The Upgrade Fairy Cometh

So it's been almost a decade since I last took a cruise. I decided to go this time so I could do some writing while my wife was in Europe and I booked a junior suite on the Mariner for tomorrow's sailing. I've been perusing the boards for a few weeks, getting up to speed on things and scouting out which bars will be my drinking holes, which I'll try to write in and which I'll be avoiding at all costs.

Along the way, I would see the occasional reference to the "upgrade fairy" bestowing her charms on unsuspecting passengers, but I thought it was a myth, yet another apocryphal yarn of the sea that mariners traded among themselves.

Until last night.

I logged in to print out my schedule of specialty dinner reservations so I'd have a handy reference during the voyage, when I noticed my reservation has suddenly changed.

"Owner's Suite" said my page.

Wait, this can't be right. I must have done something wrong. I'll log in again.

"Owner's Suite" it said again.

With the desperation of someone who finds a bag of money in the street and fears bank robbers might suddenly come back for their loot, I raced to print out a new SeaPass before they wised up. Newly armed with a hard copy to brandish in the face of anyone trying to direct me to my former accommodations, I spent the rest of the evening with a new-found affection for RCI and the smug satisfaction of having passed up the opportunity to pay for the upgrade a couple weeks ago when the whole swine-flu-itinerary-and-onboard-credit circus was in full roar.

I don't mean to preen and I hope this doesn't feel like I'm lording it over anyone, but I'm very, very happy this morning and thought I'd share it with all of you lovely people whose postings have helped me immensely as I've planned this trip.

Ahhh.

See you on the Mariner!

So it's been almost a decade since I last took a cruise. I decided to go this time so I could do some writing while my wife was in Europe and I booked a junior suite on the Mariner for tomorrow's sailing. I've been perusing the boards for a few weeks, getting up to speed on things and scouting out which bars will be my drinking holes, which I'll try to write in and which I'll be avoiding at all costs.

Along the way, I would see the occasional reference to the "upgrade fairy" bestowing her charms on unsuspecting passengers, but I thought it was a myth, yet another apocryphal yarn of the sea that mariners traded among themselves.

Until last night.

I logged in to print out my schedule of specialty dinner reservations so I'd have a handy reference during the voyage, when I noticed my reservation has suddenly changed.

With the desperation of someone who finds a bag of money in the street and fears bank robbers might suddenly come back for their loot, I raced to print out a new SeaPass before they wised up. Newly armed with a hard copy to brandish in the face of anyone trying to direct me to my former accommodations, I spent the rest of the evening with a new-found affection for RCI and the smug satisfaction of having passed up the opportunity to pay for the upgrade a couple weeks ago when the whole swine-flu-itinerary-and-onboard-credit circus was in full roar.

I don't mean to preen and I hope this doesn't feel like I'm lording it over anyone, but I'm very, very happy this morning and thought I'd share it with all of you lovely people whose postings have helped me immensely as I've planned this trip.

Ahhh.

See you on the Mariner!

I'm glad that you are taking this cruise in order to write.

You're a good one. ;) :)

Wow! That is awesome to pay for a junior suite and get the owner's suite. Too bad your wife isn't joining you. That is a lot of space for one person.

Come to the "Meet & Mingle". We are doing a cabin crawl so then we can all see the "owner's suite". That would be great!

Congratulations!

First, congratulations! Enjoy!

Second comment - It seems RCCL ignores its most loyal followers. As a Diamond, I have never been upgraded! Aw, guess it's just sour grapes!

I was thinking the same thing. We're platinum and haven't been upgraded. Congrats to the OP. And the writing is very good, too.

Until last night.

Ahhh.

See you on the Mariner!

Congratulations on your upgrade! The OS is a great place to just hang out. We are on the Mariner when you get off........in an OS.......and I will be able to read at least 3 books.

Bring CD's with you.......there is a DVD/CD player.......and a decent sound system.;)

Check out all of the "Suite Perks".......try searching for it......it will give you some additional places to enjoy a cocktail. I must say that it will be a little hard to write in the Concierge Lounge.....between 5 and 8 PM.

Come back and tell us of your experiences when you return.

Enjoy your cruise!!:)

Rick

Congrats on the upgrade. I'd be thrilled too!!

If your writing is anything like your original post, please let us know where we'll be able to enjoy it. I laughed right out loud at the paragraph describing you printing off your new Sea Pass. :D:D

Enjoy that OS and your cruise! Going to RCCL now and see if anything wonderful has rubbed off on me and I'm newly bestowed as well.......

First, congratulations! Enjoy!

Second comment - It seems RCCL ignores its most loyal followers. As a Diamond, I have never been upgraded! Aw, guess it's just sour grapes!

I am also Diamond never upgraded, I guess I have sour grapes too, happy for you upgrade. I guess the lesson is not to be loyal.

Congratulations on your upgrade! The OS is a great place to just hang out. We are on the Mariner when you get off........in an OS.......and I will be able to read at least 3 books.

Bring CD's with you.......there is a DVD/CD player.......and a decent sound system.;)

Check out all of the "Suite Perks".......try searching for it......it will give you some additional places to enjoy a cocktail. I must say that it will be a little hard to write in the Concierge Lounge.....between 5 and 8 PM.

Rick

I hope that ProdigalCruiser's suite actually HAS a CD player. Our RFS did not - just the DVD player. :(

I am also Diamond never upgraded, I guess I have sour grapes too, happy for you upgrade. I guess the lesson is not to be loyal.

The key to getting a free upgrade is to book an UNpopular cruise.

Perhaps you have had the "misfortune" to sail only on full ships!

Rick

Wow, 3 books...that is nice. Maybe a few cruises down the road I will get to that point. Well, ok Birthday cruise I may get a book read since I will spend more time watching scenery. I need to log in, check pricing and see if my cabin grew...also gotta remember to fill out and print my Set Sail Pass. (In the past I always did that on final payment day, but when I called it in this time I was on the balcony looking out over Galveston before we sailed.)

TO OP: Congrats on the upgrade...

The key to getting a free upgrade is to book an UNpopular cruise.

Perhaps you have had the "misfortune" to sail only on full ships!

We're on the revised Mariner itinerary in 2 weeks. For a while after the announcement people were canceling, but now it seems our cruise is filling back up, so I guess no upgrade for us this time either. Oh well, at least we have a hump balcony.

Until last night.

Ahhh.

See you on the Mariner!

Wow, congrats on your upgrade....enjoy the OS, they are wonderful. Have a wonderful cruise

Wow, 3 books...that is nice. Maybe a few cruises down the road I will get to that point. Well, ok Birthday cruise I may get a book read since I will spend more time watching scenery. I need to log in, check pricing and see if my cabin grew...also gotta remember to fill out and print my Set Sail Pass. (In the past I always did that on final payment day, but when I called it in this time I was on the balcony looking out over Galveston before we sailed.)

TO OP: Congrats on the upgrade...

Dave............should I print out my insurance form............on the day that I set sail????

Print out your form...........when you get your conformation.........:)

If there are problems.......from dining to wine ordered.......it's better to know up front........than wait till the last minute!!

Rick

Until last night.

Ahhh.

See you on the Mariner!

Wow! An upgrade from a Junior Suite to an Owners Suite! That sounds great! Enjoy your cruise!

Dave............should I print out my insurance form............on the day that I set sail????

Print out your form...........when you get your conformation.........:)

If there are problems.......from dining to wine ordered.......it's better to know up front........than wait till the last minute!!

Rick

I'd agree it is a good idea to print it out just to be safe. Let me know when you plug it in the system so I can make sure I have a confirmation it is enrolled (the travel insurance). The other stuff, I have set to pull a policy number next week and send it to you.

Have a Happy Memorial Day!!! Tomorrow it is out to MIL's place to visit with the Eskimo relatives in town. Today I had cattle work, but they did not behave, almost ended up with a ton of beef on top of me. Will work the cattle again without DW and DD present, and with neighbors as helpers!!!!

Enjoy your reading on the next cruise, as well as your get together in the PAC NW.

Archived