safes in cabins

Sophie75

I'm crusing on the Destiny - Jan 2/05....can't wait. I read that there are safes in the rooms that you use some sort of magnetic strip card to open. How does this work? How secure is it if all it takes a credit card to open? Can the room steward have easy access?

Thanks for any help!

We've used the safes on both our cruises with no problems. We choose to use our driver's licenses to activate them (they have magnetic strips on the back just like a credit card), and only the card that locked it can open it. I don't know what would happen if you lost or damaged the card you used, however. I'm sure they have some system of taking care of that, but I wouldn't worry about using their safes.

Sophie, We always take one of the magnetic cards from one of the stores, such as walmart or kmart, that are hanging on a rack in the store. We use it to open and close the safe and then hide the card in the room someplace. That way it is available for both of the people in the cabin and won't get lost. This is convenient for us.

Are all the safes the same on all the ships, we are on the Spirit. I usually put mine and my husban's wallets with credit cards in the safe until we are at a port. What would you suggest we use.

All the safes have been the same on the ships we have been on. We use a grocery store card and also leave it in the room.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable about leaving the card you use to lock your safe in the room. I had all my jewelery, extra cash, travelers checks, and credit cards in there, and I would definitely keep the card I used to lock the safe with me. Like I said I used my driver's license and I just carried it with me, along with my Sail & Sign card. On the ship I used a water wallet during the day and a purse at night for dinner, so I always had a place to carry my cards. And in port I used a fanny pack or water wallet. Plus you need to have ID with you when leaving the ship so I always had to have the license anyway.

I do like the idea of using an empty gift card though. We were also lucky enough to have 2 rooms and 2 safes, so my husband and I each had our own (I roomed with our daughter and he roomed with our son). The first time we cruised it was only the 2 of us and we only had the one safe. I remember that it was a pain having to get his driver's licence to get my stuff out. Then I started using my own license since I was in and out of the safe more than he was.

I would take a laptop security cable and lock it to something stationary in the room.
Wow....I guess I am a trusting person. I have never locked up my computer, gps, or cameras. Yes, I do put our "big" money, credit card, and jewelry in the safe, although I have been known to leave my ring holder in the bathroom with several pieces during the day and have NEVER had a problem. I also leave our little money (for tips) in the over the door clear pocket organizer and again have never had a problem.

I would be interested in hearing stories of people who have had stuff stolen from their cabin, my guess it does not happen very often and when it does Carnival takes is VERY seriously.

We used the safe on the Pride with no problem, but....

we used the S&S card to open and close it. It wasn't until a few days later that I read that you weren't supposed to use your S&S card, but continued to use it anyway, with no problem.

Anyone know why you're not supposed to use this card?

I like the empty gift card idea, too, for our next cruise (Spririt, Alaska, 6/05).

Wow....I guess I am a trusting person. I have never locked up my computer, gps, or cameras.
I've never had anything stolen either. We've left digital cameras and video cameras out in the open. I've read many threads where no one has had a problem leaving their computer out. However, the laptop security cables can be had for $20 and if you are concerned, it's a small investment.

CEWayfarer - We actually did have a problem using the S&S card with the safes in out first experience with them. About half way through the cruise it quit working. I think if it is used heavily it can eventually demagnitize the card. Maintenance had to come open the safe for us. We've never had a problem with any other type of card.

I do prefer the safes they have on the RCCL ships (at least the Voyager class). Their's have a keypad so you set a PIN number for the safe. Beats having to keep up with a card.

You shouldnt use your sign and sail card because if you lost it= you cant get into your safe. Because you will be reissued a new card that new card wont work. You will have to wait for someone to get it opened.

If you use another card- place that card inside a pocket of a shirt/jacket or pants that is hangin gin the clsoet. that way - all the people in the cabin can have access to the safe.

Archived