seafood.......lobster nights?

kdesantis

do you still get lobster in the main dining rooms at dinner?

On the Dawn lobster is available every night in the main restaurants (pilot program for new menus). On other ships I believe one night will be lobster night in the main dining room.

do you still get lobster in the main dining rooms at dinner?

On my last NCL cruise on the Jewel, lobster night consisted of half a lobster tail per plate. Seconds have never been a problem, to my knowledge.

I guess it depends on the particular ship. On the Sky, I didn't see lobster on the menu in the main dining room on any night. I did see some sort of dish with various seafoods mixed together that had lobster in it (I can't remember the exact dish because I didn't order it). I was a little disappointed that a plain lobster tail was never an option on the menu any night though - I have never been on a cruise before that didn't offer it.

I guess it depends on the particular ship. On the Sky, I didn't see lobster on the menu in the main dining room on any night. I did see some sort of dish with various seafoods mixed together that had lobster in it (I can't remember the exact dish because I didn't order it). I was a little disappointed that a plain lobster tail was never an option on the menu any night though - I have never been on a cruise before that didn't offer it.

No...what you describe as "plain lobster tail" is not on the main dining room menus of any NCL ship. However, they will serve you just the lobster tail portion of the mixed seafood dish if you ask for it that way...but it is not cold water (Maine) lobster tail anyway, it is warm water rock lobster tail.

No...what you describe as "plain lobster tail" is not on the main dining room menus of any NCL ship. However, they will serve you just the lobster tail portion of the mixed seafood dish if you ask for it that way...but it is not cold water (Maine) lobster tail anyway, it is warm water rock lobster tail.

Okay, thanks for the info... this was my first NCL cruise, and since it was always a featured item on other cruiseline's dining room menus, I guess I just expected it to be offered at some point. If we sail NCL again, I will certainly ask for it plain, as I don't like all the other mixed seafood items. I really wish we would have made it to one of the specialty restaurants, I know some of them offer lobster tail - but we had our 15 month old son with us, and avoided those restaurants for the benefit of the other customers.

we had our 15 month old son with us, and avoided those restaurants for the benefit of the other customers.

Very thoughtful of you. For my two cents, I'd tell you to go out to eat and don't worry about the child; a 15 month old kid crying in a restaurant never bothered for two reasons:

1) There are plenty of adults out there who are just as bad as kids.

2) I once had a 15 month old kid and I empathise with anyone who is in the same spot. Your kid crying has no effect on my enjoyment of my dinner. Nor should it for anyone else.

Anyone looking for the ultimate in elegance doesn't belong on Norweigan Cruise Line. NCL is priced at a level that families with kids can afford. If you can't handle kids, go to Cunard.....

On the Dawn lobster is available every night in the main restaurants (pilot program for new menus). On other ships I believe one night will be lobster night in the main dining room.

are they doing "Pilot Program" of new menu ideas, i.e. lobster every nite on all Norwegian Ships or just the Dawn? We're on the dawn 8-30 and Jewel 10-30...Love lobster and shrimp, but highly allergic to other fishes....Will let let me vary the lobster dishes with the seafood I can eat? Thanks...

Very thoughtful of you. For my two cents, I'd tell you to go out to eat and don't worry about the child; a 15 month old kid crying in a restaurant never bothered for two reasons:

1) There are plenty of adults out there who are just as bad as kids.

2) I once had a 15 month old kid and I empathise with anyone who is in the same spot. Your kid crying has no effect on my enjoyment of my dinner. Nor should it for anyone else.

Anyone looking for the ultimate in elegance doesn't belong on Norweigan Cruise Line. NCL is priced at a level that families with kids can afford. If you can't handle kids, go to Cunard.....

I am glad that you stated that it was YOUR 2 cents. I applaud the poster for thinking of the other cruisers. Nothing is worse than an overly fuzzy child at dinner. Some parents will attempt to comfort the child, others just ignore their child so they can eat their dinner....with no consideration of others. All cruisers want an enjoyable experience. MY 2 cents.

are they doing "Pilot Program" of new menu ideas, i.e. lobster every nite on all Norwegian Ships or just the Dawn? We're on the dawn 8-30 and Jewel 10-30...Love lobster and shrimp, but highly allergic to other fishes....Will let let me vary the lobster dishes with the seafood I can eat? Thanks...

Right now the new menu is just on the Dawn.

That seems like a strange way to sell the specialty restaurants. I would think a lot of people would eat lobster instead of spending $15 for linguini

That seems like a strange way to sell the specialty restaurants. I would think a lot of people would eat lobster instead of spending $15 for linguini

Well, the lobster in the main dining room is warm water caribbean rock lobster; the lobster in the specialty restaurants (where there is much, much more than linquini ;)) has whole Maine lobster. And, better steaks (IMO).

Lobster is one night and a seafood combo with Lobster/scallops/mussels and salmon is served another night: yum, yum but a little on the rich side.

Nita

Lobster is one night and a seafood combo with Lobster/scallops/mussels and salmon is served another night: yum, yum but a little on the rich side.

Nita

According to the menus that were posted from last week's Dawn cruise, Lobster tail with steak is offered every night in Venetian.

Venetian - Dinner

Then, each night is a manager's special:

Chef's Daily Selections

Now I don't have to worry about missing lobster night!! :D

And, the seafood extravaganza is served in Aqua every night:

Aqua - Dinner

I do not think any of the 3 and 4 day cruises offer Lobster anymore, at least I have never seen it.

Nita

Wrong, one night they do offer Lobster Tails, the other it is the dish you are referring to. As for not being Maine Lobster, that part you are correct about. we have cruised over 20 times, many over, all mass marketed lines and never had truely "Maine Lobster" tails. It is always the little guys.

Nita

Wrong, one night they do offer Lobster Tails, the other it is the dish you are referring to. As for not being Maine Lobster, that part you are correct about. we have cruised over 20 times, many over, all mass marketed lines and never had truely "Maine Lobster" tails. It is always the little guys.

Nita

I am not wrong based on my most recent NCL cruise...March 7, 2009 on the Gem. On neither of the "lobster nights" were just "plain" lobster tails offered. In both cases they were part of a seafood dish...not the same dish both times, but a seafood dish with more than just lobster none the less. I may be wrong in the exact details, but I recall one night it was lobster and a plain fish such as grouper, and on the other night it was a more complex dish containing several types of seafood. These appeared to be the standard Freestyle 2.0 menus in effect in March so I assume most ships with 7 day cruises or longer had the same options. I noticed on your list of cruises taken that you last cruised NCL in 2008. If that is accurate you very well may not have cruised when the latest Freestyle 2.0 menus were in effect.

We have had large cold water (Maine) lobster tail on at least one of our cruises...on Azamara.

I am not wrong based on my most recent NCL cruise...March 7, 2009 on the Gem. On neither of the "lobster nights" were just "plain" lobster tails offered. In both cases they were part of a seafood dish...not the same dish both times, but a seafood dish with more than just lobster none the less. I may be wrong in the exact details, but I recall one night it was lobster and a plain fish such as grouper, and on the other night it was a more complex dish containing several types of seafood. These appeared to be the standard Freestyle 2.0 menus in effect in March so I assume most ships with 7 day cruises or longer had the same options. I noticed on your list of cruises taken that you last cruised NCL in 2008. If that is accurate you very well may not have cruised when the latest Freestyle 2.0 menus were in effect.

We have had large cold water (Maine) lobster tail on at least one of our cruises...on Azamara.

NJ Horseman,

You are correct.

I was on the Dawn in January and on the Spirit two weeks ago.

The lobster dishes that you describe was exactly what we had on both ships.

Lobster was featured on two different nights, but it it was not the broiled lobster tails that they used to serve. The first night, it was 1/2 a tail on a plate with baked grouper, and a couple of days later, a 1/2 tail was part of a

pasta dish with a shrimp and a couple of bay scallops.

In the past, on 'lobster night", broiled lobster tails were served with drawn butter. It wasn't Maine lobster, but most of the time it was pretty good.

My son's who are now grown were teenagers when we first sailed the Dawn, and they remember the waiters removing the shells at the table with silver tongs and offering melted butter. Our experience was very different this past sailing.

I usually order something else on lobster night. The duck is very good.

NJ Horseman you said they didn't offer lobster tail on ANY NCL ship. But, they are trying new menus on the Dawn as a pilot program that does have broiled lobster tail every night (served with a steak, but I'm sure you can ask for just lobster). And, it isn't Maine Lobster, it's Caribbean lobster (littler guys). If it's successful, they will probably roll out this new menu fleet-wide. I'll find out in 2 weeks and let you all know.

Here's hoping that they bring broiled lobster tail back no matter what! :D

NJ Horseman you said they didn't offer lobster tail on ANY NCL ship. But, they are trying new menus on the Dawn as a pilot program that does have broiled lobster tail every night (served with a steak, but I'm sure you can ask for just lobster). And, it isn't Maine Lobster, it's Caribbean lobster (littler guys). If it's successful, they will probably roll out this new menu fleet-wide. I'll find out in 2 weeks and let you all know.

Here's hoping that they bring broiled lobster tail back no matter what! :D

You're misinterpreting what I said. They do not offer lobster tail as a "stand alone" entree on any ship...it is always in combination with something else. It is not the traditional broiled lobster served with drawn butter. Even on the Dawn's experimental menu it's not a stand alone dish...you've noted it is served with steak. I already said they will give you the lobster tail with out the other items if you ask.

If anyone thinks "Warm water" lobster isn't good enough for them, please feel free to contact me off list - I'll be happy to take it off your hands!

If anyone thinks rock lobster tails are as good as Maine lobster, call me because I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. :D

If anyone thinks rock lobster tails are as good as Maine lobster, call me because I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. :D

Would that bet the Brooklyn or Manhattan, because I'm already a 50% owner in the Brooklyn Bridge. :)

Archived