Journey Airport Transfers

JDS3

I think one of the couples we're sailing with is doing it this way: Flying in early to Copenhagen (they are using FF miles), taking the hotel's complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel (they're staying at a hotel nearby). On day of boarding, taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then meeting the AZ rep and using the transfers they paid extra for to transfer them to the ship. Coming back, they are taking the AZ transfer to the airport. So that's apparently working for them. Does the hotel you're using have a shuttle to do something similar?

I have had other cruise lines just flat out refuse to allow you to purchase the transfers separately at all unless you're using their air program.

We're flying in early too, but we fall into the "we'll take a taxi it's just as easy and cheaper" group. Understand your frustration though.

Thanks to Host Andy and some folks from Azamara who read the cruise critic boards, the problem has been resolved. I have purchased transfers to and from the airport on the departure and arrive days in Copenhagen. I am sure the rest of my cruise will be as pleasent as my previous cruise with Azamara last summer. Thanks to had a hand in this.

• 1 month later...

I'll cruise with Azamara August 17. We booked our own airplane tickets to Copenhagen, will take public transportation to the dock since we have adequate time. Our Costco travel agent just booked transfers for us on the way back without any problem whatsoever. Maybe your agent doesn't book a lot with Azamara and they are not willing to accommodate him.

Cruise disembarked in Copenhagen. We took a taxi from the dock to the Hilton at the airport. Cost was about $40. There were 4 adults with luggage. Taxi took credit. Azamara wanted $36pp for the airport bus. Also, at our request, we had the taxi take the slower scenic route. The driver gave us a choice. The highway is faster and cheaper. Also, the Hilton was a great place to stay....close to the airport, luggage carts free at either the airport or hotel, easy access to the metro/train to town. Taxi is the best choice.

JDS3,

I can definitely relate. We also booked our flights using frequent flyer miles. To make matters even more frustrating, we are flying into Athens 2 days before our cruise and leaving Rome 2 days after and staying at the same hotels that Azamara uses for their 2 day pre- and post-cruise packages. They would not sell us transfers, even though they provide them ON THE SAME DAYS AND TO THE SAME HOTELS! We have ended up arranging our own transportation in Athens from the airport and to the port at a very reasonable rate. We are still looking at transportation from Civitiveccia to Rome that will be reasonable (not interested at all in taking the train). Unnecessary aggravation!:mad:

I assume by now you have found the tranportation from Rome to the port, but just in case I would recommend contactingwww.Romelimostours.com. They are fantastic and when we used their services 3 years ago, they were very reasonable. Good luck and have a nice trip!!

mal1640,

Thank you for your response and kind wishes. Yes, we did end up finding transportation. As a matter of fact, we are sharing with friends we met on our roll call. Bless this site!

joelmomma

Azamara is more in the cruise travel business than ground transportation business. This may, in part, account for their excellent service on the seas and less flawless capability on land.

That being said, and has been recommended above, explain the problem to your hotel concierge and ask if they can have can have a taxi appropriate to your needs meet and transport you at a time of your convenience from the ship? Just send an email and they will greet you with a smile, a sign with your name on it and the correct vehicle. Concierges are like mothers - they are experts at making minor problems go away. Less stress with lower cost...win win.

Also, sometimes you can have the cost billed to your hotel and you get extra loyalty points if you are enrolled in a program.

You WILL enjoy your cruise.

Smooth sailing...

Archived