14.95 Chops / What kind of steak?

I was just on Adventure of the Seas last week and the $14.95 Chops steak was Filet. No other choices, it was offered every night along with all the other entree choices. None of our group ordered it, but on a past cruise we had Chops as an alternative restaurant it was great!

What kind of steak is the 14.95 Chops steak that you can order in MDR.

Can you order any type of steak?

Or is it a specific cut? :)

We just came back from 11 nights on the RADIANCE of the Seas.

For information purposes folks, which I don't understand,

there was NO $14.95 steak at anytime on our menus.

We spent night #2 at CHOPS which was also a formal night.

The meal at CHOPS was excellent. (I had the T-Bone...YUM!)

The others all had the filet and, they all said they were wonderful.

Also, one night I decided to try the offered MDR Angus Sirloin steak.

I order my steaks "medium rare" and, this was the best steak I have

ever had on an RCCL ship...honestly, if I was to vote on which

steak was the BEST...the MDR "FREE" (not really) steak beat

the CHOPS steak...maybe I got lucky with that steak. :rolleyes:

It had a "high center" (thicker) than each end....but, no matter.

It certainly was good...

Also, on the last night, there were the Canadian/Maine lobsters

along with garlic shrimp. An EXCELLENT meal, for our last on the cruise meal. And, it was "casual dress" for that dinner. ;)

The alternative Chops filet is offered on the Monarch ( no Chops on board).

I ordered it on our recent sailing and it was very good. They make big deal that it is prepared by the “executive chef” and tell you that to takes extra time. We didn’t wait any longer for that entrée than any other evening.

Really makes a Chops a good deal (if there is one on your ship) as the steak alone was $15 and an entire Chops meal is $25.

Enjoy

M

Really makes a Chops a good deal (if there is one on your ship) as the steak alone was $15 and an entire Chops meal is $25.

I agree. Why pay extra for a steak in the MDR when you can have a very good full meal at Chops? In the MDR I'll just order what I already paid for in my cruise fare and have a good steak with all the sides at Chops itself.

The alternative Chops filet is offered on the Monarch ( no Chops on board).

I ordered it on our recent sailing and it was very good. They make big deal that it is prepared by the “executive chef” and tell you that to takes extra time. We didn’t wait any longer for that entrée than any other evening.

Enjoy

M

I've been spoiled by having a Chops restaurant on my last few cruises, now I booked my parents on their first RCCL cruise- Majesty for this July. If they are offering the 14.95 Chops steak on the Monarch, would it be fair to assume that they are doing the same on the Majesty? Even though these ships are not home to a Chops restaurant?

We've done Chops on many cruises and really enjoyed it. On the TA Independence in April, my dh ordered the steak on 2 nights in the MDR. It was not cooked properly either time. We just don't think they can do it as well in the MDR kitchen as in Chops so we would not order it again.

On Liberty my steak was cooked to perfection. Also got to pick from all the sauces they have in Chops and got the backed potato. Perhaps this was because I was dining on a ship that had a Chops.

• 3 weeks later...
Also got to pick from all the sauces they have in Chops and got the backed potato. Perhaps this was because I was dining on a ship that had a Chops.

I was confused about this. On the Enchantment, the MDR menu offering was "Steak from Chops". Note -*from Chops*, not like Chops, or as good as Chops. From Chops. But the fact that you can order a "Steak from Chops" on ships that don't even have a Chops (unless on those ships they call it "Steak Like You Might Get at Chops") may explain why I didn't think this steak was very good.

We ate in Chops proper two nights, and I ordered the steak from Chops one other night (on a 9-night B2B). The experience and food in Chops was outstanding, but I found the steak in the MDR which was supposed to be the same filet mignon was not nearly as good. I may try this option again, as it would not be fair to judge based on one data point, but I'm suspicious whether the MDR steak from Chops was indeed the same cut prepared the same way with the same care.

By the way, the first night we ate at Chops, they were having problems with the lighting such that it was stuck on full bright (as for cleaning the restaurant) - hardly the intimate dining atmosphere. They also no longer have the creamed spinach on the menu. When we were asked about our experience dining there, we mentioned these two points - not complaining, just mentioned. On our second visit, they had made some creamed spinach just for us. I thought that was pretty nice.

What kind of steak is the 14.95 Chops steak that you can order in MDR.

Can you order any type of steak?

Or is it a specific cut? :)

I have been informed it's just a thicker cut of meat that is choice, NOT PRIME.

I would NOT pay for any meat that was CHOICE.

I ordered the Chops Filet Mignon for my son twice last week on The Explorer (no Chops Restaurant there), and it was very much worth the surcharge, IMO! It is listed as 10oz Filet Mignon, but if I were to guess, it was very much larger than that, and was cooked perfectly. Cut like butter, perfect!

FYI: On the receipt, it is listed as $13.00 Chops steak, $1.95 gratuity. total $14.95.

I would definitely order this again.

A~

Archived