UK/Europe New Cancellation,Transfer Policy & Deposit Increase

Any UK cruiser got brochure handy by chance?

I went back to read more on website..and not sure about something...going to post this in two posts..so maybe easier to read. Notice difference in days/percentages with higher deposit. Also significant amendment part I have put in bold.

1.10 If I have to cancel my cruise holiday, will I receive a refund?

If you or anybody travelling with you wishes to cancel either your/their holiday, you must contact your travel agent and give notice in

writing using registered mail or e-mail to ensure safe receipt of the cancellation letter. The holiday will only be cancelled on the date

we receive the written notice of cancellation. Generally if you cancel you will have to pay the cancellation charges set out below:

For cancellations received up to and including the 31st May 2009, the following cancellation charges will apply:

3 days or less 100%

4 to 28 days 75%

29 to 56 days 45%

57 days or more Deposit only (£100 per person)

For cancellations received from June 1st 2009 onwards, the following cancellations charges will apply:

5 days or less 100%

6 to 14 days 90%

15 - 28 days 75%

29 - 56 days 50%

57 days or more Deposit only (£150 per person)

Please refer to section 1.11 when making a significant amendment, as your booking will be treated as a cancellation and a new

booking will be created incorporating any new business rules or terms and conditions applicable.

Please note: The date of departure means the date the arrangements you have booked with us commence. Depending on the

reason for cancellation, you may be able to reclaim these cancellation charges (less any applicable excess) under the terms of

your insurance policy. Claims must be made directly to your insurance company.

Where any cancellation reduces the number of full paying party members below the number on which the price, number of free

places and/or any concessions agreed for your booking were based, we will recalculate these items and re-invoice you at the

applicable higher price.

Is this different from before? :confused:

1.11 Can I make changes to my booking after it has been confirmed?

Should you wish to make any changes to your confirmed holiday, you must notify us in writing as soon as possible. Whilst we will

endeavour to assist, we cannot guarantee we will be able to meet any such requests. Please note that for any significant

amendments made such as a change in ship, sail date, or category of stateroom, your booking will be treated as a cancellation

(cancelation penalties will apply – see clause 1.10) and a new booking will be created. Therefore your booking will be re-priced

in-line with the up-to-date business and price rules and a new confirmation invoice will be issued.

If you request a change within 56 days of departure, this will be treated as a cancellation of your original booking and cancellation

charges as set out in these terms and conditions will be payable. The changed arrangements will then be treated as a new booking.

If you or any of the persons travelling with you is prevented from taking the holiday you/they may give your/their place on the

booking to someone else (suggested by you). In this situation, providing we are given not less than 7 days notice in writing of your

wish to make the change, we will permit the name change. The airline and flight routing may differ from the original assignment due

to this name change. You must produce documentary proof of the reason for the transfer of your/their booking with the request

(e.g., a letter from a doctor etc.). Both the person who was originally due to take the holiday and the person who actually does so

must make sure that the administration fee and any charges/costs (see below) as well as any amount which is still due to be paid for

the holiday is paid as required before any change can be made.

For all minor changes an amendment fee of £35 per person per booking will be payable together with any costs incurred by ourselves

and any costs or charges incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers. Passengers should note that airlines may not allow name changes

on scheduled flights and that the flight booking may need to be cancelled and rebooked. The rebooking will always be subject to

flight availability and to payment of any charges imposed by the airline which may, in some cases, be the full cost of the ticket.

I don't understand why you couldn't do this unless the price was for new bookings only. To be fair to RCL we've never had any problem getting price drops or upgrading. Are you sure it was RCL refusing and not your TA?

Julie

I can only speak for myself here but it was RCCL who gave the prices to the TA over the phone.While hes was speaking to them i asked why the high cost to upgrade when balconies are running cheaper at the moment than inside/outside cabins? Answer was.....No discounts available :( Brick wall and hit comes to mind

Same with us a couple of weeks ago. Balconies came on offer at under £1100, tried to upgrade our booking to it and drew a blank unless we wanted to pay over £1200 for the two of us. Sadly we had paid up our final invoice so wasn't worth cancelling. Out TA was a waste of space as well. That is one cold TA we won't be using again. RC just don't help the Brits. I think this may be our last cruise with them

I dont blame you! Its a case of take the money and run.It is wrong though as the price drops should be offered to us even as an upgrade.Were not asking for alot are we?

Sharron

Havn`t had time to copy and paste from the online terms and conditions, but in a nutshell (wether new rules or not) it says RCL will guarantee a price increase to 2%, 2% to 10% will be passed on to PAX, above 10% then PAX has the right to cancel for a full refund.

BUT:eek:, it also says that a decrese in fare will not be honoured due to the above.

I via my TA tried to get a £210pp price drop for my Dubai cruise in Mar, RCL told her that price applies to new bookings only now and price drops are no longer allowed. My TA has before got me drops no probs at all and adjusted her disc to comp for.

Not conntacted RCL yet, as they wont talk to you if booked via TA, but may try to set up a conference call with them and my TA.:mad:

I know with the deposit thing its legal trade rulings in U.K that makes them non refundable, but £150pp that sucks:eek:

Is this different from before? :confused:

1.11 Can I make changes to my booking after it has been confirmed?

Should you wish to make any changes to your confirmed holiday, you must notify us in writing as soon as possible. Whilst we will

endeavour to assist, we cannot guarantee we will be able to meet any such requests. Please note that for any significant

amendments made such as a change in ship, sail date, or category of stateroom, your booking will be treated as a cancellation

(cancelation penalties will apply – see clause 1.10) and a new booking will be created. Therefore your booking will be re-priced

in-line with the up-to-date business and price rules and a new confirmation invoice will be issued.

If you request a change within 56 days of departure, this will be treated as a cancellation of your original booking and cancellation

charges as set out in these terms and conditions will be payable. The changed arrangements will then be treated as a new booking.

If you or any of the persons travelling with you is prevented from taking the holiday you/they may give your/their place on the

booking to someone else (suggested by you). In this situation, providing we are given not less than 7 days notice in writing of your

wish to make the change, we will permit the name change. The airline and flight routing may differ from the original assignment due

to this name change. You must produce documentary proof of the reason for the transfer of your/their booking with the request

(e.g., a letter from a doctor etc.). Both the person who was originally due to take the holiday and the person who actually does so

must make sure that the administration fee and any charges/costs (see below) as well as any amount which is still due to be paid for

the holiday is paid as required before any change can be made.

For all minor changes an amendment fee of £35 per person per booking will be payable together with any costs incurred by ourselves

and any costs or charges incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers. Passengers should note that airlines may not allow name changes

on scheduled flights and that the flight booking may need to be cancelled and rebooked. The rebooking will always be subject to

flight availability and to payment of any charges imposed by the airline which may, in some cases, be the full cost of the ticket.

Liz, this does sound like a change. The old brochure states

1.11 Can I make a change to my booking after it has been confirmed?

Should you wish to make changes to your confirmed holiday, you must notify us in writing as soon as possible.We will endeavour to assist, we cannot guarantee we will be able to meet any such requests.

If you request a change WITHIN 56 days of departure this will be treated as a cancellation of your original booking and cancellation charges as set out in these terms and conditions will be payable. The changed arrangements will then be treated as a new booking.

For all changes an amendment fee of £35 per person per booking will be payable together with any costs incurred by ourselves and any costs or changes incurred or imposed by our suppliers.

This sounds to me like they will now not allow any changes to a booking including price drops, cabin upgrades etc.

Do you know of anyone at RCCL UK who we can contact to clarify this. Maybe if we all e mailed to complain it would make them re-think.

Julie

Should you wish to make changes to your confirmed holiday, you must notify us in writing as soon as possible.We will endeavour to assist, we cannot guarantee we will be able to meet any such requests.

If you request a change WITHIN 56 days of departure this will be treated as a cancellation of your original booking and cancellation charges as set out in these terms and conditions will be payable. The changed arrangements will then be treated as a new booking.

For all changes an amendment fee of £35 per person per booking will be payable together with any costs incurred by ourselves and any costs or changes incurred or imposed by our suppliers.

This sounds to me like they will now not allow any changes to a booking including price drops, cabin upgrades etc.

Do you know of anyone at RCCL UK who we can contact to clarify this. Maybe if we all e mailed to complain it would make them re-think.

Julie

First we had the Wine Package increase fiasco, now this.

There are other cruise lines and the best action is to vote with your cash. I will certainly think twice before I book RCCL again.

Julie

Julie, thanks for posting this..I was rather tired last night and thought I was missing something :o but looks like tired old brain here was awake after all ...oh grrrrrrrrrrrrr RCCL makes me so mad sometimes :mad:

The best folks I know to contact with regard this are out of the office just now, bank holiday weekend:rolleyes: darn it.

Julie

This is how I read this change too :( So for example, if you book an inside cabin a year out, and then six months later wanted to upgrade to a balcony, would they cancel your original booking, lose your deposit and then charge you a new deposit again for the balcony booking?

Price drops are not mentioned, but cabin category changes are, as it says that will be treated as a cancellation.

RCL are sending a very bad message out to UK cruisers, not one that is going to encourage loyalty. I was going to book another cruise later this year, but now find myself considering other cruise lines and any cruises booked will be only within week of cruising. A major advantage of booking with RCL was the ability to make these changes.

As for the legal aspect of keeping the deposit, they can do this legally, but it is not a requirement, especially if moving a booking, it is RCL's choice. Most travel firms in the UK allow date changes etc without treating it as a cancellation.

.7 Will the price change?

We guarantee that we will not increase the price of your confirmed holiday once we have received full payment of the holiday price. However, we may increase or decrease the prices of unsold holidays at any time. The price of your chosen holiday will be confirmed at the time of booking. After your booking is confirmed but before full payment is received, we will only increase the price if there is an increase in the cost of any transport included in the price (for example, the cost of flights) and/or in any dues, taxes or fees payable for any services (for example, airport or port taxes or charges of any sort) or if any currency exchange rate(s) which has been used to calculate the cost of your holiday changes so that any services which make up your holiday become more expensive. In addition, we will pay the first part of any such increase(s) in costs up to a total amount equivalent to 2% of the cost of your confirmed holiday (excluding any insurance premiums and amendment charges). Only if any such increase(s) exceeds this 2% will we ask you to pay more. If any additional amount we ask you to pay is greater than 10% of the cost of your holiday (excluding any insurance premiums or amendment charges), you will be able to cancel your booking. You will then be sent a full refund of all monies you have paid to us for your holiday, except for any insurance premiums and amendment charges.

We will tell you about any increase in the cost of your holiday by sending you, or your travel agent if you have selected one as provided above in Section 1.4, a surcharge invoice. You will have 14 days from the issue date printed on that invoice to tell us in writing that you want to cancel if the additional amount you are being asked to pay is more than 10% as set out above. If you do not tell us in writing that you wish to cancel within 14 days, we are entitled to assume you do not wish to and are prepared to pay the additional amount. Any such additional amount must be paid with the balance of the cost of the holiday or within 14 days of the issue date printed on the surcharge invoice, whichever comes first. We guarantee that these are the only circumstances in which our prices will be increased after confirmation and that in any event we will not ask you to pay more within 30 days of departure.

As we are promising only to ask you to pay more in the above circumstances, we cannot make any refunds or reduce the price of your holiday if our costs decrease for any reason.

U.K prices come under the currency exchange rate changes, price drops fpllow U.S price drops:eek:

Hi Berwyn

I am trying to remember if the bit about "foreign settlement" was there before or not :confused:

Got to say I am not amused they are increasing the deposit amount from £100pp to £150pp :( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

hi liz ty for pointing this out to us.....we cruised on nos dec 2007 from fortlauderdale cost us £250 for 5 nights ...going on nos on 4th nov from malaga 5 night cruise costing us £450 pounds each both balcony cabins ,,we loved our cruises with rci but as other posters have said us brits pay more

These rules do not just affect UK. The rest of Europe is treated the same.

Unfortunately, we have had to cancel 2 cruises in the last 6 months and have lost our deposits on both of them.

On one of them, we also lost our air fare.

We will only be booking last minute cruises from now on.

This is crazy, I know that a lot of differences between the treatment of US and UK (EUR) bookings are the result of different laws etc, but this just seems another way that RCI is trying to grab money and alienate UK (EUR) cruisers.

I guess we may be seeing the Independence homeported in Port Everglades again soon, as there will be no one sailing her out of S'ton

I agree wiith your point UK cruise,

Come over and join me and the family on Thomsons. Included A.I. on beer, wine and spirits rather than the extortionate prices RCI charge for their alcohol.

Berwyn

Have you been on Thomson before?, we went to the Carribean in 2010 with them on all inclusive and I was more than impressed.

They could not do enough for us. It was our first Cruise all inclusive no tips and we were upgraded from an outside to a Suite.

The only reason we are not going with them again is our Daughter needs more activities as she has learning difficulties and her attention span is low

Having just come across this, I am no longer involved in any cruising boards full time like I had been, I am quite shocked that RCI feel so little towards the European market as a whole that they are willing to shift the goalposts in such a severe fashion.

The European cruise market, especially that of the UK, has grown immensely in recent years and surely the cruise lines should be actively encouraging people to book on their ships and not pushing them over to the competition...which is considerable and very healthy.

RCI have made several serious misjudgements in the last year, this one is just another example of a large multinational company that is out of touch with it's grass roots core marketplaces.

Only last week I was looking at the Brilliance 12 night ex Dubai to India with flights included, pure extortion for a solo cruiser against a 17 night with flights on a brand new ship from Costa (the Deliziosa), almost two grand in difference.

RCI are pricing themselves into the luxury branding when they do not measure up to that level, least not with the continued slashing of perks etc (which, incidently I do not base my cruise choice on but many do and fair enough, thats everyone's perogative).

Considering RCI are up to their neck in loans to pay for the Oasis and Allure, they should be actively encouraging bookings, not pushing people away in their droves cos there is no point having the biggest or the best ships if there are no passengers on them, is there?

We guarantee that we will not increase the price of your confirmed holiday once we have received full payment of the holiday price. However, we may increase or decrease the prices of unsold holidays at any time. The price of your chosen holiday will be confirmed at the time of booking. After your booking is confirmed but before full payment is received, we will only increase the price if there is an increase in the cost of any transport included in the price (for example, the cost of flights) and/or in any dues, taxes or fees payable for any services (for example, airport or port taxes or charges of any sort) or if any currency exchange rate(s) which has been used to calculate the cost of your holiday changes so that any services which make up your holiday become more expensive. In addition, we will pay the first part of any such increase(s) in costs up to a total amount equivalent to 2% of the cost of your confirmed holiday (excluding any insurance premiums and amendment charges). Only if any such increase(s) exceeds this 2% will we ask you to pay more. If any additional amount we ask you to pay is greater than 10% of the cost of your holiday (excluding any insurance premiums or amendment charges), you will be able to cancel your booking. You will then be sent a full refund of all monies you have paid to us for your holiday, except for any insurance premiums and amendment charges.

We will tell you about any increase in the cost of your holiday by sending you, or your travel agent if you have selected one as provided above in Section 1.4, a surcharge invoice. You will have 14 days from the issue date printed on that invoice to tell us in writing that you want to cancel if the additional amount you are being asked to pay is more than 10% as set out above. If you do not tell us in writing that you wish to cancel within 14 days, we are entitled to assume you do not wish to and are prepared to pay the additional amount. Any such additional amount must be paid with the balance of the cost of the holiday or within 14 days of the issue date printed on the surcharge invoice, whichever comes first. We guarantee that these are the only circumstances in which our prices will be increased after confirmation and that in any event we will not ask you to pay more within 30 days of departure.

As we are promising only to ask you to pay more in the above circumstances, we cannot make any refunds or reduce the price of your holiday if our costs decrease for any reason.

U.K prices come under the currency exchange rate changes, price drops fpllow U.S price drops:eek:

Looks like no more price reductions for new bookings in the UK then

I agree, I think this is the bit that means we won't be getting price drops anymore. In the old terms this is where it says they will pass on decreases, now it clearly states that they won't.

We normally book at least a year in advance, I don't think that will be happening anymore as it seems we could lose out massively if we do.

Goldryder, the cruise I was looking at for 2011 was Brilliance Dubai to India. I didn't realise Costa did this too, that may be another option. We have already booked Costa out of Dubai for New Year as they were the only choice for a 7 night outside of the Caribbean.

Julie

I agree, I think this is the bit that means we won't be getting price drops anymore. In the old terms this is where it says they will pass on decreases, now it clearly states that they won't.

We normally book at least a year in advance, I don't think that will be happening anymore as it seems we could lose out massively if we do.

Goldryder, the cruise I was looking at for 2011 was Brilliance Dubai to India. I didn't realise Costa did this too, that may be another option. We have already booked Costa out of Dubai for New Year as they were the only choice for a 7 night outside of the Caribbean.

Julie

Costa Deliziosa is doing the Dubai India in February 2010 as a one-off trial itinerary, but if it does well, there is no reason why they wouldn't do it again in 2011...

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/ShoppingV2/CruiseDetail.htm?&Period=201002&Iti=DXB07000&VIti=DE_17_DXB_S_F0B0H0_DXB_FUJ_GOI_COK_MLE_BOM_MCT_DXB&Cru=DE17100225

It is pretty good value for money. But then my cruise next year is a steal, 40 days away on Costa Allegra with flights is under 3 grand, and as a solo cruiser too :)

We normally book at least a year in advance, I don't think that will be happening anymore as it seems we could lose out massively if we do.Julie

Well if we aint getting price drops anymore..I will be doing my next booking with my US TA...to heck with this malarkey :mad:

I have fired off email to RCCL UK boss for clarification on the changes to the UK Booking Conditions.

I agree, I think this is the bit that means we won't be getting price drops anymore. In the old terms this is where it says they will pass on decreases, now it clearly states that they won't......

Julie

Don't remember the old terms ever saying that exactly. The old terms did commit RCI to refund decreases over 2% due to drops in taxes, fees, exchange rates - it does not refer to changes in basic pricing which is what 'price drops' are. Presumably the same conditions apply to all RCI brands in which case they will have to redsign the Celebrity and Azamara websites which actively enable you to upgrade your reservation for either less or more money dependent on current rates. Only last week we could have upgraded our Azamara cruise for a reduced fare but chose instead to phone RCI Weybridge and claim a £400 per person price drop - no quibble.

Ken

Hi,

Sigh.

Shakes head.

Just not a good marketing ploy at all is it?

It's asking a lot of money up front, for a family especially. I think this will cause a major slow down in early uptake.

FYI: Past 2 RCCL cruises, 2 different TAs based in the UK, both honoured price drops.

Hi Linda

You and a few others this side of the pond are really fortunate, as I have tried with my TA and was not granted the price drop. As I have said before I will not use a TA again will do all bookings myself and probably not with RCI. Will wait and see outcome of our cruise.

Sandra

I booked my next cruise in April for Oct 2010 and asked the TA if they would honor price drops to which they said yes but the TA said she did not think there would be any. I only booked this early as I thought I might get a price drop if the price decreases. I had to pay £480 deposit as we have two cabins!

I will definately book last minute and take my chances in future if I am not entitled to any price drops. My parents always book about 3 weeks before the cruise and always get a fantastic deal.

When did these new conditions come into effect?

Archived