Help with Athens Schedule

macaroni

Fafos (or anyone else) --

I'm trying to plan our Athens day. We dock at 6am, so being early is no problem, and we have to be back on board our ship by 5pm at latest.

Using the numbers on your map above, these are the things we want to do:

1. From ship to Monastiraki stop (10, to make it easy rather than change trains)

2. Quick stop at Roman agora to see the Tower of the Winds (not sure on your map of exact location?)

3. Acropolis (3)

4. Greek Agora (2)

5. Back to Monastiraki (10); take Metro to National Archeological Museum (Viktorias stop)

6. Viktorias station --> return to Piraeus.

This is basically the route described by Coral Reef in her post on DIY Athens....

My only issue is that I'd also like to see the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Arch of Hadrian (last time we only got to drive by and I'm a big fan of Hadrian :)), but it's a little out of the way of our "loop". Any suggestions on when best to fit this in? Or is it going to involve a lot of extra walking?

Also, if we leave our ship in Piraeus around 7am, will that get us to the antiquities area around 8am?

thanks!

Tower of the Winds is just west of number 9 on the map, just east of the southern end of the Agora Museum (Stoa of Attalos), which is the long brown building on the east side of the Greek Agora.

It's only a 20-minute taxi ride from Piraeus port to the antiquities area. With the metro, it is a 20-minute walk from the cruiseport to the metro, then about a 22-minute metro ride from Piraeus to Monastiraki stop.

To see Hadrian's Arch and Temple of Olympian Zeus (and it really is great to get close to appreciate the magnitude), consider either entering or exiting the Acropolis from the southeastern end.

The metros run very often and efficiently, so you really will not be wasting time transferring at either end of your day.

Romaiki Agora is the small green area left of #9

Acropolis area open at 8:30 but new museum open at 8:00...

take a look at this route:

acro-route.gif

1. is the Monastiraki metro station..

2. next.. go to Romaiki agora

3. next.. go to Thisseion-Acropolis Agora (has an entrance from Romaiki Agora)

4. next.. go to Acropolis hill

5. next.. go to Acropolis new museum (if you don't want visit museum go to point 6)...

6. next.. go to Temple of Olympian Zeus...

7. next... turn back (from the same streets) and go to Acropolis metro station.. take the train to "Omonia"... at Omonia stop depart and take the green line train to "Kifisia" (not to Piraeus)... next stop is Victoria... visit National museum and turn back to Victoria's station for go to Piraeus...

Tower of the Winds is just west of number 9 on the map, just east of the southern end of the Agora Museum (Stoa of Attalos), which is the long brown building on the east side of the Greek Agora.

It's only a 20-minute taxi ride from Piraeus port to the antiquities area. With the metro, it is a 20-minute walk from the cruiseport to the metro, then about a 22-minute metro ride from Piraeus to Monastiraki stop.

To see Hadrian's Arch and Temple of Olympian Zeus (and it really is great to get close to appreciate the magnitude), consider either entering or exiting the Acropolis from the southeastern end.

The metros run very often and efficiently, so you really will not be wasting time transferring at either end of your day.

Since it appears we have a good cushion of time in the morning, then perhaps this is a better plan:

1. Subway to Omonia, transfer to red line to Akropolis stop.

2. Temple of Olympian Zeus and Hadrian's arch

3. Acropolis (through SE entrance)

4. Greek Agora area

5. Temple of the Winds/Roman forum

6. Monastiraki to Viktorias (then as previously detailed)

That should avoid any backtracking, and it probably won't take too long to see the Temple and arch, so we'll still arrive at the Acropolis fairly early.

Better?

Romaiki Agora is the small green area left of #9

Acropolis area open at 8:30 but new museum open at 8:00...

take a look at this route:

acro-route.gif

1. is the Monastiraki metro station..

2. next.. go to Romaiki agora

3. next.. go to Thisseion-Acropolis Agora (has an entrance from Romaiki Agora)

4. next.. go to Acropolis hill

5. next.. go to Acropolis new museum (if you don't want visit museum go to point 6)...

6. next.. go to Temple of Olympian Zeus...

7. next... turn back (from the same streets) and go to Acropolis metro station.. take the train to "Omonia"... at Omonia stop depart and take the green line train to "Kifisia" (not to Piraeus)... next stop is Victoria... visit National museum and turn back to Victoria's station for go to Piraeus...

Thanks for the great map. See my previous post -- I've proposed the reverse of this as maybe a better option (gets us to the Acropolis earlier)...? What do you think?

I would love to fit the new Acropolis museum in, but it will have to depend on timing. I want to have plenty of time at the National museum....last time felt very rushed.

Since it appears we have a good cushion of time in the morning, then perhaps this is a better plan:

1. Subway to Omonia, transfer to red line to Akropolis stop.

2. Temple of Olympian Zeus and Hadrian's arch

3. Acropolis (through SE entrance)

4. Greek Agora area

5. Temple of the Winds/Roman forum

6. Monastiraki to Viktorias (then as previously detailed)

That should avoid any backtracking, and it probably won't take too long to see the Temple and arch, so we'll still arrive at the Acropolis fairly early.

Better?

Yes, that definitely is the way I would do it.

if you finish early at National museum call me for go to a friend's "ouzeri" eating fresh fish at Victoria..:p

You are on! And if I make it through the day without killing my teenager AND see everything, I'm buying. :D:D

By the way, you are on the Emerald Princess Baltics cruise with my sister and brother in law (screen name: Savannah Rose). She says you are just as helpful with questions on the roll call. I'll tell them to buy you a drink on the cruise.

By the way, you are on the Emerald Princess Baltics cruise with my sister and brother in law (screen name: Savannah Rose). She says you are just as helpful with questions on the roll call. I'll tell them to buy you a drink on the cruise.

only one drink:(.....:p as my brother say.. Fill the glass with drink only one "finger".. but he doesn't mean an horizontal finger.. he mean a vertical finger with drink:D

What is happen with you? all family go to cruises????

You are on! And if I make it through the day without killing my teenager AND see everything, I'm buying. :D:D

Don't worry... Greek jails are easy.. like vacations:p

Archived