Passport stamp in Bermuda?

iphotograph

Hi,

we will be on the Dawn sailing to Bermuda. I would like to have my 4-year old son's passport stamped when we get there. Is there a Customs building near the Dockyard or maybe in Hamilton?

I searched the board and some of the info I got here were from 2006, so it may not be accurate anymore.

Thank you.

Edited by iphotograph

They do at the gray customs building in St. George on Ordnance Island. I had it done last week. Don't be put off by the signs that say "Restricted". The door you want is the furthest. Try to go there around noon so you can watch the dunking!

Please explain this "dunking" ... :)

They do at the gray customs building in St. George on Ordnance Island. I had it done last week. Don't be put off by the signs that say "Restricted". The door you want is the furthest. Try to go there around noon so you can watch the dunking!

It's a reenactment of an old punishment. The woman has been tried for being a gossip and a nag, and is sentenced to being dunked in the harbour.

Despite its misogyny, it's actually pretty funny! At the one I visited (which I think was a different day than William...even wet, that doesn't look like our gossip) a woman from the audience decided to champion our poor convict, and even sat on the dunking aparatus so they couldn't do it again.

Wear a hat! You're in the noon-day sun for quite a while.

• 10 months later...

Hi iphotograph,

I called H.M. Customs and they said that the place to get your passport stamped is the main office, opposite the Cabinet Building on Front Street in Hamilton.

They do have offices in St. Georges and Dockyard, and the officers there are happy to stamp your passport providing they are not busy with their primary duties (and if they are actually in the office - they spend most of their time inspecting ships and boats).

Hope that helps!

Have Fun!

Chesneygirl,

Yes Maam they do.

Just make sure your there on a day they do it, dunking.

We are going to be there again now next month but alas not the day available.

Such is life ..;)

Do they still do the dunking and the stamping of the passport?

We will be there in June (2010) with the kids and I would love to get their passports stamped and view the dunking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

CC member and Bermudian 32N64W wrote -

...Hi all,

The place in Hamilton for passport stamping is the Customs Office, which is opposite the War memorial and Cabinet Building on Front Street, about five minutes walk from the Ferry Terminal....

in post #5 of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1421419

SBtS

Ah yes the thread I already posted in! For some reason at the time I bumped this old thread, when I clicked on my user name I couldn't see any of my recent posts. Think it was because search function was down. Thanks SBtS you're the best.

Edited by Lovely_Star

• 7 years later...

An update, for anyone who might be searching for this information - I was able to get a stamp from the grey customs building on the dockyard in St. George, with ease. We were originally unsure due to a sign on the building stating that only those with "official business" would be allowed to enter, but a local told us we would be fine. Once we went inside, the lady just asked to see our cruise sail passes. 

You can also still go to the customs house on Front street in Hamilton. It's currently on the second floor of a small complex. I stopped by just to ask if their stamp would be the same, which they confirmed it would be. 

Both buildings are a short walk from their respective ferry stations, and I found government officials on the island to be friendly and accommodating.