Carnival = Frat Party Boat?

I am a loyal RCCL cruiser and we have never sailed on Carnival, but are planning a cruise for this September and are starting to take another look at Carnival. However, I am having second thoughts about booking a Carnival cruise because I have always had the impression that Carnival was one big frat party, which is NOT what we are looking for in a cruise vacation. We have this impression because we have heard from friends on several different occasions that this was the case; granted they went over spring break, so this may explain the abundance of college students and soon to be high school grads.

Is my impression wrong here? Should I give them a chance; or should I stick with Royal Caribbean? Maybe those of you who have sailed on both could provide some input.

Thanks!

The average age of a Carnival passenger on a 7 day cruise is between 40 and 45 years old......

The "party boat" atmosphere died back in the late 1980's....but the reputation remains.

My first cruise on Carnival was at age 35 or so...back in the dark ages... I just completed my 64th Carnival cruise and am 68 years old...still loving their ships, still loving their cruise experience, still having the time of my life on any of their ships.

The shorter cruisers seem to attract a younger crowd with perhaps more of a party atmosphere...but, my experience on the 4/5 day cruises have been wonderful......

In the '90s wasn't Carnival's ad campaign Kathy Lee Gifford dancing around and singing "ain't we got fun" with the Rockettes (or some theater-style dancers) in the background? I don't think of KLG and frat party together. EWW! I might be thinking of the wrong ads. I didn't really get into cruising until 2000.

What I meant was that they were calling themselves the "fun ships" and they were targeting people in their 20's and 30's as their core customers. I think this is what gave them the reputation that they are now trying to leave behind.

Of course, example after example can be given of non frat-party cruises, but I think one of their roadblocks to kicking the party boat reputation is the fact they are so cheap to book. Certain elements just go hand-in-hand. JMO.

The average age of a Carnival passenger on a 7 day cruise is between 40 and 45 years old......

The "party boat" atmosphere died back in the late 1980's....but the reputation remains.

My first cruise on Carnival was at age 35 or so...back in the dark ages... I just completed my 64th Carnival cruise and am 68 years old...still loving their ships' date=' still loving their cruise experience, still having the time of my life on any of their ships.

The shorter cruisers seem to attract a younger crowd with perhaps more of a party atmosphere...but, my experience on the 4/5 day cruises have been wonderful......[/quote']

HEY, would you make up your mind:confused:, on another post you just said Carnival attracts dumb poor uneducated drunks, geez:mad:

**sigh**

Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Huh? Please explain and don't be so condescending. I love when people do that: "sigh". Nevermind what? That your argument held no water or what? Just curious. SIGH

That comes across as feeling superior.

Do you actually have pictures of wife beaters in the DR? Because once again, that's just one of those slam Carnival statements with no proof. Believe it or not, RCCL, Princess, Carnival all fall into the same category of cruises. None are truly luxury lines. They're all pretty standard cruises. And from two different friends who are travel agents, there's virtually no difference between the them.

My first cruise on Carnival was at age 35 or so...back in the dark ages... I just completed my 64th Carnival cruise and am 68 years old...still loving their ships' date=' still loving their cruise experience, still having the time of my life on any of their ships.

The shorter cruisers seem to attract a younger crowd with perhaps more of a party atmosphere...but, my experience on the 4/5 day cruises have been wonderful......[/quote']

Well according to this post that was posted by you on the Carnival board, they still have issues.

Quote:

Can't make heads or tails out of your post....but,

Carnival seems to attract a lot of boozers who can't or won't control their drinking and who seem to think it's "cool" to be snockered from dawn to midnight. It might be the lower rates that permit some to cruise who might not be able to afford it otherwise, thereby attracting some who've not been taught any manners at all.

They become annoying to themselves and others.....

While stupid drunk, they do stupid things......

End of Quote:

Then you see threads like this over on the Carnival board and it just backs up the fact.

Carnival Cruisers getting a bad reputation in Key West.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=993613

Carnival Conquest, the drunk ship cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=994500

Looks to me like the story continues. Hiccup!!!!!!!!!!;)

Of course, example after example can be given of non frat-party cruises, but I think one of their roadblocks to kicking the party boat reputation is the fact they are so cheap to book. Certain elements just go hand-in-hand. JMO.

Nail on the head with that statement. I have cruised on Carnival twice and no more. Not my type of cruise line. There is Carnival and then everyone else.:rolleyes:

My friends (all in their 20s) did a 7-night cruise on Carnival last year...they said it was definitely NOT a party boat and in fact the Lido deck was dead by 11pm.

Meanwhile my husband and I took a RCCL cruise last January and there were a group of women in their 40s partying like crazy the whole time...never saw them without drinks and they totally made their prescence known. I'm not judging them at all, it looked like they were having a blast, but my point is the "frat-party" vibe can happen on any line, at any time, with any age group although I'm sure that it's most prevelant on Spring Break. Overall though, it just depends on the crowd you get so I wouldn't let concerns about crazy partiers deter you from trying Carnival.

Huh? Please explain and don't be so condescending. I love when people do that: "sigh". Nevermind what? That your argument held no water or what? Just curious. SIGH

Do you actually have pictures of wife beaters in the DR? Because once again, that's just one of those slam Carnival statements with no proof. Believe it or not, RCCL, Princess, Carnival all fall into the same category of cruises. None are truly luxury lines. They're all pretty standard cruises. And from two different friends who are travel agents, there's virtually no difference between the them.

I actually saw wife beaters in the dining room on the Glory. Did I take photos? No, why would I want to look at hairy armpits again? Also something else that I saw on Carnival almost every day in the lido dining room......men with no shirts. Just love the fact that some had more hair than an ape and were leaning over the food stations getting their food. NASTY!!!! Have never witnessed that on any other cruise line.

Don't be condescending? Hello Pot, or is it Kettle? :rolleyes:

*Sigh* Nevermind. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW, I speak from experience, not from third person info...ie T/A friends. :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well according to this post that was posted by you on the Carnival board, they still have issues.

Quote:

Can't make heads or tails out of your post....but,

Carnival seems to attract a lot of boozers who can't or won't control their drinking and who seem to think it's "cool" to be snockered from dawn to midnight. It might be the lower rates that permit some to cruise who might not be able to afford it otherwise, thereby attracting some who've not been taught any manners at all.

They become annoying to themselves and others.....

While stupid drunk, they do stupid things......

End of Quote:

Then you see threads like this over on the Carnival board and it just backs up the fact.

Carnival Cruisers getting a bad reputation in Key West.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=993613

Carnival Conquest, the drunk ship cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=994500

Looks to me like the story continues. Hiccup!!!!!!!!!!

Bingo. Good investigative work!

I am a loyal RCCL cruiser and we have never sailed on Carnival, but are planning a cruise for this September and are starting to take another look at Carnival. However, I am having second thoughts about booking a Carnival cruise because I have always had the impression that Carnival was one big frat party, which is NOT what we are looking for in a cruise vacation. We have this impression because we have heard from friends on several different occasions that this was the case; granted they went over spring break, so this may explain the abundance of college students and soon to be high school grads.

Is my impression wrong here? Should I give them a chance; or should I stick with Royal Caribbean? Maybe those of you who have sailed on both could provide some input.

Thanks!

You know the saying about opinions, u should try it for Your self and judge ive the same thing about most other mass market cruises but wont stop me from tryin them.

If you want to try Carnival, my best advice would be to stay away from a 3-4 nighter. They are the ones to attract the real party crowd. That was my mistake with Carnival and I would really like to try them again on a 7 nighter.

Exactly my recommendation, especially the 3-dayer (leave from work early Friday, 20 minutes to the port, arrive "somewhat" late for work on Monday), the party hardy's delight. The drunks and lounge lizards love it. :D

Incidentally, an RCCL ship, I believe the Enchantment of the Seas (or Monarch, can't remember) used to do this 3 and 4 day itinerary with the SAME RESULTS and complaints.

Much of the "problems" Carnival had in the mid 90s have been cleared up with the no one in the cabin under 21 unless accompanied by a 25 or older passenger rule, IMHO.

I've always cruised 7 dayers or more on Carnival and have NEVER, repeat NEVER had to step over a drunk to get in my cabin (the repeated HAL complaint). :rolleyes:

Granted, I've never cruised RCCL, but have run into many that have onboard Carnival ships, and almost universally they contend there is little if any difference in the two lines. :)

(except food and price) :rolleyes:

I've seen some intoxicated people on Carnival before, but never the puking in the hallway type. I've seen tipsy old ladies on Princess, as well as some drunk older men. I've never seen the rowdy-party-till-you-puke party animals on Carnival before, most all of the people I've seen and met on CCL have been very nice, respectable people.

Meanwhile my husband and I took a RCCL cruise last January and there were a group of women in their 40s partying like crazy the whole time...never saw them without drinks and they totally made their prescence known.

LOL this made me look at your siggy.....was on a RCCL cruise last January w/my sisters and kinda fit your description:o WHEW you were on the wrong ship:D

We just came back from a 5 night Explorer OTS to Bermuda. There was a large group of people who apparently were celebrating a wedding. There were 16 people who were sitting at 2 tables next to us. They were very loud and obnoxious, toasting each other from table to table and yelling out loudly. This went on almost every night (we were happy to go to the specialty restaurant for a couple of nights just for the peace and quiet). These people really spoiled it for the rest of us as we could barely hear the person next to us talking. I've never experienced this on any of my 13 CCL cruises.

We went on a Carnival cruise this past Spring Break. 7 nights on Carnival Glory. I'm 45 and I was one of the YOUNGEST on board. There were only 300 pax under 18 on board. The average age had to be 65. I kept asking myself if I'd wandered onto a HAL cruise by mistake, but nope, it was Carnival. No wild parties or drunkenness seen.

I really missed RCCL's activities and Promenade though.

Archived