If we can do one luau in Oahu...

cruiser123cba

This coming July will be my 8th. time to Hawaii, and though not an expert, I have tried two Luau's, one on Maui, and one on Oahu.

I have done Germaines Luau on OAHU), 5 times, and will be doing it for the 6th. time in July.

The entertainment starts the minute you get on the bus at Waikiki, and never ends. The entertainers are excellent and really put themselves into the show. The food would be rated on a scale of 1-10 probably a 7.

WE truly enjoy their show.

Go to You tube and bring up a video on the Luau, their are quite a few.

Aloha

Later

• Administrators

We really enjoyed Paradise Cove's luau -- we booked the deluxe version, with table service, and had a marvelous time. There's a link in my signature to our photos and review, and I also have several videos on YouTube of it (they all have Paradise Cove in the tagline). Someday I'd like to see the PCC's luau, but we didn't have time to do a whole day there, and that's how I'd like to do it.

I've been to both, although I confess they were 20 years apart. Both shows were great and you'll enjoy either.

If you go to the PCC, you'll first go into a large dining area where they have some entertainment while you eat. You then leave there and move into a large auditorium for the evening show, which was really good.

My memory of Paradise Cove was that it was all in one location. I remember that show being really good as well.

Paradise Cove is in a beautiful location outdoors. PCC is in a more enclosed theatre - no ocean view.

They serve alcohol at Paradise Cove so the crowd is probably a little rowdier than at PCC. PCC is run by the Mormons so no alcohol is served.

Hope this helps!

We have been on land vacations to O'ahu 5 times. I have been to Germaines, Paradise Cove and PCC. and Paradise wins hands down with our group. Paradise Cove also starts when you get on the bus but the location is much better. More of what we think of as a luau, sand, beautiful water, great sunsets and lots of room. We were met by a couple of the show dancers (one male, one female) to have our picture taken. My husband loved having our picture taken with a beautiful girl wearing coconuts. Real flowers lei's for the women and the men received the big black nut type. Our table was pointed out to us then we were off for drinks and games. The food was just ok. We were very surprised and glad they asked a blessing before our meal. The show was one of the best with a range from the real meaning to the hollywood type of hula with a large stage. At the PCC the food was great but not really what we call a luau. It was just under a large roof with one singer (we did enjoy her show). The main show was after eating and on a different side of the park but again it was a really good show. One complaint we had was it was hard to find something to drink in the park (they only have water) it was really hot that day and going without something to drink can put you in a bad mood. They had kids pulling ice chest around with water making it hard to find. The park is Mormon owned and the kids from the Mormon Collage work the park. If you want to be where Elvis filmed one of his movies you found it. At Germaines the tour girl on the bus was one of the best but when we arrived we were instructed to find our own table and it depends on what order your bus arrives as to the seats you can find the first bus in gets good seats, last bus gets the left-overs. The food was terrible, we have some big eaters in our group (10) and only one went back for seconds and most left food on their plate. Believe me when I say this is something we wrote down on our calender. The show was smaller and the lei's were just those $1 shell type which you used to put on the table to show the seat was taken. The location is in a industrial area. The picture was like a regular snapshot taken in front of the one little place you can see water. We were really disappointed with this luau. We have talked to other people who loved each of these places. Just think about what you are looking for in a luau if you have never been to one you will love the one you pick. Even the Hawaii Hotel has a small luau by the pool and its free.

we did the paradise cove last year and taking granddaughter back this year. we thought if was great since it was on the water.enjoyed the food.we had deluxe seating. got a souvenier mug and our photo taken. a little disappointed in the photo. picture was great but should have each gotten a photo with your admission but if you had picture taken with husband that one photo was all we got. got to make our own flowered bracelet. the dancers were great. would really recommend this luau although we don't have any other one to compare it too.

After reading many threads on Luau's here and reading the Revealed Books we decided to do Germaines Luau (this Friday :D); we like to enjoy an alcoholic beverage.

The Revealed Books Rates them in this order:

1. PCC

2. Germaines

3. Paradise Cove

4. Royal Hawaiian

we did the paradise cove last year and taking granddaughter back this year. we thought if was great since it was on the water.enjoyed the food.we had deluxe seating. got a souvenier mug and our photo taken. a little disappointed in the photo. picture was great but should have each gotten a photo with your admission but if you had picture taken with husband that one photo was all we got. got to make our own flowered bracelet. the dancers were great. would really recommend this luau although we don't have any other one to compare it too.

That's too bad about your photo. We got 2, one was just myself and DW and the other was with the 2 dancers and us.

We just returned from Hawaii and went to the Paradise Cove Luau since were staying at the JW and could walk to it. We did the deluxe version with table service. They leis both for men and woman were nice. The setting is lovely and we got great sunset pictures. They have some pre dinner activities and shows. In previous reviews I have seen more game type activities at this location. The pre dinner activities in our case were just lei making, canoe rides and some shows, hula, shower of flowers, net throwing, etc. It was pretty good. Seemed a little long for us though before the dinner and show. The meal was ok, not great, not terribly bad. Fried chicken, pork, salmon, rice, rolls, green beans and two types of salads. Table service is nice but you basically get a little bit of everything but not that much of the things you may really like. They will bring you more of what you ask but a little annoying. Having said that I think the table service is much better than waiting in the long buffet lines. Also we were deluxe and up against the stage but all the way left so for picture taking since the stage is raised not so good. Would have been better farther back and center.

Here is a link to my pictures (there are are lots of the luau)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572735516WmZbQs

Laura

If you can search this site....a few weeks ago there was a discussion about luaus and one was recommended at the military hotel on Waikiki. It sounded great and I believe the review was good. I think the name of the hotel starts with a K. Sorry I cannot be more helpful but when reading about it I was impressed. Hopefully someone will be able to post the name. Cherie

The military hotel is the Hale Koa (next door to HHV). You would need to call them to make sure you can buy tickets if you are not military, as I am not sure. Was really a great luau when we attended in January. They have really upgraded the food and the entertainment.

Aloha from Hawaii,

I live here and often take visitors to both of your choices. The question is how much time you have on your hands.

For PCC you need all day and into the evening. If you are driving you can get there early and enjoy the different villages before the dinner and show.

If you only have a few hours in the evening I would recommend Paradise Cove. Great, scenic location, reasonable prices, decent food, drinks aren't watered down and lots of freedom to move about and do crafty/games things.

You will enjoy either one, good luck in your decision making!

Aloha,

Kat

I'd recommend Paradise Cove. The location was absolutely gorgeous and the drinks and entertainment were very good. The food was just OK but that was fine as I was more interested in the entertainment and scenery (and after having my first ever Mai Tai, the beverages :)). We are cruising to Hawaii in 2011 and will definitely go to a Paradise Cove's luau again if time permits.

Archived