Journey Airport Transfers

JDS3

I am in the process of booking the August 17 Azamara Journey British Isles cruise but I have hit a snag. I have booked my own air using bonus miles. My flights are scheduled to arrive two days prior to the sailing and depart the day after the ship returns. I plan to stay in a hotel at the Copenhagen airport. I want to buy airport transfers to ease getting to and from the ship but Azamara will not sell me airport transfers in advance. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Has anyone found a way to get Azamara transfers in advance if you book your own flights? Please advise me how you did it?

I do not want the hassle of trying to find a taxi with room for two people and four bags in a city I have no previous knowledge of. My thoughts were that since I was staying at the airport and it was only a three minute walk back to the terminal, why not use transfers through the cruise line.

I am sure the concierge at the hotel would get you a taxi or when you walk back to the airport they have them lined up.

Or keep trying with AZ to use their transfer

I do not want the hassle of trying to find a taxi with room for two people and four bags in a city I have no previous knowledge of. My thoughts were that since I was staying at the airport and it was only a three minute walk back to the terminal, why not use transfers through the cruise line.

JDS3,

We have taken a cruise from Copenhagen before - the airport is lined with taxis of all sizes. They are very honest and take credit cards (if you do not have local currency). BTW, there is NO tipping required in Denmark for either the cab or in restaurants - service fees (high) are already included and tips are not expected (I am sure they would be appreciated, but not expected).

Just IMO - why not stay in a nice hotel in the city to have easy access to your sightseeing before and after the cruise and use a cab to/from the airport? The last thing I would want to do after a full day of sightseeing (& a dinner?) is to make my way back to my airport hotel.

If you need suggestions on hotels, I'd be happy help you with suggestions.

My thanks to both of you with respect to the information regarding cabs in Copenhagen. However, what I was trying to ask obviously not very well was the following:

1. Have any other Azamara passengers who booked their own air hand difficulties in purchasing round trip airport/cruise terminal transfers in advance through Azamara?

2. Do other cruise lines have similar policies?

2. If they did experience difficulties, did they figure out a way to get the transfers from the cruise line in advance of the sail date?

The reason for asking is that my travel agent:

1. has never heard of such a policy

2. my search of the Azamara web site does not show any mention of it

3. my travel agent has spend the last two days talking to Azamara's booking people without success.

My thanks to both of you with respect to the information regarding cabs in Copenhagen. However, what I was trying to ask obviously not very well was the following:

1. Have any other Azamara passengers who booked their own air hand difficulties in purchasing round trip airport/cruise terminal transfers in advance through Azamara?

2. Do other cruise lines have similar policies?

2. If they did experience difficulties, did they figure out a way to get the transfers from the cruise line in advance of the sail date?

The reason for asking is that my travel agent:

1. has never heard of such a policy

2. my search of the Azamara web site does not show any mention of it

3. my travel agent has spend the last two days talking to Azamara's booking people without success.

JDS3,

I understand what you are asking, but with all due respect, why do you want these transfers so badly?

If you had bought your air tickets with A and the transfers were included, then I can see your point. Otherwise, as transfers are per person (and usually overpriced) and taxis are per car, the taxis are almost always a better deal (assuming there are at least 2 of you) and much more flexible.

I am trying to understand why these transfers are better for you than taxis. It doesn't seem worth your time and effort since it does not appear to be straightforward.

Just IMO

Paulchili:

Thanks for your reply.

The transfers themselves are not the majo important issue. As you said, my wife and I can take a taxi.

What is important is the ability of Azamara to live up to want it publishes in its brochures. On page 122 of the 2009 Azamara Cruise Brochure, the following is stated regarding transfers:

"If you wish to make your own air travel arrangements, you may wish to purchase the Azamara Cruises to the ship (I do). If you buy an Azamara Curises transfer, we'll meet you outside the customs after you have collected your baggage and show you to our transfer bus (I have agreed to walk from my airport hotel to the meeting area). When reserving this service, we need your flight arrival information to meet you (My travel agent told them our flight information which includes the fact that we are arriving two days before the cruise and are staying at a hotel on the airport property)."

Azamara refuses to sell us transfers to or from the ship.

So why is this such a big deal, if Azamara will not honor what it says about this in its brochure, what other brochure items will it not honor.

JDS3,

Thank you for the explanation - it gives me more insight.

I hope it will be resolved to your satisfaction and that this is the only "snag" you will encounter with A.

Happy sailing!

(My travel agent told them our flight information which includes the fact that we are arriving two days before the cruise and are staying at a hotel on the airport property)."

That is probably where the problem lies they see you arriving 2 days prior

Just tell them you are arriving the morning of the cruise ;)

LYN

JDS3,

Are you aware that the transfer bus may sit at the airport (with you on it) for an hour or more waiting for additional passengers to arrive so that they fill up the bus before heading to the ship?

A cab will:

be much less expensive

leave when YOU are ready

be more comfortable

I don't know why Azamara won't sell you transfers. I'm guessing that they're highly profitable. I know that people with their own air arrangements have bought transfers on the ship at the end of a cruise.

Azamara has a wonderful product. Try to enjoy the anticipation of the great time you'll have.

Paulchili:

Thanks for your reply.

The transfers themselves are not the majo important issue. As you said, my wife and I can take a taxi.

What is important is the ability of Azamara to live up to want it publishes in its brochures. On page 122 of the 2009 Azamara Cruise Brochure, the following is stated regarding transfers:

"If you wish to make your own air travel arrangements, you may wish to purchase the Azamara Cruises to the ship (I do). If you buy an Azamara Curises transfer, we'll meet you outside the customs after you have collected your baggage and show you to our transfer bus (I have agreed to walk from my airport hotel to the meeting area). When reserving this service, we need your flight arrival information to meet you (My travel agent told them our flight information which includes the fact that we are arriving two days before the cruise and are staying at a hotel on the airport property)."

Azamara refuses to sell us transfers to or from the ship.

So why is this such a big deal, if Azamara will not honor what it says about this in its brochure, what other brochure items will it not honor.

I also didnt understand this..so I am working on finding out the answer..I will have a response for you from Azamara shortly..

Jancruz1

Jancruz

Thank you. Since my cruise is departs from Copenhagen a taxi is a viable alternative. But what about people on a Med Cruise who fly on their own and arrive two days early. Ship transfers here make a lot of sense. But Azamara's policy will not permit them to buy transfers. I have cruised on Azamara before and really like the product. My comments were to try to get what appears to be a unique policy which other cruise lines do not have to change and in the process make a very good product great. I am fully willing to take the responsibility to get to the appointed meeting place at the appointed time or risk losing the transfer. Azamara's policy does not permit me this responsibility.

I've also had this same problem with Azamara. I had to call customer service several times until I reached someone that was willing to help.

I find this puzzling as well. I know for a fact that on certain itineraries they offer transfers from both the airport and a city center hotel for those who arrive early - they are listed and priced separately from the day-of-arrival transfers. Same price, but they're a different product in their system.

I am more familiar with Princess. Their policy clearly states that they will provide transfers (for a price) only on the day of the cruise. If you want earlier transfers, you will also have to buy one of their pricey hotel packages. Then you will get transfers from the airport, to the hotel, and to the ship. I would stay in the city, not at the airport, for the 2 days and get a taxi for transfers. As someone said, taxis take credit cards, but be sure to ask first.

JDS3,

I keep asking myself why do you want to shoot yourself in the foot?

Why insist that they fulfill something written in the brochure, if it will cost you more money and be less convenient in the end? Also, apparently it requires a lot of effort to accomplish this.

Just to prove a point (and get all work up about it)?

Take a taxi and enjoy the cruise.

Just IMO.

I am more familiar with Princess. Their policy clearly states that they will provide transfers (for a price) only on the day of the cruise. If you want earlier transfers, you will also have to buy one of their pricey hotel packages. Then you will get transfers from the airport, to the hotel, and to the ship. I would stay in the city, not at the airport, for the 2 days and get a taxi for transfers. As someone said, taxis take credit cards, but be sure to ask first.

This is definitely the problem..the op does not arrive on the day of departure or it would be easy..

Jancruz1

Jancruz,

So what would I have to do, lie about the arrival date of my flight so that it fits into Azamara's plan? And why will Azamara not sell me a transfer to return to the airport when we arrive back in Copenhagen in advance? I am on the same ship as the other passengers who will be using the transfers. In the case of a passenger doing a cruise departing/arriving in Copenhagen, a taxi is an option. But what about people booking flights into Rome several days in advance for a cruise? Here a taxi to the cruise terminal is not very attractive. So why can't Azamara do what it seems all other cruise lines allow which is to allow people who book their own air to buy transfers for the days that other passengers who booked cruise air are arriving/departing. This policy just does not seem to make sense.

JDS3,

I can definitely relate. We also booked our flights using frequent flyer miles. To make matters even more frustrating, we are flying into Athens 2 days before our cruise and leaving Rome 2 days after and staying at the same hotels that Azamara uses for their 2 day pre- and post-cruise packages. They would not sell us transfers, even though they provide them ON THE SAME DAYS AND TO THE SAME HOTELS! We have ended up arranging our own transportation in Athens from the airport and to the port at a very reasonable rate. We are still looking at transportation from Civitiveccia to Rome that will be reasonable (not interested at all in taking the train). Unnecessary aggravation!:mad:

JDS3,

We are still looking at transportation from Civitiveccia to Rome that will be reasonable (not interested at all in taking the train). Unnecessary aggravation!:mad:

Perhaps you can find someone on the roll call to share a van (even if the others are going to a different hotel, it still may be cheaper)

Joelmama,

I fully understand your frustration. My problem is easily taken care of with an inexpensive cab ride. Yours is much more difficult and frustrating. My primary purpose for the post was to try to help all Azamara passengers who will face this problem and extra frustration, especially ones going into or out of Rome. I wish you luck since I will probably cave in and take the taxi. Azamara seems to have two faces:

1. A totally non-responsive and irrational customer service department which seems not to have improved much since I booked my crusie last year.

2. A great responsive staff on board the ships.

I guess putting up with the frustrations of the customer service staff is the price one must pay for a great cruise with Azamara. It shouldn't have to be, but it sadly appears that this is the way it is.

JDS3,

I can definitely relate. We also booked our flights using frequent flyer miles. To make matters even more frustrating, we are flying into Athens 2 days before our cruise and leaving Rome 2 days after and staying at the same hotels that Azamara uses for their 2 day pre- and post-cruise packages. They would not sell us transfers, even though they provide them ON THE SAME DAYS AND TO THE SAME HOTELS! We have ended up arranging our own transportation in Athens from the airport and to the port at a very reasonable rate. We are still looking at transportation from Civitiveccia to Rome that will be reasonable (not interested at all in taking the train). Unnecessary aggravation!:mad:

We used Angel Tours Rome to take us from the Quest at Civitiveccia to the Rome Airport Hilton. They arrived at the port one half hour earlier than our scheduled appointment time which was appreciated because we were off the ship earlier than expected. The cost was less than most other quotes-can't remember exactly how much. You can find them online.

Hi Jds3 !

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I understand your frustration. However, that I am aware of, most Cruise lines do not offer Airport transfers unless you arrive on the day of your sailing. I'm fairly certain, this is the reason why you are having problems getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

With that said, I do not wish to see you frustrated. If you would please email me (click on the link below), I may be able to assist. I hope to hear from you soon !

Have a wonderful time on Azamara !

Hi Joelmamma !

I know what it's like to be frustrated. I truly feel there are many wonderful folks at Azamara, that try very hard to make things work. If you would like to click on the link below and email me, perhaps I can try to assist. I hope to hear from you soon !

Archived