Help with Athens Schedule

macaroni

Want to do the Acropolis early before the crowds. Also plan on seeing Zeus, Plaka and Agora. Where should we buy our entrance tickets? Can they be bought ahead of time online? What is the best route to take. We are planning on taking the metro into Athens from the ship.

We took the metro from Piraeus to Omonia and transferred to the red line to Akropoli stop ... which exits at the base of the Acropolis and next to the Acropolis Museum. This stop puts you closest to the Acropolis.

Both times we've been, we've obtained our tickets at the Acropolis entrance ... if you arrive by 9 or 9:30, I don't think you'll have to wait to purchase them.

To take in the rest of the sites, we came down from the Acropolis on the Agora side, walked through the Agora and took in some of the sites there, and over to Monastiraki Square for some lunch. Then on to the Roman Forum, and then the Temple of Zeus. The old olympic stadium is about a 10 minute walk from here and also worth seeing.

What time does your ship dock at in Piraeus?

Susan-M.. with your way must will do double walking because Zeus is at the other side!

My opinion:

Go with metro (electric train) to Monastiraki station...

Make a walk at Plaka and see "Romaikh Agora" (Roman Forum) (there you can buy a 12 euro ticket for all archaelogical sites of Acropolis)..

At the end of Plaka start Thiseion with Agora

Next, go to Acropolis

After Acropolis go to New Museum (if you go after June 20th)

Next go to Temple of Zeus and if you want go to see Panathinaic Stadium..

if you want (and you have free time) make a walking in National garden and go to Syntagma for take metro to Monastiraki, change electric train to Pireaus..

if you don't want go to Syntagma just return to Acropolis metro station, take the line to Omonoia and at there change the electric train to Pireaus..

Search on these forums I've upload some maps with these directions..

Susan-M.. with your way must will do double walking because Zeus is at the other side!

Fafos ... the route I gave does involve more walking, ending up at the point where you started, so basically doing a circle or loop, and taking in more sights than the OP originally mentioned.

The OP wants to get to the Acropolis before the crowds, and if they take the time to explore the Agora before going to the Acropolis, I think they will lose the opportunity to see the Acropolis when it is uncrowded...unless they can get a very early start from their ship (that's why I asked the OP what time their ship docks.)

The thing about Athens is that the Acropolis is pretty much in the middle of the Antiquities Promenade. If you want to be early at the Acropolis, then you have to back track one way or the other to get to the Temple of Zeus and the Ancient Agora. It is not that long a walk, so not a big deal really. You can buy the combination ticket at any of the sites.

Check out our report and the map of the Antiquities Promenade at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

and you can see what the options are.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks Mike, for the detailed report, map and photos of the Antiquities Promenade. This is exactly what I have been looking for in planning for the Athens port of call on our Med cruise next year. Thanks for taking the trouble to post.

Susan-M.. if he come at the july or august (or last days of june) Acropolis has the same "traffic" for all hours and the heat is excessive.

if go first to Acropolis hill must go back again for see the New museum (if he go after june 20th)... then, must go to Acropolis again for take arround the hill and go to Plaka, Romean forum, Agora etc. or can go to Zeus and after go to Plaka and other areas.. I did a rough calculation and the route with this way is over 7 miles! With my way is 3 1/2 - 4 miles... is not so easy walk in Athens summer sun for 7 miles..

I make this route many years now 5-6 times per year..:p

Take a look at this map:

cruise3.jpg

1. Thiseion "electric train - metro" station

2. Agora and others

3. Parthenon and theaters

4. Acropolis Museum

5. "Stiles Olympiou Dios" (Zeus temple)

6. Panathinaikon Stadium

7. Gardens

8. Syntagma Square

9. Plaka Area

10 Monastiraki - metro station for return to port (you must take the electric train, not metro)

Fafos, your map is great! That's pretty much the route I had in mind above, but to start at #3 (Acropolis) and work around the route clockwise, ending at #4, the Acropolis Museum. The only additional distance to walk is between #1 & #10 on your map, so maybe an additional 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile?

the distance between 1 and 10 is 1/3 mile (maybe less)

your start is the point #4 not #3 (metro is not going up the hill (yet):p )

the other think is that you must go to Omonoia and change a train to Acropolis..

another think is than entrance of Thiseion Agora is more "quiet" than main Acropolis entrance

another think:p is (if you have time) you can go to National Museum at Patission street.. you take the metro (electric train) from point 10 (Monastiraki) and go to Victorias metro station.. you need walking 5 minutes to National museum and after visit come back and take the train to Pireaus from Victorias station (you don't need change train somewhere else)

Fafos...you keep being very specific that we take the electric train and not the Metro....I have found nothing else referring to the Electric Train. Do we board the train in the metro station? Is it different from the Green line of the Metro?

your start is the point #4 not #3 (metro is not going up the hill (yet):p )

Starting point ... as in the 'first site to visit'.

the other think is that you must go to Omonoia and change a train to Acropolis..

Adding approx. 10 minutes to your total travel time?

another think is than entrance of Thiseion Agora is more "quiet" than main Acropolis entrance

We didn't have anyone lined up in front of us at the main entrance either time that we went...probably because we arrived early enough.

I know many people enjoy walking from Thissio or Monastiraki metro to the Acropolis for the views, but if you are going to walk through the Agora, it's nice to be able to enjoy the highlights there. If I was heading to the Acropolis first thing in the morning, I would be reluctant to take time to explore the Agora because I would be concerned about arriving at the Acropolis just as the masses of other tourists do.

I've only been to the Acropolis twice, and that was in Sept. and Oct., but arriving shortly after opening time was wonderful because we got in quickly and were able to enjoy it crowd-free. :)

Fafos...you keep being very specific that we take the electric train and not the Metro....I have found nothing else referring to the Electric Train. Do we board the train in the metro station? Is it different from the Green line of the Metro?

No, green Line is "electric train" or "ISAP"... this was our first "metro": http://www.isap.gr/eng/page.asp?id=43

normally was working as a train between Athens and Pireaus and next years make it bigger and some parts underground.. Metro lines are always underground (exept some miles to airport)..

Greeks know the green line as "Electric train" (spell "ilektrikos").. if you ask from a Greek at Athens give you directions to metro but you want go to Pireaus with electric train I'm sure will send you to the wrong direction:p

How many entrances are there to the Acropolis. Rick Steves just talks about 1. If we go in from 1 side can you exit at another? How is the Thisso metro stop as far as distance to the entrance?

How many entrances are there to the Acropolis. Rick Steves just talks about 1. If we go in from 1 side can you exit at another? How is the Thisso metro stop as far as distance to the entrance?

There are 4 entrances but the main are 2: Thiseion (Agora) and Acropolis (Pikioni)

There is one from Plaka at North side and on more at the west side of the hill..

If we go in from 1 side can you exit at another?

Yes, I recommend the southeastern (Acropoli metro stop) entrance to save about 100 steps. Your climb is beginning from higher up the slope, many more gradual ramps, and many, many less steps (and few have handrails).

Look at more guidebooks to get an idea of what is involved--we have done both routes and I will say that the "Fafos" route is the one I like better--if you are concerned about missing things in the Agora you can just climb straight up the the Acropolis going around the Agora(neat little neighborhood)--get your ticket at the smaller ticket office--then follow the Fafos route around the back--going back to the Agora at the end of your day. I still think this is a shorter quicker route since getting there early is what you want. We are in our 60's--the climb is nothing to worry about.

That is what we did--spending time on the way down to see the theater on the way to Zeus and the Olympic stadium. If the new museum is open this route would make sense so you could stop there on the way back also.

As you can tell--only you can decide--and there is no right or wrong choice.

Look at more guidebooks to get an idea of what is involved--we have done both routes and I will say that the "Fafos" route is the one I like better--if you are concerned about missing things in the Agora you can just climb straight up the the Acropolis going around the Agora(neat little neighborhood)--get your ticket at the smaller ticket office--then follow the Fafos route around the back--going back to the Agora at the end of your day. I still think this is a shorter quicker route since getting there early is what you want. We are in our 60's--the climb is nothing to worry about.

That is what we did--spending time on the way down to see the theater on the way to Zeus and the Olympic stadium. If the new museum is open this route would make sense so you could stop there on the way back also.

As you can tell--only you can decide--and there is no right or wrong choice.

You have gotten me a bit more confused......can you clarify exactly what you did? Did you take the metro to the Akropoli stop?

First--look at your map of Athens and your guidebook---I use mainly two guidebooks Rick Steves and DK Eyewitness--I like the details of the DK maps.

On your map look at the Monastiraki square (and train stop) . From there we climbed up (not hard you can see the Acropolis)--probably going up through the Anafiotika neighborhood--very very pretty, reminded me that yes--I am in Greece. There may have been signs along the way to the Acropolis. got to a small entrance gate and went up to the Acropolis--less crowded than the other gate we have used.

Compare by looking at the Akropoli stop, you pass the new museum along the pedestrian road that is flat, then after the Theatre you walk up a series of switch back ramps and paths through olive trees.

On your map look at the Acropolis--the entrance is through the Propylaia, no matter where you pay to get in.

It really is a matter of what you want to do--there is no wrong choice!!!

Looking at your map again--one suggested route when you leave is to go down the left side (with your back to the Acropolis) past the Theater--stop in the new museum (if it is open) --cross the street at Hadrian's Arch--go in to see the Temple of Zeus (I really liked this!!) Walk over to the stadium--walk through the gardens to Syntagma---walk down Ermou to Monastiraki and you are right by the Agora and Forum (Tower of the Winds) I believe this is the Fafos route. At some point stop and get a gyro from the spinning meat--sing Greek songs--enjoy yourself.

Looking at your map (right now I am looking at the DKEyewitness guide book map of central Athens) you can see that the sites are close to each other.

You hear everybody talk about walking long distances and heat. the best thing you can do is to start to walk at home--outside--- TODAY---I mean it--GET UP AND START TO WALK---OUTSIDE--not on a treadmill in an airconditioned gym. In addition to planning you have to sort of train for a trip if you tend to not be active every day in your normal life. I have been amazed by how out of shape people are when they decide to travel--especially young people. You are spending a bit of money for this trip--you want to enjoy it.

We took the metro from Piraeus to Omonia and transferred to the red line to Akropoli stop ... which exits at the base of the Acropolis and next to the Acropolis Museum. This stop puts you closest to the Acropolis.

Both times we've been, we've obtained our tickets at the Acropolis entrance ... if you arrive by 9 or 9:30, I don't think you'll have to wait to purchase them.

To take in the rest of the sites, we came down from the Acropolis on the Agora side, walked through the Agora and took in some of the sites there, and over to Monastiraki Square for some lunch. Then on to the Roman Forum, and then the Temple of Zeus. The old olympic stadium is about a 10 minute walk from here and also worth seeing.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Will take your advice and do this route. Is Monaastiraki Square considered the Plaka? Thanks for the post. Theresa

What time does your ship dock at in Piraeus?

This is exactly what I was looking for in the Athens posts. Will take your advice and do this route. Is Monaastiraki Square considered the Plaka? We will be in Athens in September, arriving at 7 am. Thanks for the post. Theresa

This is exactly what I was looking for in the Athens posts. Will take your advice and do this route. Is Monaastiraki Square considered the Plaka? We will be in Athens in September, arriving at 7 am. Thanks for the post. Theresa

Hi Theresa,

Monastiraki Square is in the Plaka...it's a 'bustling' place with lots of restaurants to choose from.

Here's a map which I found helpful for planning ... the scale gives you an idea of distances and the photos (marked "P") are interesting. http://www.chem.uoa.gr/Location/AthensMap/Athensmap.htm

Enjoy your day there!:)

Hi Theresa,

Monastiraki Square is in the Plaka...it's a 'bustling' place with lots of restaurants to choose from.

Here's a map which I found helpful for planning ... the scale gives you an idea of distances and the photos (marked "P") are interesting. http://www.chem.uoa.gr/Location/AthensMap/Athensmap.htm

Enjoy your day there!:)

This is great. Thank you. I was just in Ontario not to long ago for business. I work for Regus Business Center and we have several business locations in Canada. I love Ontario and my son's Hockey family lives in Ontario since he was 6 years old. 26 now. I am in Boston, so it has been really rainy weather and cold the last few weeks. Again, thanks for the Information and anything you can provide with getting off the ship and getting to the train to Acropolis would be very welcome. Thanks

Fafos and others,

I am travelling with my spouse and two children (8 & 10) in July. Definitely want to see Acropolis and museum and probably the National Archeological Museum. I don't want to have the kids walking too much in the heat, but would like to see the sights. Any recommended route? Thinking of getting off at the Thission stop, walking through the Agora and Acropolis and then to the Acropolis Museum. Getting on the metro at the Acropolis stop and then to the Archeological Museum from the Omonia or Victoria stops - and then back to the ship.

Are the other sites near the Acropolis Museum close enough and worth the extra walking? Can one get a taxi from some of the other sites to the Archeological Museum? Any good places to stop for something to eat on that journey?

Thanks in advance.

The big problem with heat start after 10-11:00AM at Acropolis area... in museums and metro station you don't have heat problem... museums need over 1 hour for explore (special national museum)... if you go first in any of museums you must go to Acropolis area when sun is burn..

my opinion is Thiseion-Agora=>Parthenon=>Acropolis Museum=>National Museum

about lunch, don't eat something around Omonoia or National museum... I don't trust them... you can take the metro from Victoria to Pireaus and stop at Monastiraki.. near station are some quality restaurants (ex. Mpairaktaris)..

if you visit Athens after July 15th-20th you don't meet traffic and taxis are more easy...

Any recommendation if we couldn't get there until 9:30 or 10?

I was thinking we could skip the Agora and going straight to the Acropolis. Which stop is the easiest for this - Monastiraki or Acropolis?

We could then see the Acropolis Museum, Acropolis stop to Monastiraki (switching at Syntagma square) for lunch. Then to the Agora. Monastiraki or Thission stop to Victoria stop for the National Museum. Victoria stop back to the ship. Seems like a very convoluted trip, but it doesn't seem like the walking or heat should be too bad.

Or would you still recommend the original route, but try to make the Agora stop brief?

Archived