the crowd rushes in.

btw- My wife wore her Princess slippers on one cruise for every dinner in the dr & was never questioned once, so shoes are not really a requirement. :D

On the first night, I think all lines play a bit loose with the rules. On the first evening on my Crown cruise, there were several in shorts. It wasn't isolated and it didn't bother me. The only thing that impaired my first dinner in the main dining room was the food.:D
I believe for the fist night the assumption on somewhat irregular dress is that the luggage didn't arrive in the cabin, especially for the 6PM traditional seating. That's why the leniency. After that there are few valid excuses, excepting maybe Shogun's cruises where the luggage never arrived...:rolleyes:, and he talked with the Maitre'D about the situation.

I believe for the fist night the assumption on somewhat irregular dress is that the luggage didn't arrive in the cabin, especially for the 6PM traditional seating. That's why the leniency. After that there are few valid excuses, excepting maybe Shogun's cruises where the luggage never arrived...:rolleyes:, and he talked with the Maitre'D about the situation.

This was in anytime dining around 6:30 and Maitre D told me that it's the usual for the first evening. He said that they told the people in shorts that it was okay for day 1 but not other days and that there was no way he would ask people after a long day of travel to go back to their rooms and change. I thought it was all totally reasonable.

Archived