Help with Athens Schedule

macaroni

Any recommendation if we couldn't get there until 9:30 or 10?

I was thinking we could skip the Agora and going straight to the Acropolis. Which stop is the easiest for this - Monastiraki or Acropolis?

We could then see the Acropolis Museum, Acropolis stop to Monastiraki (switching at Syntagma square) for lunch. Then to the Agora. Monastiraki or Thission stop to Victoria stop for the National Museum. Victoria stop back to the ship. Seems like a very convoluted trip, but it doesn't seem like the walking or heat should be too bad.

Or would you still recommend the original route, but try to make the Agora stop brief?

I don't know how much time you will have for visit these areas.. the original route need over 6 hours (with lunch)... for be sure, you must visit acropolis hill first of all because of heat (today is over 100 F and is first days of June:p)...

if you don't want visit agora go to Acropolis metro station... is most easy from there.. if you don't meat big heat you can walk from Syntagma to Monasthraki.. is less 1/2 mile and (if you want) you can visit our National Church (Mitropoleos sq.) at the middle of this route.

• 4 weeks later...

We would like to go to the Acropolis first to avoid the heat, then down to the New Acropolis Museum, and then to the Agora so that we can devote adequate time to each.

After the New Acropolis Museum, is it possible to go back past the Theater of Dionysos and Theater of Irodou Attikou to the Agora without going back up to the Acropolis - or is there no path between the two? or does your ticket prevent you from taking this path?

Thanks in advance.

We would like to go to the Acropolis first to avoid the heat, then down to the New Acropolis Museum, and then to the Agora so that we can devote adequate time to each.

After the New Acropolis Museum, is it possible to go back past the Theater of Dionysos and Theater of Irodou Attikou to the Agora without going back up to the Acropolis - or is there no path between the two? or does your ticket prevent you from taking this path?

Thanks in advance.

After Acropolis hill you must visit the theaters... next go to museum (exit map point A) and after you follow the Theorias street (map point B) for go in Thisseion's Agora.. you don't have problem with tickets.. you can visit the sites with the order who you like..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=37.969451,+23.728300&daddr=37.970323,23.722431&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=37.970777,23.726209&sspn=0.005988,0.009645&ie=UTF8&ll=37.969906,23.725362&spn=0.005988,0.009645&t=h&z=17

Fafos,

Thanks for all your help and invaluable insight.

If you had to choose between seeing the National Archeological Museum or the rest of the normal circuit (Zeus Temple, Panathinaic Stadium, National Garden, Syntagma Square, Romean Forum), which would you recommend?

Fafos,

Thanks for all your help and invaluable insight.

If you had to choose between seeing the National Archeological Museum or the rest of the normal circuit (Zeus Temple, Panathinaic Stadium, National Garden, Syntagma Square, Romean Forum), which would you recommend?

National Archeological Museum.. but if you go to Plaka you will see and Romean Forum..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fafos

We will be in Athens on 27th September 2009 - International Tourist Day- is there anything in particular we should be seeing.

Further, if we do the Acropolis from Thision first, is it easy to get to the Changing of the Guard at 11 a.m. next and then back track to the new Museum, and after that a bit of shopping in the Plaka.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks in advance.

Your ticket has several tear off parts for the different venues. You can do them in any order. However, I think from the New Acropolis Museum the theater of Dionysos and the Ancient Agora are opposite directions.

Check the map of the Antiquities Promenade at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest. Our cruise (Oosterdam) arrives Piraeus 8am and leaves again at 5pm. How much time do we need to allow to get into Athens via the metro, and what time should we back on the train to make sure we can't possibly miss the boat? Thanks for your help...:confused:

Hi Fafos

We will be in Athens on 27th September 2009 - International Tourist Day- is there anything in particular we should be seeing.

Further, if we do the Acropolis from Thision first, is it easy to get to the Changing of the Guard at 11 a.m. next and then back track to the new Museum, and after that a bit of shopping in the Plaka.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

my opinion is this route:

Thision=> Acropolis Hill => Syntagma at 11:00am (metro from Acropolis)=> Acropolis museum (metro from Syntagma)=> Plaka (metro from Acropolis to Syntagma)=> Monastiraki (take metro-electric train to Pireaus port)

Don't walk from Acropolis museum to Plaka.. you will tired without reason...

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest. Our cruise (Oosterdam) arrives Piraeus 8am and leaves again at 5pm. How much time do we need to allow to get into Athens via the metro, and what time should we back on the train to make sure we can't possibly miss the boat? Thanks for your help...:confused:

if you walking from port to metro station you will need 40-50 minutes arrive to Athens... the same time is and from Athens to Piraeus...

.....what time should we back on the train to make sure we can't possibly miss the boat? Thanks for your help...:confused:

I would plan to leave Athens at around 3 p.m. which should put you back at the ship by 4 (if you walk from the Piraeus metro back to the ship.)

This gives you a bit of a cushion in case of any delays.

We will be in Athens by way of Piraeus on November 18, 2009, but our ship, NCL Jade doesn't dock until 11 am. We have until 8 PM.

Should we run straight to the Acropolis, like most do in the summer and heat OR should we see a few sights on our way to the acropolis? I don't think we will have to worry about heat in the middle of November. I also don't want to be on the acropolis with the ships tour, I think after they leave would be a good time for our visit.

What do y'all think?

I normally would agree with you, but do not delay your visit too long. Because you will be there in November, be sure to check the closing time for the Acropolis. Maybe Fafos, frequent contributor from Athens, knows.

My 2008 revision of DK Eyewitness Travel Top 10 Athens guide (the only Greek guidebook I have at home) states that the Acropolis closes at 3 PM at that time of year.

We will be in Athens by way of Piraeus on November 18, 2009, but our ship, NCL Jade doesn't dock until 11 am. We have until 8 PM.

Should we run straight to the Acropolis, like most do in the summer and heat OR should we see a few sights on our way to the acropolis? I don't think we will have to worry about heat in the middle of November. I also don't want to be on the acropolis with the ships tour, I think after they leave would be a good time for our visit.

What do y'all think?

that who you must afraid is the rain, not the heat.. November temperatures are around 65-70 degrees.. this month is easy for Acropolis but I don't know how many people be with your cruise and if all they go to Acropolis... better start from Thission - Agora your tour..

Hi Fafos,

I'll be arranging for a taxi to take us to the Acropolis, Plaka, Syntagma Square and National Museum in Athens. However, 1 member of our group told me yesterday that he really cannot walk much without resting frequently - 45 minutes is what he said would be comfortable with rest periods. Which entrance to the Acropolis has the least number of steps, or has the elevator. Am I crazy to even try and do this itinerary with his limitations? Thanks for your help! Pug1

Hi Fafos,

I'll be arranging for a taxi to take us to the Acropolis, Plaka, Syntagma Square and National Museum in Athens. However, 1 member of our group told me yesterday that he really cannot walk much without resting frequently - 45 minutes is what he said would be comfortable with rest periods. Which entrance to the Acropolis has the least number of steps, or has the elevator. Am I crazy to even try and do this itinerary with his limitations? Thanks for your help! Pug1

the most easy entrance is the main: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=37.970235,23.722422&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=37.970971,23.724611&sspn=0.005988,0.009645&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

(point A is where taxi stop, you must walking straight for Propylaia entrance)

elevator is at the other side but they allow only persons with wheelchairs use it..

Acropolis hill is not an easy site for persons with walking problems... he must be careful the slippery streets in there..

Thanks for your help and the map, Fafos. I think he will try to do it if there are places where he can sit for a little while. Otherwise he' ll stay with the taxi driver.

Bring him to my house to give him tsipouro and will go faster than you at Acropolis:p

We are flying into Athens airport September 4th, arriving 11 am, then we have to take the ship's transfer to the pier with our luggage. I am not sure how long all that will take...any ideas?

Our ship does not sail until 8pm, but I have heard that the lifeboat drill is at 5:30, so I imagine we have to be on board by then.

You all have such good advice...do you think we will have any time to leave the pier and see a small bit of Athens? Any suggestions what would be best to do? We are not interested in climbing the steps to the Acropolis, but I would hope that we would be able to see it from somewhere before we leave Athens...any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

We are flying into Athens airport September 4th, arriving 11 am, then we have to take the ship's transfer to the pier with our luggage. I am not sure how long all that will take...any ideas?

Our ship does not sail until 8pm, but I have heard that the lifeboat drill is at 5:30, so I imagine we have to be on board by then.

You all have such good advice...do you think we will have any time to leave the pier and see a small bit of Athens? Any suggestions what would be best to do? We are not interested in climbing the steps to the Acropolis, but I would hope that we would be able to see it from somewhere before we leave Athens...any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

if you arrive 11am at airport you will be at port around 12-12:30... you have 5 hours for go to Plaka for a walk and a nice lunch with view to Acropolis:D

Fafos - thank you so much for your quick reply! How would you recommend that we get there? Subway? Taxi? Walk?

Thanks!

You can go there with a taxi (taxi drivers in port are like diamonds, rare and expensive:p) or with subway (metro)... metro from port is 20 minutes walk or you can take the bus #843.. when you take the metro you must depart at "Monastiraki" station... there start the Monastiraki-Plaka area... make a walking in there for see the place and next find a nice restaurant - taverna in Plaka with good view to Acropolis...

mzk90.. Parakalo:D

Take a look at this map:

cruise3.jpg

1. Thiseion "electric train - metro" station

2. Agora and others

3. Parthenon and theaters

4. Acropolis Museum

5. "Stiles Olympiou Dios" (Zeus temple)

6. Panathinaikon Stadium

7. Gardens

8. Syntagma Square

9. Plaka Area

10 Monastiraki - metro station for return to port (you must take the electric train, not metro)

Fafos (or anyone else) --

I'm trying to plan our Athens day. We dock at 6am, so being early is no problem, and we have to be back on board our ship by 5pm at latest.

Using the numbers on your map above, these are the things we want to do:

1. From ship to Monastiraki stop (10, to make it easy rather than change trains)

2. Quick stop at Roman agora to see the Tower of the Winds (not sure on your map of exact location?)

3. Acropolis (3)

4. Greek Agora (2)

5. Back to Monastiraki (10); take Metro to National Archeological Museum (Viktorias stop)

6. Viktorias station --> return to Piraeus.

This is basically the route described by Coral Reef in her post on DIY Athens....

My only issue is that I'd also like to see the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Arch of Hadrian (last time we only got to drive by and I'm a big fan of Hadrian :)), but it's a little out of the way of our "loop". Any suggestions on when best to fit this in? Or is it going to involve a lot of extra walking?

Also, if we leave our ship in Piraeus around 7am, will that get us to the antiquities area around 8am?

thanks!

Archived