Livorno port to Florence and Pisa by train

Hi, we will be in Livorno on the Ruby Princess on June 23rd.

Instead of taking the crowded (and expensive) shore excursions, we want to visit Florence and Pisa on our own, by train.

I've looked at the trenitalia.com website, but cannot seem to get timetables it always tells me "no solutions found" for any search that I do.

Do they run all day long? How much is the fare? How much should I expect to pay the taxi from the port to the train station?

I know that we should visit Florence first since it's farther away then stop in Pisa. Will the same train that's taking us back from Florence make a stop in Pisa?

From the train station in Pisa, can we walk to the Leaning Tower? Is it worth buying tickets to go into the tower?

This will be my first time in Italy. We are extending our vacation 5 days in Tuscany after our cruise, so we're thinking that if we don't get to see everything we wanted to in Florence we can always drive back.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Grazie! :D

There's a good chance that the new schedules are not posted yet.

Livorno Centrale to Firenze S.M.N.: There are direct trains at 11 after the hour plus quite a few connecting options -- connect in Pisa.

Quite a few trains Florence -> Pisa and Pisa back to Livorno

Give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship because just like the USA trains can be canceled or run behind schedule.

If it was me I would just do Florence because there is so much to see there. But I understand why you want to go to both places.

Just give yourself pad for the unexpected.

Keith

I've looked at the trenitalia.com website, but cannot seem to get timetables it always tells me "no solutions found" for any search that I do.

Do they run all day long? How much is the fare? How much should I expect to pay the taxi from the port to the train station?

I know that we should visit Florence first since it's farther away then stop in Pisa. Will the same train that's taking us back from Florence make a stop in Pisa?

From the train station in Pisa, can we walk to the Leaning Tower? Is it worth buying tickets to go into the tower?

:D

It's that time of year again for Trenitalia. They update their schedules and have a very unique way of doing it. Wipe out all the schedules, then start adding back the new ones (albeit very slowly). They start with the Eurostar, then the IC+ and the IC, and finally the Regionale. The later being the ones you will be interested in.

Take a look at my train site (link below). The schedules and rates are there. Schedules rarely change. The new schedules will be up before you depart so that you can verify them.

All trains to Florence from Livorno stop in Pisa. You can walk to the tower but it is easier to take a bus - right in front of the station. Buy your tickets at the newstand inside. You can do the round trip on a single 60 minute ticket (about €1,20.)

Worth climbing it? Personal choice. I personally don't think it is worth the time that you'll have to spend in line (even with tickets purchased ahead of time).

This is my personal opinion, but I think you will be struggling to do both and make them worthwhile. You would be better doing one or the other and spend a longer time there.

Choose Pisa and you need to book in advance to climb the tower, if you just turn up you will be llocated a time , which mybe after your train leaves to get back to Livorno.

Taxi to Livorno Centrale station from the port is 5 euros per person if my memory is correct.

You can get the port bus to the bus terminus and then the bus to the station

This is making me so sad that I may have to choose between the 2 cities! I'd love to be able to spend some time walking around Florence, but it would kill me to be so close to Pisa and not see the tower!

This is making me so sad that I may have to choose between the 2 cities! I'd love to be able to spend some time walking around Florence, but it would kill me to be so close to Pisa and not see the tower!

I guess because I have done both, different times, if it was me I would do Florence. So, much to see. Far less in terms of Pisa.

Keith

Here's a post from our Roll Call that gives train station/time tables to/from Lucca & Pisa.

We were in Livorno on 3 May on board Solstice, and it only cost us 7 Euro for round trip train with a stop on the way back at Pisa.

Most of the Taxis out by the pier want to take you on tours, but you can get a taxi from the pier to the train station. Cost was 20 Euro per taxi, and most of the taxis were 8-pax taxis. Same price from train station back to the pier. So, get a group together and share.

We caught the 9:11 to Pisa where you change trains to Lucca. Returning catch the 2:42 from Lucca to Pisa, take a few photos, then catch the 4:34 or 5:00 train to Livorno. Here's the May schedule. Times may change by June, but go on line and print out the latest train schedule.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19072047&postcount=4082

I understand wanting to see both. What do you want to see in Florence?

The Uffizi, L'Accademia, HoHo bus tour, Ponte Vecchio or ??

If you go to Florence on the shuttle, bus, then train and reverse the process, you will use more of your time.

If you want it all, but don't want the shore ex, you could get a CC group on your ship to hire a driver to get you to Florence (faster) and then Pisa.

Can you walk from the port in Livorno to the train station?

You cannot walk ot of the port. Not allowed. You can take a ship's shuttle from the ship to Piazza Grande and walk from there. Probably 25-30 minutes. I'd spend €1,20 and take autobus #1.

Thank you so much for your tips!

I think we will definitely take a taxi from the port to the train station and try to share the ride with others from our ship. With the tight schedule, I don't want to waste a half hour walking to the station.

The sites that display time tables were very helpful, thank you.

I agree with flichick, being so close to Pisa and not seeing the tower would be a disappointment. We will skip the climb though.

Take a look at my train site (link below) for info on trains in/out of Livorno.

The Tower is an easy 1 hr RT from Pisa Centrale station by bus. All trains to Florence stop in Pisa. (I lived within 15 min of Pisa for three years - went to the tower once. Climbed it once.)

Everyone's been so helpful!

If I decide to stop in pisa on the train back to the ship, how far is the tower from the train station?

A little over a mile. Probably about 25 minute walk. Bus stops right across the street from the station. A 60 min ticket (€1,20) will get you there and back with about 20 minutes on-site.

I read that if you wish to stop at Pisa you should stop at the Pisa S. Rossore station which is a block away from the Tower. What's your opinion ?

Not all trains to Pisa stop at S. Rossore; in fact, a majority do not.

Thanks everyone for sharing this information - does anyone know how much time does it take from Livorno to Florence in train?

Thanks

Rajat

Round numbers, about 1hr 15min. There are actually two different routes that the trains take from Pisa to Firenze (they alternate) so the time might be a few minutes longer.

Be sure to visit GSPLover's link to the trains in Livorno. It helped us a great deal on our recent trip. Print off the train schedule and take with you as this information will be needed.

Enjoy Firenze.... Its beautiful and very easy to tour around on your own.

Round numbers, about 1hr 15min. There are actually two different routes that the trains take from Pisa to Firenze (they alternate) so the time might be a few minutes longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading all your posts...already saved the train info. I'm sure it will be extremely helpful! Would you know if RCCL also has a shuttle bus at Livorno? And, do you know how far it is from the Pisa Central train station to the tower? Is it walkable, or do you suggest a taxi? Based on your experiences, if trying to do both cities, would you suggest Pisa first, or Florence? Sorry for all of the questions...first time cruising in Italy. Thanks!!

Just reading all your posts...already saved the train info. I'm sure it will be extremely helpful! Would you know if RCCL also has a shuttle bus at Livorno? And, do you know how far it is from the Pisa Central train station to the tower? Is it walkable, or do you suggest a taxi? Based on your experiences, if trying to do both cities, would you suggest Pisa first, or Florence? Sorry for all of the questions...first time cruising in Italy. Thanks!!

RCCL has a shuttle in Livorno (to Piazza Grande). If you are going to Florence first (my recommendation), then I would grab a cab (unite with other pax for the trip) to the train station (5 € each. You will save over an hour.

Pisa station to tower is walkable but suggest a bus (right across the street from station). Given the choice, I'd spend every available minute in Florence!

We are also on Ruby Princess the same date. If you start with Florence, you could probably forget about Pisa. Livorno Station is a long way from the ship, and the tower is a long way from Pisa Station, meaning you'll spend a lot of time going to and from stations. Forget about Pisa and concentrate on Florence - and take another cruise next year! This year we have rented a car to go to Lucca or Siena - we haven't decided yet. With GPS it should be no problem, and it will cost us less than 100 € for 4 people - including taxes and petrol.

Good luck!

Screwcork

Archived