Shore excursion/specialty dining charges

DoniaG

I made what I thought were reservations last night for some shore excursions. It's been many years since I took a ship's excursion, so I was a bit surprised to see that they charged my account immediately. I know there's nothing to be done about it, but I mildly object to giving them the use of even more my money well before I get the use of their ship and excursions!

My question is - Are they going to do the same thing when I make specialty dining reservations? (This time, I saw that the webpage says "Purchase.") I was going to make them for three nights because we're stuck with the early sitting on a sold-out ship. If we can get changed to late sitting, I may cancel one of them - and/or I may try to change the nights. And what if we eat there one night and decide that we don't like it? Am I going to have to request a refund? What kind of notice are you required to give to avoid being penalized?

When we were on Azamara last year, the specialty dining filled up very quickly and I don't want to miss my chance. (We liked the specialty dining on Quest so much that we were there 3 times on a 7-night cruise.)

I don't like paying for the shore excursions this far in advance - but at least I know I'll be going on them - barring disaster. But to plunk down almost $300 (3 of us for 3 nights) for something we can't be positive of wanting is kinda scary.

Has anyone had any experience with canceling specialty dining after you get onboard? As there's only one on Summit, does it fill up quickly? The sea days always seem to be the first to get booked. I was actually trying to find out about formal nights so that I could book La Normandie then - the idea of getting into tux and gown to go to dinner at 6:00 with every child on the ship is sooooooo unappealing! (Nothing against children, but few of them can appreciate my exquisite taste in evening wear!:p)

How 'bout sharing some experiences - we're on the June 15th sailing from Venice to Barcelona - my very first Mediterranean cruise! I can't wait!

Thanks for your help.

Donia

I have canceled both shore excursions and specialty restaurant reservations on board that I had made on line. There is nothing to worry about. Enjoy the Med--we just were on the first Solstice Med cruise and loved it.

Shore excursions:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000xdwVqZdjB5arBgZsulF3r3H:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Shore+and+Land+Excursions&faqId=2007&pagename=faq_answers

"Any refund request of prepaid excursions received by Celebrity Cruises 10 days prior to sailing will be made in full. Refund requests made on board after the Shore Excursion Office closes ticket sales for that particular port will not be accommodated."

Specialty Dining:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000xdwVqZdjB5arBgZsulF3r3H:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3373&pagename=faq_answers

Can somebody please tell me how to get beyond the "Search" command on the specialty dining page reservations? I put in my number, date, and time - but I never get to the booking page. I got to it last night, but I don't remember how! I've looked everywhere on the site and just can't find it. :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks, Donia

Can somebody please tell me how to get beyond the "Search" command on the specialty dining page reservations? I put in my number, date, and time - but I never get to the booking page. I got to it last night, but I don't remember how! I've looked everywhere on the site and just can't find it. :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks, Donia

I believe you must use Internet Explorer. I was having this problem when I was using Firefox.

Donna

Please don't be too worried about advanced reservations and ccard. This is no different from a Broadway show or many other venues. In fact, the excursions and restaurant reservations can be easily modified/canceled and the ccard shows the result pretty quickly. I've bought tickets for sporting events and plays that are non-refundable, or a pain to cancel. This isn't as bad.

My wife got sick once prior to a restaurant reservation within the 24hr period and they fully refunded it - nicely. Goes to the onboard account then.

As to kids at early seating, you are sailing in June but on a Med cruise, so it may not have as many kids as you are concerned about. Celebrity has excellent kid programs, but isn't touted as a kid cruise line. I can't remember ever being bothered by kids on Celebrity - a few bores, but not kids. We take early seating, and although my wife accuses me of acting like a child, I'd love to admire your gown!

We will be behind you a few months, and looking forward to it.

Denny

I believe you must use Internet Explorer. I was having this problem when I was using Firefox.

Your right must use IE not Firefox. Although sometimes that hasn't even worked for me here of lately. I have found it just as quick and easy to just call as dcguy has said. I have even asked for a confirmation email and gotten one in mintues.

Pam

I would not worry to much about kids onboard... on our Panama Canal sailing there were only 6. We had a young one down the hall from us and she was very well behaved.

As for getting credits back we had ordered too much alcohol for our room and I asked the day before the cruise ended if I could get it refunded and they had no problem doing it. It showed on my card before I got home.

After using princess iu was surprised about pre apying but all the cruiselines seem to so it that way. So now i am use to it. I look at it this way at he end of the cruise all my dinners and the few tours i did are not on my final bill- only drinks and the spa.

Thanks, all! You make me feel a little more comfortable about paying in advance. I do use Firefox, but will try Celebrity's site with IE. If all else fails, I'll call them but I would prefer to do it online to create a "trail". I called them a couple of days ago and asked which nights would be formal. I talked with three people and got three answers! Thank goodness, the last one finally said, "We don't know that - they decide on the ship." :D

Donia

Archived