Seriously... formal wear?

mizona

Which is exactly what Rugrats said.

"...where this poster gets off"? :rolleyes: ahem

Definition - does this help?: where do you get off Used in challenging a person who has said or done something offensive as an equivalent of the expression, "how dare you?"

Where do you get off saying such a thing?

:rolleyes:

Definition - does this help?: where do you get off Used in challenging a person who has said or done something offensive as an equivalent of the expression, "how dare you?"

Where do you get off saying such a thing?

:rolleyes:

I know, I know....you yourself said you were having one of those days, blindrid.;)

Guess "challenging" what Rugrats said and then you saying the exact same thing said just made me chuckle. :rolleyes:

These people have no idea what they are talking about.

HAL does not prohibit jeans on casual nights. In fact, in 2000, on Volendam in Alaska, people were wearing jeans on our cruise.

Yeah, someone can still find a not-removed dead link on a web page, but if you followed the HAL boards, you would see he's OK in jeans on casual nights.

By the way, the vast majority of the people we have encountered on my 43 days on HAL in the past 12 years have not been anywhere near as "off the wall" as some of the zealots here on CC.

And, you will find a lovely dinner location in the Lido for your two formal nights and your husband can still wear his jeans there. The joy of Lido for dinner those two nights is being able to sit by the floor to ceiling windows and watch the scenery while enjoying a very nice dinner for two. no noise, no hoopla, no judgmental people.

I adore Alaska. The last time we used HAL there, we did not try and make dinner there in Juneau because our whale watching tour arrived back at the ship five minutes before dinner on a casual night. We went up to the dining room to tell my parents to eat without us because we were still in fleece tops and windbreaker pants. The maitre d' told us, no problem, go in and eat but we felt "underdressed". Interestingly enough, lots of people were in very casual clothing, but we didn't want to intrude.

We had a lovely dinner at the Red Dog listening to the music and returning to the ship with a six pack of Alaska Amber Beer, brewed in Juneau, for my dad to enjoy later.

This was nine years ago.

Jeans are not prohibited on casual nights. The lido dinner for formal nights is perfectly acceptable as an alternative to lugging a suit.

Again, don't sweat it.

Yes, to me it is hard to understand why they still persist with these "formal" nights. It really depends on the cruise line to how they define "formal". And on the Royal Caribbean cruises that we took in the last year (New England and Alaska), there were several "smart casual" nights that required less formal dresses for women. On the formal nights (we had 3 on a 14 day cruise last month), many of the women wore cocktail dresses (knee length) instead of the long gowns. Dresses and skirts and blouses were ok on the "smart casual" nights although there were also women wearing dressy slacks.

Everyone is sensitive to the fact that there are limits to the amount of clothes that you can bring so try to maximize but mixing and matching. I also look for clothing and shoes to pack that are not heavy. Your idea for sandals is excellent, expecially for the Caribbean. I suggest a dressier sandal for the evening (not flip-flop types).

If you are not planning to wear your formal again, I would suggest looking to borrow, buy from consignment or resale shop. Remember that recycling ("being green") is in fashion now. What better way to show that spirit by buying "used" and then donating to a charity upon your return? Believe it or not, I was able to find the most gorgeous formal dress at one of our Las Vegas resale shop at a bargain...and then minus a senior discount. I just had it cleaned really well, updated it with a new sash and it was delightful!

Another scenario you might consider is to opt for an alternate dining option, like the buffet or room service, on the formal nights. Without knowing what ship you will be on, I don't know what your dining options are.

Greatam posted: "Guess you have missed the fine food and ambiance on Cunard, Seabourn and some X cruises (over 2 weeks)."

Seriously, no mass market cruise line like HAL or X comes anywhere close to a fine dining experience.

Some of the defrosted banquet fare purchased from US Food Service looks good and tastes good but in no way is it fine dining.

Having a friend who is a chef for US Food Service, we are well aware of what you are served on the mass market line.

As for Seabourn, yes, if you want to pay $500-600 a night, per person, you'll get fine dining. HAL isn't it.

As for ambiance, every cruise ship dining room on the mass market lines looks like our local "prom night" banquet halls. Not impressed with the decor or the ambiance. When it reaches the level of the French Laundry or Inn at Little Washington, I might be inclined to require fellow diners to dress appropriately.

When it looks like the local chain prom/wedding halls around here, ain't gonna impress me. Your mileage may vary, but again, it's not fine dining.

HAL "promised" you that other passengers would be dressed in a certain way? I'd say you are you in for letdowns if you take suggested style of dress that literally. And as for not observing the "rules" -- Rules? HAL would have a difficult time enforcing such 'rules' in this economy.

"Expectations?" You are buying a cabin on a cruise ship with thousands of other people who all have their own vacations at stake and not all of them 'expect' to dress to the nines to eat dinner. You are bound to be disappointed no matter what you encounter.

Jeans have been worn for years on HAL, and that line has always been known to cater to an "older" crowd, often traveling with family groups/grandkids, so all bets are off as to who will be wearing what.

As to quality of food in ship's dining rooms -- Cunard and Seabourn and Silversea cannot be compared to the ships of HAL, Princess, RCI, NCL or Carnival. There are far fewer passengers to deal with on ships like Seabourn's, for one, and a more gourmet experience can thus be anticipated.

Crystal, with two relatively large ships, is in a class by itself. Celebrity is hit and miss -- semi-gourmet but don't count on it. And, amazingly, there have been times I've found food on a Carnival ship to be superior to that on Princess or RCI, just as an example.

How you can equate food/service and clientele on any cruise ship to that of a single high end restaurant in some city or town is beyond me. One restaurant catering to a few people on a given night is simply not comparable to mass feedings on large cruise ships.

As for every imaginable venue having a set dress code, even a biker bar, surely you jest.

BTW, you mention The Rainbow Room (I presume you mean the one in NYC?) I assume you know it closed down last January, and is open only a time or two a month these days. Better call them before showing up next time!

One of the most selfish posts I have ever read on CC. It is OK to have your cruise, jeans and all (and if you were on HAL and wore jeans to the main dining room, you did not observe the rules), but it is NOT OK for me to have what the cruise line PROMISED-ambiance, a formal atmosphere, fine dining with all the courses and all the silverware/glassware and everyone dressed in formal clothes????? Pretty darn selfish to not only other passengers but to the cruise line. VERY disrespectful.

I do not book a cruise line that does NOT have formal nights nor does not enforce the rules (although certain cruises get pretty sloppy in enforcement). No different than EXPECTING to have exquisite service, fine food and ambiance in a restaurant like River Cafe, Per Se, Rainbow Room-ALL have a dress code. Or going to a biker bar in jeans and t shirts. You plan something with EXPECTATIONS that the experience will yield a certain atmosphere and ambiance. IF parts of the experience are lacking, you feel let down. And part of the experience on a formal, traditional cruise line is formal night. Other cruise lines promise different experiences-no formal nights, jeans allowed, etc., etc. I don't book those but they are perfectly fine for those who care for that experience.

Guess you have missed the fine food and ambiance on Cunard, Seabourn and some X cruises (over 2 weeks).

Thank you Annierie - I rest my case!

Greatam posted: "Guess you have missed the fine food and ambiance on Cunard, Seabourn and some X cruises (over 2 weeks)."

Seriously, no mass market cruise line like HAL or X comes anywhere close to a fine dining experience.

Some of the defrosted banquet fare purchased from US Food Service looks good and tastes good but in no way is it fine dining.

Having a friend who is a chef for US Food Service, we are well aware of what you are served on the mass market line.

As for Seabourn, yes, if you want to pay $500-600 a night, per person, you'll get fine dining. HAL isn't it.

As for ambiance, every cruise ship dining room on the mass market lines looks like our local "prom night" banquet halls. Not impressed with the decor or the ambiance. When it reaches the level of the French Laundry or Inn at Little Washington, I might be inclined to require fellow diners to dress appropriately.

When it looks like the local chain prom/wedding halls around here, ain't gonna impress me. Your mileage may vary, but again, it's not fine dining.

:eek: I am the OP of this hot topic. Kinda sorry I opened this "can of worms". But through it all, I actually received a very nice answer. Ordered the simply black dress. Will break out Mom's old pearls and chandelier earrings. Going to look for season end dressy sandals and clutch. Thanks to those who offered constructive opinions.

:eek: I am the OP of this hot topic. Kinda sorry I opened this "can of worms". But through it all, I actually received a very nice answer. Ordered the simply black dress. Will break out Mom's old pearls and chandelier earrings. Going to look for season end dressy sandals and clutch. Thanks to those who offered constructive opinions.

Perfect. You'll look great! Enjoy your cruise. :D

ps Might want to take along some kind of wrap if you tend to be cool in a/c I'm usually hot, but find myself pretty cool in the restaurants and show lounges. Check out sales wherever they sold prom dresses last month. All the wraps are half off now. I have 3 sheer ones in different colors and they really can change the look of an outfit.;)

:confused: DH is FINALLY taking me on a cruise to the Caribbean in October. I've been reading all sorts of pre-cruise info.(glad to find this site!) Honestly though, my lifestyle has made formal clothing a thing of the past. So, if need be, I'll purchase a basic "that will do" dress. I've actually found several at not too bad a price at Travelsmith. BUT,they are certainly not "formal". More of the basic black knee length dress; reverses to a print.. Will this, with a pair of sandals do?

Formal night is optional in the respect if you don't want to dress up just have dinner in some venue other than the main dining room...

I really don't understand for a "formal" night why one cannot goto Kohl's and buy a pair of dockers and a tie or for woman a little black dress? I understand the packing issue about bringing a suit but dockers are easy to pack and a tie takes up no room as well. I think wearing jeans on a "formal" night is rather rude since many others will take the time to atleast wear slacks and a dress shirt or a cocktail dress for women.

Cheers

Howie

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindrid viewpost.gif

Not sure where this poster gets off but a cocktail dress is plenty appropriate on Princess and in their dining rooms

Which is exactly what Rugrats said.

"...where this poster gets off"? :rolleyes: ahem

Thank you. You, as usual are correct. Apparently, reading comprehension is alive and well in some parts of the United States.

Ok I'm a first time cruiser. I am going to Alaska on the Princess Golden in May 2010. I don't want to upset anyone on the formal nights so I hope there are other places for me to eat, are there? I understand that I can order room service. I will be in a suite (VS), is the room service menu for full meals (can I get a steak) or just snacks? The two-specialty restaurant - Sabatini's and Crown Grill, are they formal on formal nights or can I eat there "dress casual"?

Perfect. You'll look great! Enjoy your cruise. :D

ps Might want to take along some kind of wrap if you tend to be cool in a/c I'm usually hot, but find myself pretty cool in the restaurants and show lounges. Check out sales wherever they sold prom dresses last month. All the wraps are half off now. I have 3 sheer ones in different colors and they really can change the look of an outfit.;)

Thanks for the constructive p.s. I'll start looking now. Won't be long till the winter coats show up on the shelves. ICK. I plan on a memorable/stress free vacation.

Ok I'm a first time cruiser. I am going to Alaska on the Princess Golden in May 2010. I don't want to upset anyone on the formal nights so I hope there are other places for me to eat, are there? I understand that I can order room service. I will be in a suite (VS), is the room service menu for full meals (can I get a steak) or just snacks? The two-specialty restaurant - Sabatini's and Crown Grill, are they formal on formal nights or can I eat there "dress casual"?

You can eat in the MDR on any night. Most pax could care less what you wear as long as it is neat, clean and presentable. You don't have to dress up like a penguin. For men, a pair of nice pants, long sleeved dress shirt and maybe a blazer will be fine on formal night. Ties are not required. Other nights a pair of khaki pants or jeans and a polo shirt or similar nice shirt will do nicely. Don't miss dining in the MDR just because others on CC would have you convinced that you cannot go into the MDR unless dressed to kill.

Personally I do not own a suit much less tux. I do wear a blue blazer most of the time on formal nights but not always. I never wear a tie. Dark colored dockers work fine on formal night and khaki pants or jeans on casual nights. I have never had a problem with the MDR staff or my fellow pax.

Immediately after dinner, I am back in my shorts, tshirt and tevas. On the Alaska cruise I wore jeans, long sleeved shirt and athletic shoes because it was colder both outside and inside on the ship. BTW I wear real shorts, not those ones that look like pants on a growing teenage boy that are too short.

I really don't understand for a "formal" night why one cannot goto Kohl's and buy a pair of dockers and a tie or for woman a little black dress? I understand the packing issue about bringing a suit but dockers are easy to pack and a tie takes up no room as well. I think wearing jeans on a "formal" night is rather rude since many others will take the time to atleast wear slacks and a dress shirt or a cocktail dress for women.

Cheers

Howie

Because Dockers are no where near formal! That is what you would wear on a casual night. Formal is formal, dark suit or tux.

Because Dockers are no where near formal! That is what you would wear on a casual night. Formal is formal, dark suit or tux.

I agree with you but in this age of problems with the amount of luggage you can carry on planes it can be hard to carry a suit for some. A collared shirt and tie with Khaki's is a heck of a lot better then what some on here have mentioned. Personally i will be wearing a suit for the formal nights on RCCL over the summer but I can understand the packing problem for some.

Cheers

Howie

You missed the point, househunter. Stockmanjr was just saying that AT LEAST go out and get a pair of pants (other than jeans), dress shirt and tie if planning to go "formal" in the dining room. Of course it isn't formal. BUt would be more appropriate than jeans and a tshirt.. for those that think they just can't see "dressing up" for dinner and taking off the jeans for a couple hours.

I too don't see what the big deal is. Dress codes are guidelines. If everyone worked with them instead of fighting the policies on the ship they choose, we wouldn't hear about "uppity" people versus "casual" people. Do the research, and choose the ship that fits your lifestyle. Don't pick a ship and then b%$#@ about the guidelines, rules and policies. We see enough of that re smoking and nonsmoking areas and "smuggling" liquor on board.

You missed the point, househunter. Stockmanjr was just saying that AT LEAST go out and get a pair of pants (other than jeans), dress shirt and tie if planning to go "formal" in the dining room. Of course it isn't formal. BUt would be more appropriate than jeans and a tshirt.. for those that think they just can't see "dressing up" for dinner and taking off the jeans for a couple hours.

I too don't see what the big deal is. Dress codes are guidelines. If everyone worked with them instead of fighting the policies on the ship they choose, we wouldn't hear about "uppity" people versus "casual" people. Do the research, and choose the ship that fits your lifestyle. Don't pick a ship and then b%$#@ about the guidelines, rules and policies. We see enough of that re smoking and nonsmoking areas and "smuggling" liquor on board.

Thanks that was exactly my point! It still baffles me how getting somewhat dressed up is hard for people these days.

Cheers

Howie

I was on an Alaska cruise with Princess last year and will be going again this year. While I love to dress up, my husband does not and we did not want to buy him a suit that he wouldn't wear. I was very concerned after reading the posts here that we would be cast out of the dining room if he came in nice slacks and a button down shirt but found out that was not a problem. In my opinion, he was very nicely dressed without a tie or suit coat.

Alaska is casual and you will see much more casual dressing there. For our cruise to Mexico next year, he will be renting a tux but for Alaska slacks (including Dockers) and a button shirt is fine from what I saw last year.

Whatever you do, don't skip formal night. You will regret it if you do, and it is a lot of fun to "gussy up" and have a great dinner and get your picture taken.

Men's slacks don't take up that much packing room, nor does one dress shirt and tie for both nights. Slinky dresses don't take that much room, either. I expect three formal nights on the Dream/Med and can't wait.!!!:D

Thanks for the constructive p.s. I'll start looking now. Won't be long till the winter coats show up on the shelves. ICK. I plan on a memorable/stress free vacation.

Hi Mizona! Yes - the restaurants are cold. Made the mistake on my Alaska cruise to wear a "thin" top to dinner - froze to death! We need to go shopping at TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross/Kohl's, etc. for our wraps!

On our first cruise my son and (ex)husband were all worried about formal night and whether or not they would be dressed up enough and how uncomfortable they would be, etc. I said that they should do it the first night and if they didn't want to after that they could eat at the buffet the second formal night.

Long story short, they said, "that wasn't so bad" immediately afterward and then decided later that it was a lot of fun to dress nicely and see everyone else dressed nicely and after that it was a given that we all participated.

Archived