Formal Nights & Kids

We haven't been on a cruise since we had our kids (now 3 and 1) and I'm wondering, do people dress their kids up on formal nights?

Also, do people usually bring little ones to dinner in the MDR (on either casual or formal nights)?

I have a 3 year old boy who has been on our last two cruises with us (Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas and Jewel of the seas to Northern Europe) and I always dress him up. It is one of my highlights on the cruise, seeing my little boy all dressed up. Since we do have two more cruises lined up within the next year I am planning on purchasing a new suit or tuxedo for him to match his daddy.

Also, because on our last two cruises he was too small to participate in the kid's club, he was always with us at all times. I do anticipate him having dinner with us in the main dining room but I will probably take advantage of the new "my family time dining" so that we can finish our meal in peace. Although he was always good for us, but now that he is bigger he needs to be entertained more and we like to take our time eating dinner on cruises, so it takes us like 2 hours total.

Even though he will all dressed up for dinner and only be with us in the main dining room for 40 minutes, he will still be strolling around the ship and taking formal pictures with us.

DD (10) wears a dress that she would wear to chruch. DS usually wears a button down shirt, tie, and dress pants. He is now 5 and I'm planning to have him wear a suit (jacket and tie) for one of the formal nights this year.

I love seeing the little ones all dressed up! They look adorable and it's a great opportunity for a family photograph. Of course, you do see some of them rolling around on the floor in their dressy duds....hopefully after the photo ;)

I'm getting my 4 year old a tux for our September cruise. I do plan to have him in the MDR every night with us, although if he wants, I'll sign up for the My Time Family Dining so he can get picked up by the AO staff during dinner.

I would split it...some nights with the kids in the MDR, some nights maybe get a babysitter so you can have a few nice dinners.

Would you be at your own table or at a large table? I can't imagine people without kids wanting to sit with a 1- and 3-year-old, myself included. Not so much because of the kids (although I will admit that's part of it), but actually more importantly, the parents would be terribly distracted by the two little ones and probably not very "chatty," which is something I love about sitting at large tables.

I'd dress them up as best I could, though, because everyone will be fawning over their cuteness.

I have seen children in the MDR on formal night. Some are dressed like miniature adults while most have on nice clothes like one would wear to a formal school function. It seems like a big waste of money to buy a tux or suit for a 6 year old boy who will outgrow it in as little as a year. Dinner in the MDR usually takes one to two hours. It is very difficult for a young child to sit still that long.

Archived