Stockholm Archipelago

I am not an early riser! Love to sleep in! But I have heard so much about the arrival in Stockholm , with many passengers waking up at 4 to see the passage through the islands.

My question-do we get a similar "effect" leaving Stockholm Í´ll be awake and can have a drink on my balcony!).

If the answer is no , what is the latest I can wake up to get a good "idea"of the archipelago ?

We arrive at 8 and leave at 5.

Thanks !

Kim

Morning is great for the light (and less haze) if you want to photograph. But if you just want to experience it, the evening exit should be just as good. We left from Stockholm, so I didn't see it both ways. Going into Oslo was prettier in the morning but not worth losing sleep if you're not a morning person.

I am not an early riser! Love to sleep in! But I have heard so much about the arrival in Stockholm , with many passengers waking up at 4 to see the passage through the islands. My question-do we get a similar "effect" leaving Stockholm Í´ll be awake and can have a drink on my balcony!). If the answer is no , what is the latest I can wake up to get a good "idea"of the archipelago ? We arrive at 8 and leave at 5. Thanks Kim

Hi, Kim! We did the sail in and it was nice. The biggest "factor" might be the weather. As you can see by the below photos, we saw some water, trees, houses, etc. It was good to do and see. The weather was a little so-so or only average that am in August 2008. Clearly there are more dramatic settings in terms of harbor settings, huge rocky mountains, etc. If the weather had been a little clearer, it would have been better. Go for the best weather period. Most of this sailing in is along lower-level lands with lots of forests, etc. Not world-class dramatic, but good.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-Sth-CruseIn2.jpg

1A-StH-CruseIn3.jpg

1A-StH-CruseIn4Bird.jpg

1A-Sth-WaterCruisingIn1.jpg

Plus, this view in Stockholm along its harbor with buildings and this interesting ship:

1A-StH-WatersideBldgShip.jpg

You do take the same route in and out. I got up early and certainly didn't regret it. Something about dawn and the stillness of the day on the sail in. On the sailout there is lots of activity going on in the channels.

You do take the same route in and out. I got up early and certainly didn't regret it. Something about dawn and the stillness of the day on the sail in. On the sailout there is lots of activity going on in the channels.

Great point on "dawn and the stillness of the day on the sail in". That is a very nice and important factor. Weather is still the big, big variable. Below is a picture on sailing out of Oslo with its City Hall in the background. When it's nice, clear and/or sunny, that is a huge SUPER PLUS!

Also below is sunset in Copenhagen from the ship. We sailed out of there at midnight which was neat on a clear night after loving that charming Danish capital. We liked being on the top deck of the ship at sail-out. On sailing out for our ship, they always played Lewis Armstrong's "Beautiful World". Great touch!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Oslo sailing out:

1A-Oslo-SailingOut.jpg

In Stockholm at sunset::

1A-Copenh-Sunset.jpg

Vienna was absolutely amazing!!What an incredibly elegant and culturally rich city.

I ate schnitzel and lots of other yummy , yummy things.

And the Wachau Valley was one of the nicest places I´ve ever been...

Now I´m counting my days till my cruise-less than a month away!!!Yeah!

Kim

Archived