pacific dawn quarantined (Merger of all swine flu threads)

thied

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/25/2580326.htm?section=australia

Authorities have quarantined another cruise ship in Sydney because of swine flu concerns, disrupting the travel plans of around 2,000 people.

A spokeswoman for P and O cruises says the Health Department is awaiting swine test results on two passengers, who returned on the cruise ship from the South Pacific this morning.

The ship was due to set off back to the South Pacific at 4:30pm AEST but is awaiting approval from the Health Department before it can depart.

Around 1,400 passengers have already boarded the ship and 600 others have been told to return to the Darling Harbour terminal at 6:00pm to find out whether they can embark.

Thanks for the article link!

A little confused.

By the sounds of it, two passengers returning from the cruise are being tested for swine. They started embarkation but stopped in the middle of it before completing embarkation??

im happy to do so . I hope all this swine flu dos end soon in saying that i dont think this is the last of it , may be not a cruise ship but some where else,

Hey,

I am confused I read the reports that 2 kids have confermed cases of swine flu on the pacific dawn.

Though how come 600 people where told to come back later and see if they can embark? Are they possibilities of swine flu?

And I would be quite annoyed if my family or friends where aloud to board and I wasn’t.

Hey,

I am confused I read the reports that 2 kids have confermed cases of swine flu on the pacific dawn.

Though how come 600 people where told to come back later and see if they can embark? Are they possibilities of swine flu? And I would be quite annoyed if my family or friends where aloud to board and I wasn’t.

Hi Drelix,

I think that once the authorities found they had two cases of Influenza A (and possibly swine flu) they stopped more people embarking and putting those people at risk. If further testing proves it to be swine flu, they can put the sick people off the ship, but there would be disinfecting to be done.

Evon.

but then all the people already on the ship will have the potential risk of having swine flu because of the people so still don’t quite understand 100 percent why they cant let the rest on unless p and o will not let them on altogether and compensate another cruise.

Its still a bit confusing would like to be down there to find out more.

Keep updating people.

but then all the people already on the ship will have the potential risk of having swine flu because of the people so still don’t quite understand 100 percent why they cant let the rest on unless p and o will not let them on altogether and compensate another cruise. Its still a bit confusing would like to be down there to find out more. Keep updating people.

It is the Health Department who sets the rules and P & O have to follow them. It is likely that the Health Department instructed P & O not to let more people board and put more people at risk. If P & O let people board knowing that there is a potential risk, then they could put themselves in a difficult legal position if one of those passengers becomes ill. The other passenges would have boarded before P & O and the Health Dept. were aware that there was a risk.

Evon.

I hope it all works ut with no serious cases! I guess if those onboard are allowed out of their rooms etc maybe they could have an island night in sydney harbour?

It was bound to happen sooner or later but I would hate for these 2 cases to give the cruise industry in Aust a bad reputation... it could happen anywhere airports, hotels/motels etc except airports and cruise embarkations are hot spots for detecting and looking for cases i guess.

Any new word from anyone already on board?

Any new word from anyone already on board?

I just had a look at the roll calls for the cruise just finished and the one starting today. Both very quiet with not much activity so I'm guessing we won't get too much inside goss unless people here know someone on board with a mobile phone!

Archived