Late Booking - When do you pounce?

figs

Have you looked at the senior rates for the July 3rd sailing? I believe they have a senior rate for a balcony guarantee for $829. I wouldn't wait to book out of Baltimore. It's a popular port for the convenience of not needing to fly and from what I've been looking at myself over the last couple of months, this is a pretty good deal, especially over a holiday weekend. Good luck!

Yes, OP said her parents couldnt go that date. Thats the $829 I referred to above. Too bad huh, much better price. We will just have to cross our fingers the price for late July comes down too.

Did you try Expedia or Orbitz? When we book our cruise...it was weird. The week of the lowest price and the week of the highest price. We pick the week of the lowest price, but when we priced it out...it was more than the week of the highest price. Same cat. 8C.

Sometime they have a sale of 2 cat upgrade and $ 240 OBC. The website won't price it out correctly...I have to call the 800 numbers at Orbitz to get someone live to book it for me. So I end up getting 2cat upgrade and $ 240 OBC.

Be careful naming TA sites. ... but yes, sometimes you can get a free upgrade on those other sites by calling or a extra perk. I know one who gives 10% off the cruise portion of the fare, others get free gratuities. Even a free upgrade works for me. If the perks for booking with a TA are attractive enough, I would go for it. ... just be careful of the TA fees

I'm on the July 31st Pride and kept waiting for a price break. None came before final payment, so I was sure it would drop after. I agree there are alot of empty cabins so there should be a sail soon. I would book before the end of the month though to get the $240 back. That will pay your $140 autotips plus give them $100 towards drinks, bingo, etc. they have continued the offer of OBC through the end of the month but there is no quarantee they will extend it again. So if you wait until June the price might go down $100pp but you may not get the $240 OBC, so really you will be paying more. I would watch it everyday, look at the senior discount, residency rates, etc but I would book at the end of this month to get the OBC. Unfortutionately Carnival doesn't honor price drops after final payment like RCCL unless you book supersaver.

I agree there are alot of empty cabins so there should be a sail soon. I would book before the end of the month though to get the $240 back.

I sure hope so! :D

My only problem with the "cash back" option is this, for example:

The July 24th sailing has a $909 senior rate, right?

Cash back rate is $1079.

Difference of $170pp.

They would lose $100 by booking the Cash Back offer, if I'm reading it right.

For the July 31st sailing, it's a difference of 120pp, a wash.

I'll have to keep an eye on it, and see if the balance changes!

Is pricing better in August or July & what are the reasons?

I would think July is the last absolute month before back to school planning starts & families would rather stay home & plan for school than take it out on he high seas.

ie shouldn't prices go down in August (throw in Hurricanes too in the Carib).

The better prices begin in Mid August and continue through September. Kids are returning to school which is why they decrease and not as much demand from families. We are doing the Pride in September got a 8I balcony for $719 for a past guest rate. I didn't think that was too bad of a price, previous price showed $869.

figs is he a veteran, a florida resident, over 55, teacher? there are lots of discounts, call carnival and ask!!!

good luck!

smiles, bee

He's over 55, and his state's residency discount is the same as the senior discount. I didn't realize there were discounts for teachers! I wonder if they are any good? That would be awesome.

Oh, no - that's per person. Right now it's hovering about $1000 -$1100. Since there seem to be so many unsold cabins, and I've been watching for the last three weeks, and it's always the same cabins available, I'm hoping the price will go down a bit. There are ~9 weeks left.

It's like a game. If the price drops enough, I'll definitely book - my only question left is if the regulars around here knew whether I should trust the website. :)

Isn't there a teacher discount available on Carnival?

OK, kiddies - thinking of pouncing, because the new sale is pretty nice, upgrade-wise.

The old best rate was $909 for a 7A, which was "do-able", but not the best deal for an obstructed view, since they wanted "around $900 before taxes/fees". The total for this option was 1941+140 tips = $1040.50pp.

With the new sale, the price is $1069 for an 8H extended balcony, plus $120pp back in OBC. The total for this option is 2261 + 140 tips = 2401. Subtract the $240 in OBC (since they'll use it all for tips/excursions/etc), the price is 1080.50pp.

So a $40 increase gives you an 8H instead of a 7A. It's more than they wanted to spend, but not THAT much more, and that's a HUGE difference in balcony!

How's this sound? Am I messing up my math anywhere you guys can see?:D

I see the June 6 sailing has 4 balcony cabins still available for $879...if they aren't trying very hard to get rid of these, those for July might not go down much more. July 24 has a senior rate guarantee room for $949, with a total after tax of $2021.02. I've always found the Carnival site difficult to figure out what rooms are available and where they are. Try Expedia - I think they show everything including flashing open rooms, furnishings, etc. and confirm with the PVP when you book. Also, consider trying the cruise compete site for a better deal.

Thanks to everyone for their help!!

I ended up booking them during the sale this past weekend into an 8H for $1080pp after all was said and done. Considering the senior rate of $909 for a 7A ended up being $1040pp, I'm pretty happy with the 8H for $40pp more!

Also, they just had some great success with a yard sale, and decided they could swing it. :D Very exciting!

You guys were awesome - thanks again for all the help. This whole thread is EXACTLY why CC is so great.

My parents are interested in the Pride in July. It's past final payment now, there are a ton of available cabins (including at least 5-6 7As, no less). Their goal is to pay around $900-1000, all told.

They've never sailed Carnival, I'm trying to give them the best possible experience (a "good" 7A or above, they want a balcony), so we can all go together someday. They have heard the "party ship" rumors. :rolleyes:

My question is this: It's after final payment, and "everyone" says prices drop after final payment. They haven't. And there seem to be LOTS of spaces still available. My parents are schoolteachers, so there isn't a lot of extra money floating around, so I'd really like to get them a great deal.

What say the wise ones of CC? Go for it now, which is a bit more money than they budgeted for? Or would you wait, seeing all the cabins sitting open, and hope for a price reduction? Or is that too much of a risk that all the prices will increase?

(Please, no debates on whether you should take "the room you'd find acceptable, at a price you can afford". Obviously. I just want to know WHEN you guys would book.)

Thanks!! :D

I'm not sure that I agree that prices drop after final payment. My experience at least during the summer is just the opposite. Prices tend to go up after final payment. Now that the economy is recovering IMO Carnival is going to wait until the last two or three weeks before sailing to reduce prices.

I'm not sure that I agree that prices drop after final payment. My experience at least during the summer is just the opposite. Prices tend to go up after final payment. Now that the economy is recovering IMO Carnival is going to wait until the last two or three weeks before sailing to reduce prices.

Yeah, they'll probably go down again closer in, but I'm happy with a sale that brought an 8H down to the price of a 7A. :)

I dunno...the email that came out today with the CC.com deals had some amazing Caribbean deals WITH AIRFARE that I would not have gotten by myself for travel the rest of summer.

Archived