Late Booking - When do you pounce?

figs

My parents are interested in the Pride in July. It's past final payment now, there are a ton of available cabins (including at least 5-6 7As, no less). Their goal is to pay around $900-1000, all told.

They've never sailed Carnival, I'm trying to give them the best possible experience (a "good" 7A or above, they want a balcony), so we can all go together someday. They have heard the "party ship" rumors. :rolleyes:

My question is this: It's after final payment, and "everyone" says prices drop after final payment. They haven't. And there seem to be LOTS of spaces still available. My parents are schoolteachers, so there isn't a lot of extra money floating around, so I'd really like to get them a great deal.

What say the wise ones of CC? Go for it now, which is a bit more money than they budgeted for? Or would you wait, seeing all the cabins sitting open, and hope for a price reduction? Or is that too much of a risk that all the prices will increase?

(Please, no debates on whether you should take "the room you'd find acceptable, at a price you can afford". Obviously. I just want to know WHEN you guys would book.)

Thanks!! :D

My parents are interested in the Pride in July. It's past final payment now, there are a ton of available cabins (including at least 5-6 7As, no less). Their goal is to pay around $900-1000, all told.

They've never sailed Carnival, I'm trying to give them the best possible experience (a "good" 7A or above, they want a balcony), so we can all go together someday. They have heard the "party ship" rumors. :rolleyes:

My question is this: It's after final payment, and "everyone" says prices drop after final payment. They haven't. And there seem to be LOTS of spaces still available. My parents are schoolteachers, so there isn't a lot of extra money floating around, so I'd really like to get them a great deal.

What say the wise ones of CC? Go for it now, which is a bit more money than they budgeted for? Or would you wait, seeing all the cabins sitting open, and hope for a price reduction? Or is that too much of a risk that all the prices will increase?

(Please, no debates on whether you should take "the room you'd find acceptable, at a price you can afford". Obviously. I just want to know WHEN you guys would book.)

Thanks!! :D

I usually don't book my cruises until about 2-3 months out... I'll keep track of the prices and availability for a while and when I find a price that is within my budget, I book it. Plain and simple.

Instead of playing the cabin-lottery, waiting for better prices, just book it. If you wait too long, you may not get the cabin you want.

As for lower prices, they won't usually lower the price if the ship is selling well. Just keep an eye on it...but don't wait so long you're disappointed.

July's a tough call. Considering you're sailing a new itinerary from a new port in the middle of the summer, it's hard to say they'll go down in price much, regardless of current inventory!

That was my original thought - the minute they said they wanted to go, I hopped right onto the website to check pricing, thinking I'd book right then. We're booked on the Pride for September, and our sailing is nearly booked up - but not their July offerings.

The two sailings they're looking at - none of the cabins are moving. I mean, the same cabin numbers have been available for three weeks now. Pull up almost any cabin category, you'll get the maxed-out full list of 10 cabins available. I'm surprised by it, too - that's the only reason I've been waiting.

Or should I not trust Carnival to tell me the truth on their actual available inventory? :D

Remember the economy is still hurting vacations and summer is more expensive months. I have noticed though that the cruises are a bit cheaper on some ships this summer than in the past. People are afraid to spend money.

With the time frame being so close I would book ASAP if the price is within budget.

Prices at last minute either go up up up or down. lol We were looking at a cruise a couple of years ago at 2 weeks before sail and it was super cheap then 5 days before the cruise started selling like hotcakes and the price soared.

I booked our June cruise in January at $801 pp 2 cabins, on ES with a free four cabin upgrade. This is still high compared to some cruises out there. There were many cabins available for a long time, so I was hoping they would come down in price after final payment. Then the Swine flu happened and almost overnight, the cabins were being booked out, with all prices going higher.

If you can afford the cost now, just book. Even with the recession on, it seems that people are still willing to pay whatever they have to.

Our June cruise just started really dropping in price this month. It was like the one you mentioned, tons of rooms left. Then it took a pretty big drop around $130pp and the rooms are filling fast now. I would hold out until it gets closer as long as there are lots of open rooms. I wouldn't have them spend more then their budget.

Our June cruise just started really dropping in price this month. It was like the one you mentioned, tons of rooms left. Then it took a pretty big drop around $130pp and the rooms are filling fast now. I would hold out until it gets closer as long as there are lots of open rooms. I wouldn't have them spend more then their budget.

I just checked, and there are over 80 unfilled cabins that will pull up on the date they'd prefer, 7A and above. There are even 9As and 8G&Hs left, in large numbers.

All the insides have disappeared with their rates, but there are sooo many balconies going begging. And that's just with the maxed-out 10 cabin drop down list. God knows how many more are actually available. My biggest worry now is that I can't trust the website. :)

I really hope I don't screw this up - but they said that if I can't get it down to around $900, they'll just save up and go next year. They need the break, I'd love to be able to get them a steal so they can cruise THIS summer. :)

Are you saying $900 total for both people or pp? I don't think I have ever seen a balcony on a 7 night that low on any line. I don't think you will see fares less than $450pp on the Pride in July even in an inside.

w/out a crystal ball......no one can say when to book the cruise. You have the budget they are willing to pay, so the time to "pounce" will be when that magic total costs surfaces (if it even will, which could be an impossible feat in July, being peak season and expecting to get a balcony for a total of $900 - $1000 including port charges/taxes?) that they are willing to pay. Just keep monitoring..... looking fo promotions, etc.....maybe their "dream cruise" will become a reality ! Personallly I think they are "dreaming" in hopes of capturing those type of accommodations at that low a price, but you never know !

Are you saying $900 total for both people or pp? I don't think I have ever seen a balcony on a 7 night that low on any line. I don't think you will see fares less than $450pp on the Pride in July even in an inside.

Oh, no - that's per person. Right now it's hovering about $1000 -$1100. Since there seem to be so many unsold cabins, and I've been watching for the last three weeks, and it's always the same cabins available, I'm hoping the price will go down a bit. There are ~9 weeks left.

It's like a game. If the price drops enough, I'll definitely book - my only question left is if the regulars around here knew whether I should trust the website. :)

With this flu scare, I think there were fewer last minute bookings lately and prices for July have fallen a ton already, usually they are sky high.

that being said, I think expecting to pay $900 - $1000 for 2 people in a balcony is unrealistic. You can wait if they are real flexible. I booked last minute 4 days before the Conquest sailed a couple weeks ago.

Are your parents seniors?? I pulled up July 3rd just to see, and there is a senior rate $100 pp less on balconies. .... plus up to $240 cash back on the rate, so their tips and onboard spending would be paid for. $829 is the rate Im seeing for that date for seniors...but still way more a person than what you are looking for.

Which dates are you looking at?? It does look like there are senior rates for several dates, but not always on balconys.

Oh, no - that's per person. Right now it's hovering about $1000 -$1100. :)

Oh pp, How about July 3rd then???? $829 rate, are they 55 years old?

July 24th, $909 rate for seniors (almost $150 off balconys on that date for seniors).

my only question left is if the regulars around here knew whether I should trust the website. :)

Yes, I do similar games in last minute bookings. I create a spreadsheet of the available cabins (as best I can see from a fake booking), and watch to see as cabins fall off the list. Sometimes a cruise gets better pricing, and sometimes it does not. If you play the "last minute" game, you have to be willing to be disappointed if the price does not fit your budget in the window you are watching... and you may not go at all after the price goes up closer to sailing instead of down.

I have booked at 5 months with a great price, 5 weeks with a great price, and the closest I have booked to sailing is 19 days... $1,150 all-in for a balcony GTY for 2 on a 7-day (total not per-person). That fare was avaialble as a pack and go for about 2 days, and they sold most of the rest of the ship out during that sale (went from 60+ cabins available to ~4 cabins available very quickly).

If it's showing that many open you can rest assured there are lots of empty cabins. They may make it look like there are less available to get people to hurry and book, but there would be no benefit to them making it appear 1/2 full when it's almost full.

Since your parents are fine with missing, there's no reason to book now. Wait and see, prices will drop if it stays low on booking.

Pack & Go is listed on the CCL website if applicable to the sailing date you are looking at. Not available on all sailings.

Each Wednesday carnival.com home page has that weeks Pack-and-Go specials listed (code PUB). ken

Firefly333 -

They're looking at the 24th and 31st - I'd probably bite at ~eight-hundred-something pp. My Dad's a senior rater, and they MIGHT be able to swing $909, but that comes out to well over $1000pp, when you add taxes and tips and such. There are just SO many cabins left, I think I may end up just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

They're more laid back than I am - they'll take it at a price they can "afford", or they'll just find something else to do for the summer and save up for next year. I'm the one that wants them to be able to go - they've never been to the Caribbean yet! Out of several international trips, one cruise, a few cross-country drives, etc, they've never been past Key West??! :eek:

Firefly333 -

They're looking at the 24th and 31st - I'd probably bite at ~eight-hundred-something pp. My Dad's a senior rater, and they MIGHT be able to swing $909, but that comes out to well over $1000pp, when you add taxes and tips and such. There are just SO many cabins left, I think I may end up just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!:eek:

I guess they cant go the date that has the balconies for $829 earlier in July?? Im pretty flexible usually for dates, so I just pick the cheapest when Im booking.

Remember that the $829 and $909 price includes $240 cash back offer, so tips are paid for. Unless they spend a lot onboaard, even with taxes, they are still under $1000.

both dates have the:

$$$ Book now and receive a FREE $240 per cabin onboard credit on select categories!

I guess they cant go the date that has the balconies for $829 earlier in July?? Im pretty flexible usually for dates, so I just pick the cheapest when Im booking.

Remember that the $829 and $909 price includes $240 cash back offer, so tips are paid for. Unless they spend a lot onboaard, even with taxes, they are still under $1000.

both dates have the:

$$$ Book now and receive a FREE $240 per cabin onboard credit on select categories!

Really? I haven't been able to get that to pull up, except as part of the "Cash Back" pricing - which is $170 more pp. I think it's an actual code discount, and is exclusive of anything else.

Naw, they can't snag the dates earlier in the month, my stepmom's sis is coming in to visit.

I was looking at a TA site, the rate doesnt correspond to the cash back rate on carnival you are right :) Well, I thought I had a answer. The way the TA site shows it is deceptive.

Well, maybe the rate will drop some more tonight. You got time to wait it out.

Well depends how bad your parents want to go? If they REALLY want to go and they afford to pay a little over what they budgeted for, then I would say book it now. That way you still have some kind of stateroom selection. If you wait later, who knows what staterooms will be available?

But if price is the ultimate issue, then I would say wait till the magic number shows up...maybe up until the PACK & GO offers. It sounds like to me that they would be willing to let this one pass so my opinion would be to wait until the last minute to see how low you could get.

Have you looked at the senior rates for the July 3rd sailing? I believe they have a senior rate for a balcony guarantee for $829. I wouldn't wait to book out of Baltimore. It's a popular port for the convenience of not needing to fly and from what I've been looking at myself over the last couple of months, this is a pretty good deal, especially over a holiday weekend. Good luck!

Archived