Blue Mountain Coffee

AZchieffan

Has anyone bought Blue Mountain Coffee in Mobay? If so how much was it?

I only went to one tiny gift shop and all they had was ground coffee. I think it was $25-$30/pound. But, I wanted whole beans. So, sadly, I left Jamaica without getting my coffee. :(

I only went to one tiny gift shop and all they had was ground coffee. I think it was $25-$30/pound. But, I wanted whole beans. So, sadly, I left Jamaica without getting my coffee. :(

I will let you know if I find it when I get back in a few weeks.

Is it good coffee? I might get something like that for my dad. Never know what to get him !!!

It is great coffee. They only pick the beans when they are cherry red, unlike most coffee's that pick the beans when they are still green. It sells for $40 a lb in the states and $60 a lb in Japan. I figured it has to be cheaper there, since its from Jamaica.

We found whole bean in Island Village, but that was Ocho Rios, the only place I saw it in Mo Bay was at the airport, but that was mainly because we didn't go anywhere else in Mo'Bay. I am sure you will find it somewhere. It seemed to range from $22 - $28 per lb depending on the store.

Is it good coffee? I might get something like that for my dad. Never know what to get him !!!

It's the best coffee you'll ever taste. Don't get it for him! He'll be hooked for life and go into bankruptcy for having to spend all his money on cofee. :p

Bought some in april from a shop at the pier. They had whole beans and ground. We paid around $20 a lb for the ground. Don't remember how much whole beans were.

Perfect. Thanks. I was hoping to get it there. And $20 is a good price.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Mountain coffee is my major purchase in Jamaica. I normally purchase 15-20 pounds each year.

When in Mo-bay port, there is a store that sells it in 10 pound bags (beans). It runs around $16 per pound, but a lot less than the $40 dollars a pound they charge in Dallas. When in Negril (Sandals), I can normally negotiate around $12-14 per pound in town.

Where is the best and cheapest place to buy in Ocho Rios or St Annes Bay?

In Ocho Rios there is a grocery store just a few minutes from the port. From the port, turn left and walk less than 10 minutes. The grocery store will be on your left.

There are a few small courtyard malls near port and they have the coffee in many shops as well as tasting stations in the courtyard. Be sure it says 100% Blue Mountain. Just like buying Kona in Hawaii as they also sell blends and rip you off for overpriced Maxwell house.

HMMMMM. If I could only buy one thing in Mo'Bay I would pick Blue Mountain coffee. We paid $16.00 a pound for the ground coffee at The Shops at Rose Hall. If you go the Rose Hall Plantation (Haunted House of Annie Palmer) tour it will include a stop at The Shops at Rose Hall which is small but has upscale shops not the usual tourisy shops you find in the center of town.

Only a person who truly loves coffee (I am not talking about Cappuccino's or Mochas) will have a deep appreciation of this coffee. The way the beans are grown, taken care of and then picked with care and processed.

I am hoping that one of these days the cruise ships will sponsor a tour of a true <Blue Moutain> coffee plantation.

I bought some of the coffee beans for about 20$ per pound in a gift shop outside the port that was NOT the stuff they advertise as fake. It was in the blue foil bag with burlap covering. The expiration date was well into 2011. When I got it home, I realized I'd made a big donation to the Jamaican economy. My coffee was was way less than Maxwell house. The samples they were giving in the store must have been the real thing, it was delicious. oh well.

Probably more than anyone wants to know about coffee: www.ciboj.org

Basically, there are certification procedures in place, but it's very hard to keep up with all the crafty imitators.

If you click through the site, there is a page listing approved dealers (bottom left side of page) and some examples of proper labeling (label link in middle left side of page). There is also a powerpoint presentation that I only advise reading if you have lots of time available.

Archived