UK/Europe New Cancellation,Transfer Policy & Deposit Increase

I love cruising with Royal Caribbean..I just dont like the way they treat us before our cruises sometimes...as in booking conditions etc.:(

Well said Liz, I totally agree and I'm not as seasoned Royal cruiser as some on here, but the number and pace of changes this year is mind blowing!

I spoke with my TA again today, not busy so we had a good chat. Princess Cruises introduced the same rules about 6 months ago and RCL are just catching up:eek:.

They had a an email from RCL late last week which spells out ALL our worst fears:eek:....but when were they implemented????????? and if you booked under the old rules and conditions they should still apply to your resevation you have now.....just like the cut off date for the combination of OBC and perks happened from Jan 1 09.

I will give RCL more grief on my price drop towards end of week,when we all get more "meat on the bones" as to whats going on:confused:

Our cruise is quite a while off and I'm rapidly losing the will to carry on with RCCL. We're so discriminated in the UK. I don't see why anyone would select RCCL as a new cruiser against any other line now. I can see me eventually blowing the deposit I have and looking at other lines for a similar itinerary. I wonder if I can transfer this deposit to something less spectacular for later this year.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I have a booking for Sept 2011, booked it knowing that if there were price changes I could benefit and could change cabin, or date is needed (although unlikely). With the new T&Cs there do not appear to be any real advantages in booking early at all, I'll leave it to the last min of book with RCL, but it opens up all other cruise lines, so may well change.

It is also very difficult to give a company money where they are giving the impression that they are discriminating against all non US cruisers with some significantly different terms.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I have a booking for Sept 2011, booked it knowing that if there were price changes I could benefit and could change cabin, or date is needed (although unlikely). With the new T&Cs there do not appear to be any real advantages in booking early at all, I'll leave it to the last min of book with RCL, but it opens up all other cruise lines, so may well change.

It is also very difficult to give a company money where they are giving the impression that they are discriminating against all non US cruisers with some significantly different terms.

Exactly...We have booked Brilliance for August 2008 but I would never have booked at the high opening prices if we'd been told then that we wouldn't be entitled to price drops. If the price does come down I am going to cancel, forfeit the deposit and look around for something else....no way am I paying £2000pp for something that later bookers will be getting for less.:mad::mad:

Just got off the phone with RCI - getting our diamond discount applied to latest booking - and asked the question about them honouring future price drops. The response was that price drops would still be honoured but there MAY be an admin charge applied for changes (including price drops??) to a booking but this has not yet been approved and the RCI staff there are waiting for a ruling. Apparently the delay on the ruling has something to do with whether changes are being made via an agent or the guest direct ..... but at least the price drop remains - something which must erk RCI considerably (well wouldn't it you if it was your business?)

We own a hotel and sometimes have to drop prices last minute to sell rooms - if we had to give these prices to those already booked then we wouldn't stay in business very long especially in the current climate ..... and don't believe what you read about more Brits staying at home and filling up UK resorts .. NOT true!!)

Ken

Just got off the phone with RCI - getting our diamond discount applied to latest booking - and asked the question about them honouring future price drops. The response was that price drops would still be honoured but there MAY be an admin charge applied for changes (including price drops??) to a booking but this has not yet been approved and the RCI staff there are waiting for a ruling. Apparently the delay on the ruling has something to do with whether changes are being made via an agent or the guest direct ..... but at least the price drop remains - something which must erk RCI considerably (well wouldn't it you if it was your business?)

We own a hotel and sometimes have to drop prices last minute to sell rooms - if we had to give these prices to those already booked then we wouldn't stay in business very long especially in the current climate ..... and don't believe what you read about more Brits staying at home and filling up UK resorts .. NOT true!!)

Ken

Ken, is this for cruises already booked or for future bookings too?

I understand about dropping prices at the last minute for any unsold rooms but the thing that really annoys me is why we should be treated any differently from customers in the US. We always seem to lose out over here.

I would have rung up this morning myself but I know that our RCL agent is on Independance at the moment so I'm hoping someone else will be able to find out.

Julie

Ken

Well done Ken, BUT I think it is a case of who you speak to at RCL, there has always been an admin charge there to appy (£25 I think) for changes, but this has been waived for loyal cruisers, goodwill etc etc.......

My TA has a email from Royal which states all the new rules and like Princess Cruises did 6months ago they are to make them stick.....

Lizanessie knows RCL staff high up so I will see what response she will get. Just hope we are not heading for a combo/ Dia fiasco all over again:eek:..........................

I've been a bit disgruntled for a while now. We had booked a cruise to China and Japan, which they cancelled on us due to the ship being chartered out.We changed that booking to a cruise around the tip of South America for Chrismas and New Year. They cancelled this too, we were given options to rebook on a different cruise with similar itinerary to get some OBC, but at totally different times, so not a reasonable change. When we challenged them about this, we hit a brick wall. They were sorry about cancelling 2 cruises on us, but if we rebooked to a new cruise, they wouldn't give us any OBC for the hassle. Not happy. :(

Then we finally got to Diamond level. Within a week of receiving the letter from C&A, I read about all the changes to the diamond level here on CC. Again not happy. :(

So I'm starting to wonder, why should I stay loyal to royal? Not much incentive these days. But still, last Friday I go ahead and booked a short cruise on Monarch for September.

Now we're also looking into our vacations for next year. And with RCCL leaving us somewhat underwhelmed lately, I had a look Disney cruises. So ok, they are more expensive when compared to a similar cruise on RCCL, but I'm ok with downgrading to an oceanview from balcony to get the Disney Magic. However, DH still wasn't convinced and wasn't quite ready to leave RCCL, even just for once.

Then I come across this thread. I emailed it to DH. His reply is quite telling:

"Bloody idiots! Anyway, way around is to book through American TA? Disney cruises here we come!" He backed this email up by giving me a call a few minutes later, confirming a switch over to Disney Cruises is the way forward now. :)

I'm not saying we'll never cruise with RCCL again, but I will consider all the options more carefully and no longer automatically go to them first or disregard any other lines like we've done before. The price will have to be really good and I don't think we'll be booking 18 months in advance anymore like we used to. :(

Blimey. That's a deal and a half. What dates is that?

That's 18 September this year, 3 night on the Monarch. We do get a discount with our TA.

But you'll find that you can quite often find short cruises for less than £150. Just a few weeks ago there was one for £99, if I remember correctly it was 3 nights on the Vision (Oslo, Hamburg, Oslo), or something along those lines.

I've emailed my own RCCL booking agent with a very general question regarding my own booking to start the ball rolling too.... automated reply.... she's away until the 28th....

Yea she is on annual leave :( She will have a nice full inbox when she gets back ;)

Lizanessie knows RCL staff high up so I will see what response she will get. Just hope we are not heading for a combo/ Dia fiasco all over again:eek:..........................

No reply yet from email sent asking our questions...if no reply in next few hours I will give him a call.

That's 18 September this year, 3 night on the Monarch. We do get a discount with our TA.

But you'll find that you can quite often find short cruises for less than £150. Just a few weeks ago there was one for £99, if I remember correctly it was 3 nights on the Vision (Oslo, Hamburg, Oslo), or something along those lines.

Yes indeed there was.... the one I saw was Harwich - Oslo, though I didn't see it at £99.... and then you had to add in the one way flights!

EDit : The Monarch one looks like fun.... only thing for us Brits is adding in the airfare!

Yes indeed there was.... the one I saw was Harwich - Oslo, though I didn't see it at £99.... and then you had to add in the one way flights!

EDit : The Monarch one looks like fun.... only thing for us Brits is adding in the airfare!

We're there for a Disney fix and a covention anyway, adding on a 3 night cruise was hardly a difficult decission ;)

Plus we got 2for1 on our flights in business class with BA :D. Basically flying business at the price of premium economy (which we usually do)

Updated cancellation, amendment and transfer policy – effective June 1

st

Why are we amending our policy?

We conducted a recent review which demonstrated that our current cancellation and

amendment policy is unclear. This lack of clarity often results in a high number of

queries and for exceptions to be made to the existing policy.

To align ourselves to be more easy to do business with, we have therefore re-viewed

and redefined our policy, to be more consistent and easy to understand for all of our

guests and trade partners.

Effective from June 1

st, please note the key changes that are taking place which are

detailed as follows:

1) Deposits

For bookings created up to and including the 31st May 2009, the deposit payable is

£100 (or 145 Euros per person.) From June 1st 2009 onwards, all bookings

created

will pay a deposit of £150 (or 165 Euros per person.)

2) Cancellation charges

For cancellations received up to and including the 31st May 2009

, the following

cancellation charges will apply:

3 days or less 100%

4 to 28 days 75%

29 to 56 days 45%

57 days or more Deposit only (£100 per person or 145 Euros)

For cancellations received on June 1st 2009 and afterwards

, the following

cancellations charges will apply*:

5 days or less 100%

6 to 14 days 90%

15 - 28 days 75%

29 - 56 days 50%

57 days or more Deposit only (£150 per person or 165 Euros)

Business rules of cancellations

There will be no exceptions to this policy.

Any cancellations received within 56 days prior to departure date are subject

to pay the cancellation charges as set out in the terms and conditions.

Transfer requests for bookings within 56 days of departure will be subject to

paying cancellation charges and rebooking (paying a new deposit.)

*Any bookings created prior to June 1st 2009 that cancel will pay the old

and issue an updated cancellation invoice.

cancellation charges. Our finance team will adjust the cancellation penalties

If a guest is cancelling, the guest does not also pay any air cancellation

charges in addition to our brochure cancellation charges. This is the case

even at loss of deposit stage.

3) ‘Minor’ amendments

A minor amendment can be defined as per some of the following examples:

Spelling of names on bookings

Guests changing staterooms on existing sailing

Changing the Package Code

Changing the Price Code

Changing a gateway (may incur additional airline fees)

Changing a name (see section below)

Business rules of making all minor amendments:

Please note that the first minor change is free for every travel partner/guest.

The administration charge applies per change, not per booking

Any further minor amendments will be charged at a cost of £35 (or 55 Euros)

per person.

The admin fee of £35 (or 55 Euros) will be only charged if the minor change

causes the booking to decrease in value. If the change causes the booking to

increase in value, then we will not charge the admin fee.

All guests need to agree to the charge which should be collected and added

to the booking before the change is made

The admin fee should be shown as part of the booking costs, as this is the

indicator to anyone looking at the booking at a future date that this booking

has already been amended before.

All admin fees are non commissionable

Name Changes process (a minor amendment)

For name changes, guests will need a valid reason for changing the name

over

Guests will also need to produce documentary proof to permit the change

(such as a doctors letter)

Any admin fees/costs associated with the change (airline cancellation

charges) must be quoted and agreed to first before the change is made

Name changes may also involve air amendment fees and these will be in

addition to the £35pp (or 55 Euros) administration fee, these will be quoted at

the time by the air team and added to the booking.

Name changes can be permitted within cancellation period, however as

detailed above, are subject to pay any airline amendment fees and flights are

subject to availability.

Name changes can only be permitted as long as we are given not less than 7

days notice in writing.

Making a major amendment or a booking transfer can be defined as the following:

Changing the Brand/ ship and/or sail date

Business rules of making major amendments:

Major changes can only be made outside of 56 days of travel, otherwise

these bookings are treated as cancellations (see section 1)

Outside of 56 days, a booking can be transferred at a cost of £75pp (or 75

Euros)

There is no limit of the number of transfers that can be made but the £75pp

(or 75 Euros) will be charged for each change

Booking transfers are subject to pay any air amendment fees, the air team will

quote the air fee which will be in addition to the £75pp (or 75 Euros) transfer

fee, the air amendment fees will be added to the new booking

There is no time restriction of the travel dates when the booking can be

transferred to and within what time period

The transfer fee of £75 (or 75 Euros) will be charged irrespective of whether

the booking is increasing or decreasing in value

The deposit in full will be transferred over from the cancelled booking to the

new booking and the LOD penalty removed, the transfer fee is added to the

NEW booking.

The transfer fee should be shown on the NEW booking. This is the indicator

Please note that transfer fee’s are non commissionable

to anyone looking at the booking at a future date that this booking has already

been amended before.

Thanks Liz..

:(Going to have to be very careful with choice of cabin etc from now on. I've been known to change quite a few times in the past but no way am I paying £105 for that piddly little alteration!

At least it looks like we will still get price drops...we'll have to hope they are significant enough to soften the blow of paying the fee.

I still think it's a bloomin' cheek when our friends across the pond can get all these services from RCCL for free and we have to pay for the privelege. Time to branch out and consider other options as well in future I think!

Chris

Admin charge £35 for price drop :eek:

Admin charge £35 to change cabin :eek:

£75 to transfer to another sailing :eek:...they are having a laugh :mad::mad:

are those the fees per booking or per person?

Archived