Our "Burial at Sea" Experience on the Maasdam

What a great story. Having just spent 15 days aboard the Maasdam on the repositioning cruise in May 2009 and working with the crew I can see where they would go out of their way to help any situation. May have to think about this procedure for my future. Colakid.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful and inspiring story. I am curious, if you don't mind my asking, was there a charge for this service from HAL? It isn't idle curiosity but something I've considered doing when the time comes.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful and inspiring story. I am curious, if you don't mind my asking, was there a charge for this service from HAL? It isn't idle curiosity but something I've considered doing when the time comes.

Dont mind you asking at all.....Surprisingly there wasnt a charge, but I did ask because I had expected there might be.

When I did it on the Oosterdam in November everything that was supplied including flowers by HAL, there was no charge.

I did write a letter to HAL praising them for this and the professional attitude on board of those involved.

Let's say it is one of the truly bright spots on HAL right now. Not many of you will experience this side but trust me I don't think it could have been handled any better.

The OP really shows that HAL is able to handle this.

Phil

What a wonderful way to leave this world. I've always told my children to take a cruise and throw my ashes overboard. Now, I can suggest a slightly more elaborate way. HAL is nothing but the best!

All that said, I also like bepsf's idea of putting the ashes in a vase on board so that he can continue cruising! I think that all of us who love to cruise think alike.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful Maasdam experience.

Your aunt was a very lucky person to have someone carry out her last wishes as you have done. My condolences on your loss, and blessings to you and the rest of her family.

I plan to have my family "leave me" in the Caribbean when the time comes - I've already picked out my vessel of choice and will have funds available for a final family cruise. Here's my shell: http://www.funeral-urn.com/biodegradable-urns-burial-at-sea-shell-sand.aspx

It's nice to know that some cruise lines are open to suggestions like this.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I am happy to read this thread and that the ceremony was so nice for you.

I have been planning something similar...though different...for my upcoming trip. Some of my fondest memories of my mother have to do with traveling with her. I have half of her ahses (my brother had other things he wanted to do). I plan on taking these with me and releasing part of them in various places along my voyage.....thus taking her with me one last time.

My heart goes out to you & your family..Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful experience of scattering your Beloved Aunts ashes off a HAL ship..

Several years ago a Friend was buried at sea, from another's private boat.. My Good Friend recited the beautiful poem "Over the Bar" At that time I asked my Husband, Family & Good Friend to bury me at sea & recite that poem, but none of us really knew how it was done on a cruise ship..

Thanks to you, I can give them the information..

As Ger 77 stated it's such a good idea to leave both instructions & enough money for their cruise to bury me at sea..

Thank you again..

I've already picked out my vessel of choice and will have funds available for a final family cruise. Here's my shell:

That's an attractive container; thanks for the link.

This is all starting to come together in my mind, and I'm so comfortable with it. Perhaps that means it's the right thing for me.

great post....shows that HAL is indeed a " class act " ....i , too , have asked that this be my final cruise ....have sailed with cb on volly dam and she is one of the best, if not the best , grm on these dam ships ...her african experiences are really worth asking her about ....she knows how to give back to those so less fortunate .....don carlos

Years ago, I told my hubby and family that I want my ashes to be spread off a cruiseship and now I can show them the OP post. The family hasn't ever cruised and I told them that they'd need to go on a cruise if they wanted to be a part of my burial service. Besides, the cost of everyone getting a nice cruise could end up less than some of the huge funeral bills I've seen/heard about. I've always said that HMC is a slice of heaven. Maybe that's where I should ask to be left.

Thanks for a wonderful story.

• 10 months later...

that sounds a lovely ceremony you had i too having lost mum last week wopuld like to do a simular thing. i am doing a ship visit on the MAASDAM this year i wonder if i could speak to someone when i am onboard and see what they say

dave

that sounds a lovely ceremony you had i too having lost mum last week wopuld like to do a simular thing. i am doing a ship visit on the MAASDAM this year i wonder if i could speak to someone when i am onboard and see what they say

dave

Dear Dave..My condolences on the loss of your Mother.. Our prayers & thoughts are with you..

Before you board the ship it would be wise to contact Ships services prior to boarding..They will set it up with the GRM (Guest Relations Mgr) beforehand..

As WeLoveCruising mentioned: Quote: as well as spoke to ship's services about it in advance. They all said we could do the burial at sea, and all we needed to do was to talk to the GRM once we were onboard. They were very touched that my aunt had specifically chosen the Maasdam for her burial at sea.

I boarded the Maasdam last Saturday with some family and a few of her closest friends. We were in "S" suites, and met some of the ship's officers at the suite welcome reception. I introduced myself and told them the reason why we were there, and they had been expecting us. GRM Christianna Becks (sp?) was so very accomodating, and worked with the concierge, Cathy, to make the arrangements. Unquote

We wish you & your family a Happy & Peaceful Easter..

Betty

Archived