Frog & onion.......

MBurke17

• 2 weeks later...
We are thinking about going to the Frog and Onion for something to eat when in Bermuda...can anyone tell me what the food, atmosphere and prices are like?

Thanks,

Michael

We went there last year because we had heard it was this great place you couldn't miss. It wasn't. It was like any restaurant you'd see anywhere in the US> Fries, burgers etc. It's pricey but EVERYTHING in Bermuda is.

re Bonefish bar & grill

What is their menu like & would you rec. it?

Thanks

It's kinda expensive and the portions are on the small side but it is excellent. Typical Italian dishes dominate the menu.

We went there last year because we had heard it was this great place you couldn't miss. It wasn't. It was like any restaurant you'd see anywhere in the US> Fries, burgers etc. It's pricey but EVERYTHING in Bermuda is.

The etc. consists of beef pies stewed in ale that is brewed on site, curried chicken pies, English Fish n Chips, battered in a beer batter and yes, they brew the beer for that onsite. Or grouper served with fried banana and lemon garlic sauce. My favourite is the mahimahi fillet fish sandwich. Yup. You could find this in any restaurant you'd see anywhere in the US. I forgot Bermuda fish chowder served with black rum and sherry peppers! Surely you can get that at TGI Fridays or Sizzler.

The etc. consists of beef pies stewed in ale that is brewed on site, curried chicken pies, English Fish n Chips, battered in a beer batter and yes, they brew the beer for that onsite. Or grouper served with fried banana and lemon garlic sauce. My favourite is the mahimahi fillet fish sandwich. Yup. You could find this in any restaurant you'd see anywhere in the US. I forgot Bermuda fish chowder served with black rum and sherry peppers! Surely you can get that at TGI Fridays or Sizzler.

I'm salivating.:D

Unfortunately, there are many people who have very limited palates and will not look beyond burgers and fries.

Unfortunately, there are many people who have very limited palates and will not look beyond burgers and fries.

I agree with you 100% Heart. It does a disservice when they offer this as good advice. It could potentially cause lots of people to miss out on something they might really enjoy.

It's actually rather rude to sarcastically comment on another's opinion. I'm quite certain if all of your posts were reviewed there'd be lots of poeple who didn't agree with everything you said, but don't feel the need to display a superior attitude.

It's actually rather rude to sarcastically comment on another's opinion. I'm quite certain if all of your posts were reviewed there'd be lots of poeple who didn't agree with everything you said, but don't feel the need to display a superior attitude.

I don't see how anyone could say it was burgers and fries. The person saying that was misstating the facts. I have had the fish and chips and the fish chowder myself, yum. Also enjoyed the beer brewed there. They even let me sample a couple of brews to decide which to order. It is not like any restaurant in the US although you could find some in the English pub style.

Well boyle.. i would have to agree with you.. tourist trap! But remember a lot of people travel and hope to find food that they are used to at home. Now had you falmed Ascots or Fresco's i would have agreed... but it's a pub!!!! Pubs don't cater to people's palette's;)

Well boyle.. i would have to agree with you.. tourist trap! But remember a lot of people travel and hope to find food that they are used to at home. Now had you falmed Ascots or Fresco's i would have agreed... but it's a pub!!!! Pubs don't cater to people's palette's;)

What is your definition of a tourist trap?

What is your definition of a tourist trap?

a place that allows a toursit to dictate the menu rather than the island (it - the pub - provides the tourist foods that familar to them.. rather than broadening their tastes..) I love the pubs in Bermuda.. but lets not confuse it with real cusine:rolleyes: Pubs are great and have their place :D but are not known to offer many options for a palette :o

I'm quite certain if all of your posts were reviewed there'd be lots of poeple who didn't agree with everything you said, but don't feel the need to display a superior attitude.

If you were to take time and review my posts you'd find that the majority by far are fact, not opinion. I am not a visitor here so my opinion is of very little use, I live here so I deliver facts. Boyle said it was like any restaurant you'd see anywhere in the US> Fries, burgers etc. And I merely clarified what the etc was and also pointed out that the "etc" is not commonly found at any restaurant you'd see anywhere in the US. If you can show me a menu from a few US-style restaurants in the US that has these items on the menu I would appreciate it. I believe the small sample of the menu I listed here proves, at least according to Pee-ah's definition of a tourist trap (a place that allows a toursit to dictate the menu rather than the island (it - the pub - provides the tourist foods that familar to them.. rather than broadening their tastes..), relieves the F&O from tourist trap status.

Because of location of the place, and anyplace at the Dockyard is going to get a lot of business from tourists. They have food one could find at home. Burgers and fries are on the menu. But much of the menu is stuff I don't find on the menu here in Maryland. Cornish Pastry, Fish and Chips, Cottage Pie etc. . It is up to the tourist to decide what to order. So I don't think it is a tourist trap. It does cater to tourists but that is because of location.

a place that allows a toursit to dictate the menu rather than the island (it - the pub - provides the tourist foods that familar to them.. rather than broadening their tastes..) I love the pubs in Bermuda.. but lets not confuse it with real cusine:rolleyes: Pubs are great and have their place :D but are not known to offer many options for a palette :o

I don't think anyone is claiming that the Frog and Onion, or any pubs for that matter, have cuisine like any of the very upscale restaurants offer but it/they certainly have far more than burgers and fries. Sure they have "pub grub" but like bdaguy pointed out, there are menu items that are far from what may be offered in the US, which is counter to one person's assessment.

I guess we all have different opinions as to what a tourist trap is but I always felt it was a place specifically created to attract tourists and most likely overcharge for the goods or services they are offering. I have no inside knowledge but I would be willing to bet the owners of the Frog and Onion did not set out to open a tourist trap either by your definition or mine.;) Like Charles says, simply by their location, they will have a lot of business from tourists. Does that make them a tourist trap?

It's also rather interesting that a resident, bdaguy, does not consider it a tourist trap, nor does jolly jones, another resident who recommended it when someone asked where locals eat.:)

If tourist traps are a bad thing then why are cruise ships so popular? If letting the tourist dictate what goods and services are provided rather than letting the "local" custom dictate then cruise ships are the most desperate of tourist traps. Every year cruise lines spend millions of dollars on market research to find out exactly what the tourist wants and then they spend a whole lot more on making that happen on their ships. If overcharging for something makes it a tourist trap then price a bottle of US beer on your next cruise and compare that to the price in your friendly neighborhood bar. As best I can tell a tourist trap is someplace that overcharges for a less than good quality product because the tourist has no other option in the area, wether it be a roach ridden hotel room in the middle of nowhere or a greasy diner in the desert hence the "trap" in tourist trap-you are trapped there because it's the only choice. Truth is a tourist trap cannot survive in a competitive area because you can decide to go somewhere else. All restarants in Dockyard have the menu posted outside the door with the prices so you can decide if it's a tourist trap or not before you walk in the door.

I understand condos are to be built on Sea Egg's property and he moved to the West end.;):)

While the condo part may be true, I very seriously doubt that there's anything powerful enough on Earth to drag Sea Egg out of his beloved St Davids. I would've heard the kicking and screaming in my office if that part was true! Kinda sad that Dennis's is no more.

While the condo part may be true, I very seriously doubt that there's anything powerful enough on Earth to drag Sea Egg out of his beloved St Davids. I would've heard the kicking and screaming in my office if that part was true! Kinda sad that Dennis's is no more.

I heard it from a Bermuda resident who spoke to someone who is close to the situation. You need to do some in depth checking since this person said he was living there now. He also found it strange since he said Sea Egg lived his whole life on the east end. Maybe that's why he went to the other side....wanted a different view for a change.:D

Thanks for backing me up. I thought we were going to go there and there would be music from Bermuda, something really cultural. Instead, as I said previously it was pretty much pub food, In fact, we asked what was good on the menu and the waiter said the burger and fries. No mention of chowder or anything else. My husband asked for a beer, and asked for suggestions and wasn't told anything abut their own beer. So before the couple of people go off on innocent posters they should really get their facts straight.

Thanks for backing me up. I thought we were going to go there and there would be music from Bermuda, something really cultural. Instead, as I said previously it was pretty much pub food, In fact, we asked what was good on the menu and the waiter said the burger and fries. No mention of chowder or anything else. My husband asked for a beer, and asked for suggestions and wasn't told anything abut their own beer. So before the couple of people go off on innocent posters they should really get their facts straight.

No one was "going off" on innocent posters. Some facts, and not just opinions, were just getting straight. There's nothing wrong with voicing an opinion but it's just that.....an opinion.;) Posters were only showing that there is more to the F&G than what you experienced. If anyone wants to see what is available, besides pub food, all they have to do is go to the F&G website and look at the menus.

Don't know why you thought there would be something really cultural at a pub.:confused:

Could be the waiter thought you wouldn't be interested in some of the more unusual offerings and not all waiters are the best.....they can be real duds anywhere.

Archived