Short but Sweet Review of Solstice TA May

paulred

We just got back from touring Italy after our 15 day TA on Solstice. The beauty of the ship, its new condition and exceptional upkeep were noticeable. The food was excellent or better in every respect. Where there were occasional lapses on individual dishes ( usually fish courses) the staff went out of their way to keep the passenger happy.

To be blunt, anyone who complains about the food has no idea what they are on about. If any dish was not up to scratch, all one had to do was tell the waiter, and it would be fixed or replaced. In my case, my waiter sent back a lamb dish before I even saw it because it was not as ordered.

X does appeal to a more mature crowd, and TAs by their nature have few kids, so the passenger age group was well in their sixties on average, but younger folks had a good time too. The music was also more mature, with a string quartet, jazz quartet, jazz pianist and an a capella group. All played at various venues around the ship, particularly on sea days.

Cabins were spacious. I also have a hard time with those who complain about the closet and storage. This is a cruise ship, not a freighter. We had clothing for a 2 week cruise and 2 weeks in Italy, and we managed quite well.

Cabin and room service (breakfast) were provided by the same person, and was excellent.

I am one who does not mind extra charges for things like special coffee, gelato, crepes and specialty restaurants. They are indulgences and not necessary for a great cruise, so why not put a price on them for those who wish them.

My one big, and I mean BIG, complaint is the wine pricing. The ship serves elegant dinners every night, and wine is a necessary part of a great dinner. The wine list is overpriiced at all levels, and populated by more expensive wines at the expense of less costly bottles. Your daily choice seems to be an overpriced bottle, or an even more overpriced glass. You can drink half the bottle and have them save the rest for another night, but then that restricts your choices one the next night, as the remaining half bottle may not match up with the night's choices. Having sipped inexpensive house wines all over Europe, I cannot see why a decent carafe of house wine be offered at every meal.

The food in the Grand Epernay is so good, one never needs to dine elsewhere. But if you do, the Silk Harvest is excellent, and Murano is almost worth the extra $30 if you are celebrating a special life passage.

It would take a true curmudgeon to be unhappy after cruising on Solstice.

Paul

I am one who does not mind extra charges for things like special coffee, gelato, crepes and specialty restaurants. They are indulgences and not necessary for a great cruise, so why not put a price on them for those who wish them.

Paul

Paul,

I would agree with only one teeny, tiny little difference. COFFEE. Coffee is a necessity :D. It is a necessity for a great cruise . . . . or a mediocre cruise . . or even a lousy cruise . . . ooops, no such thing. :D

Now, I pray to the cruise gods . . . . . . please do not let the bean counters see the

so why not put a price on coffee
statement else wise the price of swill will go up in the buffet.

(OK, I will not remove the tongue that was firmly planted in my cheek) :D

Paul,

I agree with you 100%. Everything about the Solstice is top notch! Can't wait to sail the new members of the Solstice Class of ships.

You are correct, we would order more wine if the prices were a bit more reasonable.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We were on the Solstice in December and loved it so much we booked the Eclipse for June 2010. I agree about the wine. We usually purchase the wine packages they offer on other lines, in the medium price range, and can enjoy reasonable wine with every meal. While the wine steward was very helpful in our selections, it was hard to swallow some of those prices.

But, we don't do that much other drinking, so we could justify it:D.

Nicely done, Paul.

I agree with you that Celebrity has a bad philosophy about wine pricing. However I do know that by digging through the wine list and by asking questions of the sommeliers, we were able to find decent wines among the lowest priced offerings on the wine menu.

Art

We had a very nice Chiarello Family Bambino Cabernet on board in March. Had I not had it on the ship I would not have found it at all. Bought a case when I got home from the vineyard, it is not mainstream in local stores and like Rocket Science its hard to find.

Wine is a true pleasure, just like a cruise IMHO. It's value to enjoyment is not always a litmus test about best pricing.;)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise and the ship. She's a beaut!:)

We will be going on the Equinox in October. We just finished a TA on the Ruby Princess. We bought wine in Madiera, Seville, Rome and Barcelona. Given the price of wine on board the Equinox, we will do the same on our October trip. Unfortunately the corking fee will keep us drinking wine in our cabin this trip. On the Ruby we bought a few bottles in the diningroom and took wine we purchased in port. Corking fees on Princess are only $15, which is reasonable. $25 corking fee on Celebrity is not reasonable and $18 for a glass of wine is way too much.

Archived