Pool on Mariner - Alaska

This may sound like a dumb answer. . . but, it really depends on the weather. We were on the Mariner last May -- the temperatures ranged between 75 and 85 degrees. Many people were at the pool. This year, so far, the temperatures are quite a bit lower.

This may sound like a dumb answer. . . but, it really depends on the weather. We were on the Mariner last May -- the temperatures ranged between 75 and 85 degrees. Many people were at the pool. This year, so far, the temperatures are quite a bit lower.

Ah, but were people IN the pool? Does the Mariner even heat the pool, or is it ambient sea water (not too warm in Alaska)?

On my Alaska Mariner trip, we applauded the few brave souls that even made it to the hot tubs, let alone the pool. When the ship is moving, that Alaskan breeze can be quite chilly.

Ah, but were people IN the pool? Does the Mariner even heat the pool, or is it ambient sea water (not too warm in Alaska)?

On my Alaska Mariner trip, we applauded the few brave souls that even made it to the hot tubs, let alone the pool. When the ship is moving, that Alaskan breeze can be quite chilly.

Great point! Actually, I didn't look in the pool -- it was really warm outside and I had packed winter clothing so I stayed in the air conditioning.:confused:

Can't comment on Mariner's pool, but we have done Alaska twice in June. First time we never went anywhere near the pool, the second time it was comfortably warm enough in Ketchikan that I was in the hot tub while my wife was off snorkelling. Weather in Alaska really is a "crap shoot". Pack to dress in layers and you will be prepared for whatever you get!

We were there the end of June last year. While we did make it to the hot tub, it was chilly. It did make for great pictures with ice floating in the water in the distance. There were a couple brave souls in the pool. Most of the time while the ship was moving, jackets and bundling were necessary.

This thread raises an interesting question.

I have assumed that the pools on RSSC, Silversea, and Regent are all fresh/sea water and are *not* heated.

Does anyone have reason to believe that any of the ships on any of these lines heat the water in the pools?

Thanks.

The pool is a heated pool...not sure if freshwater or not

This really surprises me. I know that it's saltwater and they empty and refill the pool daily. It would surprise me to learn that they could even heat the pool in such a short period of time (from when it's filled in the morning until guests show up at the pool).:confused:

That makes sense Wendy. I have no idea how it works, I just know they call it a heated pool.

That being said in Jan, I was on the NCL Jade in the Med~their pool was heated too. People were in it it, just a few, but it was still too cold for me. I did enjoy the hot tub however!

It's definitely heated. Sailing through the Aleutians early last week (cooooold!), I touched the pool water late at night (after it was closed/netted off) just to see how warm it was, and it was probably 70-80 degrees at that point; there is zero chance the ambient water was anywhere near that.

Archived