Asking for an upgrade?

Caramel1398

Hello again,

We're planning on cruising with friends (this will be their first) and they're planning on booking an oceanview room. We're just curious... if we called Princess and gave them the name and cabin # of our friends and told them it was their first cruise and would it possible to request an upgrade for them (of course if any were available), do you think they'd consider it?

We just want this to be the best experience possible for them- of course! :D

Caramel1398

Anything is possible but is it probable? If they were to pass over their Elite members for a newbie they would negate their loyalty program. Of course if there are enough empty cabins to upgrade everyone that would be great.

Hello again,

We're planning on cruising with friends (this will be their first) and they're planning on booking an oceanview room. We're just curious... if we called Princess and gave them the name and cabin # of our friends and told them it was their first cruise and would it possible to request an upgrade for them (of course if any were available), do you think they'd consider it?

Caramel1398

It will help if you also give them your creit card number.

Hello again,

Caramel1398

No, calling and requesting your friends receive an upgrade will do nothing more than give the one answering the phone a good laugh and something to talk about with the others at break time. If it were that easy, everyone would be doing the same thing. Good luck though! ;)

Hello again,

Caramel1398

Could you also give them my cabin number? It's my first cruise, too, and I'd love an upgrade. :D HA! I can pretty much assure you that regardless of the cabin, your friends are going to have a great time!

Here is a trick to get an upgrade at a resort/hotel. This has worked 100 percent of the time regardless of where I am staying. At check in, ask for a room with a view as beautiful as the person's smile. One where the sound of the ocean reminds you of their sweet voice. Guarantee an upgrade if available or the best room in the category you booked:D

Just pray for the upgrade fairy on a cruise...good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. We don't cruise very often so I'm not really up to speed on what they do for the elite members and so on. It was worth asking though. :D
It's always worth asking but when you do ask for an upgrade, they'll tell you how much more it'll be than what you're paying now. As long as there are cabins available, anyone can do that. :) You'll pay the difference.

An upgrade from your cabin to a better category without paying extra is either done because rates have gone down and your TA can get you a higher category for the same amount of money (taking credit for an "upgrade" when they could have kept you in your cabin and re-fared your booking down in price) or it's done randomly by computer. If your booking is linked to your friends', the chances of a random upgrade goes down as they are unlikely to upgrade one booking linked to others although it does happen on occasion.

It's always worth asking but when you do ask for an upgrade, they'll tell you how much more it'll be than what you're paying now. As long as there are cabins available, anyone can do that. :) You'll pay the difference.

An upgrade from your cabin to a better category without paying extra is either done because rates have gone down and your TA can get you a higher category for the same amount of money (taking credit for an "upgrade" when they could have kept you in your cabin and re-fared your booking down in price) or it's done randomly by computer. If your booking is linked to your friends', the chances of a random upgrade goes down as they are unlikely to upgrade one booking linked to others although it does happen on occasion.

Just a question on the re-faring. If the price goes down, do you have to call to have it adjusted or is it just supposed to be done? I always thought you had to call. In fact, the Oct 17 CB Canada/New England price went down for my daughter that just booked Mon!! She had to call for the price savings (about 300 on an obstructed cabin, a large amount of money) Thanks.

If you telephone the airline, tell them it's your first flight and suggest that they upgrade you to first class for a better first time experience, you will get the same response the cruise line will give you.

I read on here (so it could be wrong and not worth repeating) that many first and second time cruisers seem to have luck with Princess upgrades. Is this just CC vicious rumor:eek:

Just wondering, as far as upgrades, are they usually for those that pay a higher fare (for the same cabin type) or just anyone? Just wondering. We have never received any upgrade but have always cruised probably at the lowest price posted for a cruise. We just booked a Canada/New England on Oct 17 for 499 pp obstructed ocean view. J can't imagine Princess upgrading us since we are cruising so cheaply. Thanks

Just wondering, as far as upgrades, are they usually for those that pay a higher fare (for the same cabin type) or just anyone? Just wondering. We have never received any upgrade but have always cruised probably at the lowest price posted for a cruise. We just booked a Canada/New England on Oct 17 for 499 pp obstructed ocean view. J can't imagine Princess upgrading us since we are cruising so cheaply. Thanks

I have cruised ONCE with Princess and this could be a matter of beginners luck. We started out with the obstructed view gty, which was the same price of the inside gty ($409 pp) . We were assigned an Ocean View almost immediately. We later switched/changed to an aft balcony (we paid for this) but we did get a real upgrade to start with. This could be beginners luck. I have read (could be wrong) the Princess upgrade fairy likes first and second timers. I don't think price has much to do with it, well not in our case at least. I was told because we booked a quad for this summer, our chance of an upgrade is slim to none:eek:

I think it comes down to mostly luck and possible crusing history. I was offered the 2 for 1 special before even taking my first cruise. Yep Alaska in 78 days!

Several cruise lines share a booking computer system called polar.

This system is quite intuitive.

It tracks demand for each cabin category on each cruise.

If it sees a very high demand for a certain category, it automatically upgrades people from that category to a higher category that does not have a high demand. This frees up high demand cabins to be sold again.

It is nearly impossible to predict which category of cabin will have a higher demand on any given cruise, so it is practically impossible to try to place yourself in a position where you would have a better chance for an upgrade.

The best advice on a ship or airplane is - -if you want an upgrade, buy one.

I've taken quite a few cruises on Princess and been upgraded only once. However, that one time was when I had an AD mini-suite linked to my sister and brother-in-law in the next cabin. They moved me up a deck and at the very front of the ship. Huh?? What were they thinking? It took a couple of phone calls to get my cabin back. And no, Princess never notified my TA because she knows I much prefer the ADs with covered balcony.

No, calling and requesting your friends receive an upgrade will do nothing more than give the one answering the phone a good laugh and something to talk about with the others at break time. If it were that easy, everyone would be doing the same thing. Good luck though! ;)

It couldn't hurt, no harm no foul, but couldn't have phrased it better myself. Unlesss you get to the gods and goddesses in yield or relations a res agent would simply be flaggergasted and yes worth a laugh as they have no control over yield and cannot pull strings. All they do it quote computer prices and have no knowledge of upgrade prioritizing (nor should they)......priveledged info as to why, how or who does it. :)

or their TA has checked the box onthe booking engine that says that they woudl accept an upgrade if available.

It is not really a wish list or waitlist....but if the opportunity comes, they know ahead of time that you are nto opposed to it.

You would be surprised at how many times the agent simply lets this field blank in polar.

Princess seems to be very inconsistent on upgrade and such. I have seen first timers get very nice upgrades, and I have seen elite passengers receive nothing. I have seen first timers receive luggage as a thank you for booking, and yes, from Princess, not the TA.

But bottom line is do they have room available, and do they need your room or category for something special. It is never a matter of just being because you would LIKE one.

But good luck to them...they will love their experience..the first cruise is like the first love..it is never forgotten

I think the consensus on these boards is that there is no discernible rhyme or reason to the upgrade process -- it could be anyone, at any time, but it is far from guaranteed. However, it's good advice above to watch the pricing for your cruise--- if the prices go down, you may well be able to call and get a better cabin for the same price, more or less. This is even worth a try after final payment --- Princess is unlikely to refund any difference at that point, but they have been known to upgrade cabins or give on board credit (OBC)...

To the OP -- don't let the teasing here bother you, any question is worth asking. Hopefully you have gotten some info that may help.

I think this is where a good TA can also come in handy. I did the same thing - called and asked about an upgrade on a general basis and he was able to work his magic.

At the end of the day, it never hurts to ask nicely. The worst anyone can say is no, after all.

I think the consensus on these boards is that there is no discernible rhyme or reason to the upgrade process -- it could be anyone, at any time, but it is far from guaranteed. However, it's good advice above to watch the pricing for your cruise--- if the prices go down, you may well be able to call and get a better cabin for the same price, more or less. This is even worth a try after final payment --- Princess is unlikely to refund any difference at that point, but they have been known to upgrade cabins or give on board credit (OBC)...

To the OP -- don't let the teasing here bother you, any question is worth asking. Hopefully you have gotten some info that may help.

Yes, watch the prices. My daughter booked the Canada New England on Mon for an obstructed OV (579 each for first 2 passengers, 625 for the third (odd I thought that 3rd cost more, she was told no discount on the 3rd) Anyway, on Tues, the rate for all became 499 each!! She called and had Princess adjust the price, no problem. Princess used to sometimes give a hard time on this, but I guess with internet and other lines adjusting, they just do it now. You do HAVE to watch, price will not be adjusted otherwise. She might have just changed to a regular OV, but it wasn't that worth it since daylight in the morning was most important. A 5 port cruise so not much use during the day and evenings with the baby and all don't really matter.

On my last cruise, we asked the Future Cruise staff member why it was, that as Elite, we had never received an upgrade but our friends, who had never sailed before on Princess (and who booked at the last minute), received an upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite? She told us that Princess tries to "hook" first timers to keep them coming back for more. So there you have it. I wish your friends good luck and a wonderful trip regardless.

I think this is where a good TA can also come in handy. I did the same thing - called and asked about an upgrade on a general basis and he was able to work his magic.
A TA cannot request, or get, an upgrade; it's done via computer. Most likely, the pricing dropped and instead of giving you the lower price for your cabin, your TA told you he'd upgraded you for no extra money and took the credit by telling you he got you an upgrade. IMHO, that's not a good TA; a good one would have given you the available options. Some people like the cabin they're in and would love to be re-fared down.

Archived