Would like to know people's favorite Greek island (other than Santorini and Crete)

poss

We're looking at a cruise that embarks in Athens and I think we'll want to spend no more than a day or so touring Athens before the cruise. Are thinking maybe to spend several days on one of the islands near Athens. We've been to Crete and Santorini (loved them both) and will be stopping again on this cruise. Cruise also stops at Mykonos, Delos and Rhodes. Are there other islands (easy access from Athens) that are equally pleasant? I'd love to hear about favorites. Our main interests are beautiful scenery, pleasant walking/hiking; less interested in museums, no interest in shopping.

Thanks!

Poss:

We were cruising from Athens last May, and flew in a couple of days early. We had been to Athens before, and looked forward to doing a few things again (Acropolis, Plaka, Monastiraki), along with a couple of new things (Cape Sounion, newly-reopened Archaelogical Museum), but also wanted to extend our "Island experience". After a lot of looking around, we decided to just metro to Piraeus, and hop on the Hydrofoil to Aegina for the day. It's only 30 minutes or so (75 mins back on the regular ferry).

We were so pleasantly surprised. It's like it's a million miles from Athens, and while perhaps not as dead-drop romantic as some, like Santorini or Mykonos, it's a really interesing place. We rented a car (about E30) for the day, and drove down the coast and had lunch at a little fishing harbour, then spent a couple of hours at a pretty nice beach, and then drove around, seeing one of the largest Greek Orthodox churches we've ever seen (!), plus seeing the abandoned villages nearby on the hillside, and just missing closing time (but seeing from a distance) a pretty well-preserved Greek Temple. On the drive back to the port we stopped for a coffee "freppe" at a pleasant (quiet) town beach, and then returned for dinner at the very atmospheric port. Took the late ferry back at about 9:45 pm or so. We had a great day!

We took the ferry from Athens to Poros, one of the Saronic Islands, not much more than an hour from Athens. Spent a couple of days there then went to the mainland Peloponnese and toured around for 4 days by rental car, based in Napflion. It was fabulous. I highly recomment the Peloponnese because most of it is not as touristy as many Greek islands are now. Fabulous. Poros was really fun too, we just vegged out with a view of the harbour from our little hotel room, recovering from jetlag, drinking wine and eating grilled octopus.

I recomment Nafplion too, because many attractions are arround this town and the town is (maybe) the most beutifull town of Greece...

Close to Nafplion: Mycenae, Epidaurus, Ancient Argos , Ancient Corinth, Ancient Midea.

There is too a very nice village Tolo for swimming, fresh fish and mini cruises to Poros, Hydra and other islands.

Nafplion is 1 1/2 hour by car from Athens and is my birth town.. so, for any info you need, just ask me:)

I loved Mykonos. We took the bus to the beach and had a wonderful relaxing afternoon. They had chairs and umbrellas available to rent for a couple of euros, there was a cafe selling drinks and food. On the way back to the ship we stopped for a bite to eat and a glass of wine. We were at a cafe right by the water - great place to people watch and enjoy the day.

If you want an island close to Athens, then my vote would go to Hydra as something a little out of the ordinary. In the Cyclades, I prefer the less touristy islands, like Serifos and Sifnos.

• 1 month later...
I recomment Nafplion too, because many attractions are arround this town and the town is (maybe) the most beutifull town of Greece...

Close to Nafplion: Mycenae, Epidaurus, Ancient Argos , Ancient Corinth, Ancient Midea.

There is too a very nice village Tolo for swimming, fresh fish and mini cruises to Poros, Hydra and other islands.

Nafplion is 1 1/2 hour by car from Athens and is my birth town.. so, for any info you need, just ask me:)

Hello,

I will be in Nafplion on 4th September from 2pm - 10pm. I cannot find much information about what to do here. I have been to Athens before. Can you recommend how I can fill my afternoon or any nice restaurants.

Thank you;)

Hello,

I will be in Nafplion on 4th September from 2pm - 10pm. I cannot find much information about what to do here. I have been to Athens before. Can you recommend how I can fill my afternoon or any nice restaurants.

Thank you;)

you can drink a coffee on the beach or eat at one of the many restaurants in town:

coffe: Ρendezvous (suggest fredo espresso with cinnamon:p)

lunch-dinner: Arapakos, Savouras, Katsehamo (check the prices first!! if you want eat fish you have the right see the fish and choose before cooking)

You can go to Tolo too, (6-7 miles from Nafplion) where you can find many traditional restaurants and tavernas (suggest "Kokinos Vrachos" -translate: "Red Rock" with very nice view). At Tolo has very nice beach for swimming..

for go to Tolo you can use taxi or bus(every 1 hour: http://www.ktel-argolis.gr/en/schedules_08.asp )....more about Tolo: http://www.tolo-guide.gr/

We just got back from our Cruise and we liked Myconos for sure, the people were very nice and the town is very pretty. Rhodes is nice also, but be careful if you eat at any Restaurant, the cost of the meal changes when you want to pay. It was more expensive there then at Myconos. We also loved the Island of Corfu.

We're looking at a cruise that embarks in Athens and I think we'll want to spend no more than a day or so touring Athens before the cruise. Are thinking maybe to spend several days on one of the islands near Athens. We've been to Crete and Santorini (loved them both) and will be stopping again on this cruise. Cruise also stops at Mykonos, Delos and Rhodes. Are there other islands (easy access from Athens) that are equally pleasant? I'd love to hear about favorites. Our main interests are beautiful scenery, pleasant walking/hiking; less interested in museums, no interest in shopping.

Thanks!

Mykonos was my favorite.

Well, this isn't real helpful, since I have not been to any of the islands you haven't visited, or won't visit on this cruise, but: Of the islands I HAVE been to, I'd vote Santorini as my favorite, hands-down, Mykonos second favorite, Delos third favorite, and Rhodes (least favorite). Like you, I like scenery; not very interested in museums, and definitely not interested in shopping!

I loved Mykonos. We took the bus to the beach and had a wonderful relaxing afternoon. They had chairs and umbrellas available to rent for a couple of euros, there was a cafe selling drinks and food. On the way back to the ship we stopped for a bite to eat and a glass of wine. We were at a cafe right by the water - great place to people watch and enjoy the day.

Which beach did you visit? Can you share any additional info about taking the bus? Thanks!

Rhodes gets my vote. I've been twice, once only touring the old town alone on foot and the other on a bus tour that centered on the area around the old town followed by another walk about.

It's one of those places that I would like to go stay for a week or more.

Which beach did you visit? Can you share any additional info about taking the bus? Thanks!

Take a ataxi if not for $6 ea way, After you get off of the ship most everyone speaks english and will tell you which one to take.

Archived