passport renewal question

Arwenmark

I notice that NCL and others require your passport to be good for at least six months after the date of your cruise, which makes no sense to me. It is either valid or it isn't.

So when should you set about renewing a passport? I assume if you follow their logic you are losing at least six months of the ten years of validity?

Lots of countries won't allow you in if you've less than 6mths on your passport, e.g. Mine's due next March; I'm safe to use it in Spain in Oct, but must renew as soon as I return because I'm in Egypt in Feb, and the 6months applies there. NCL is being sure you're covered. Don't know about the US, but EU passports add the extra months-jocap.

I notice that NCL and others require your passport to be good for at least six months after the date of your cruise, which makes no sense to me. It is either valid or it isn't.

So when should you set about renewing a passport? I assume if you follow their logic you are losing at least six months of the ten years of validity?

Yes, technically you are.

The logic behind the rule-IF your passport expired, let's say two weeks AFTER your cruise. BUT you were injured and had to stay in, let's say Belize, in a hospital for those two weeks. You are now persona non grata. Your passport is expired. You are an illegal. You are subject to ARREST, detention, deportation (without all the due process you have in the US).

So to MAKE SURE this doesn't happen to anyone, cruise lines AND airlines generally REQUIRE 6 months validity to a US passport BEFORE they will let you board. Figure something can be worked out in 6 months but maybe not in 2 weeks.

Airlines are fined heavily IF you arrive someplace and have to return to the USA because of improper paperwork. Don't have a current visa to someplace-you can't fly from the USA as a general rule.

Hope this gives you some insight on why the rule is in place.

It is because visitor visa's have a 6 month limit. I've seen people turned away at the gate. Don't let it happen to you.

Incorrect info. Quite a few visa's for countries are only valid for 30 days. The RULE has absolutely NOTHING to do with a "visitor's visa" (I am assuming you are posting about a USA visa for someone from a foreign country). It truly has to do with getting Americans STUCK in a foreign country and not having a valid passport.

Just for the benefit of the Canadian CCers, the six month rule does not apply to Canadians booking a US cruise..... we're heading to Alaska and our passports expire less than 6 months from our return. I called to make sure!:)

I was told that it doesn't apply to Canadians heading to the US.

Incorrect info. Quite a few visa's for countries are only valid for 30 days. The RULE has absolutely NOTHING to do with a "visitor's visa" (I am assuming you are posting about a USA visa for someone from a foreign country). It truly has to do with getting Americans STUCK in a foreign country and not having a valid passport.

Thanks for the info, The time I saw it happen was to a 16yo going to the Galapagos on a school trip. Luckily she was able to get her's renewed at the Fed Building in LA and met the group three days later. I will say that she handled it better than a lot of adults would have.

My passport does not expire for another 3 years. However it has my maiden name on it. I didn't get it changed when I got married and just carry a certified copy of the marraige license showing the name change. (Has never been a problem until this last cruise - they changed my name on the cabin when we checked in to my maiden name. So my sail and sign card didn't match the name on the account.)

So, I am thinking about renewing early, but.... Does anyone know what would happen on the expiration date? Would it stay the same, or would it expire 10 years from when I renew? Obviously, I don't want to renew now and then have to renew again in 3 years. And it is too late to just do a name change.

So, I am thinking about renewing early, but.... Does anyone know what would happen on the expiration date? Would it stay the same, or would it expire 10 years from when I renew? Obviously, I don't want to renew now and then have to renew again in 3 years. And it is too late to just do a name change.

The expiration date will change to 10 years from the date of renewal. It is too late to do a name change so the renewal is your only option.

Change Your Name in Your U.S. Passport

The expiration date will change to 10 years from the date of renewal. It is too late to do a name change so the renewal is your only option.

Change Your Name in Your U.S. Passport

Thanks! I knew I couldn't just do a name change, but couldn't find anything about the date of renewal. Sure didn't want to spend $100 to renew now with a name change, then have to do it again in 3 years!

Archived