Checking the vacancies within 30 days?

Bruin Steve

No such a thing as a FREE meal.....bet you I get lumbered with the taxes......just a joke.

Brian

:D

I would gladly pay the taxes for a FREE OS !!!

Good luck with the challenge

Lyn

I love Oceania and the Oceania experience - I just wish they would start some unique itineraries. We did the Black Sea cruise with them last year and what was supposed to be Libya the year before - got swiched to the Italy coast, through no fault of Oceania's. We were excited when the new itineraries were released, but disappointed when we realized there was still no Iceland - had to book Azamara to get that one - how about a similar itinerary Mr. Delrio? Copenhagen to Geiranger, Norway to Shetland Islands to Faroe Island to three ports in Iceland to Scrabster, Scotland and back to Copenhagen. If Oceania had something like that, I would book it in a minute (and you would not even need to throw in a free owners suite - I would even pay).

I'll play...just for the fun of it...

I can think of lots of cool itineraries...

Of course, many of them already exist...

And, we're limited by the fact that some places we'd like to go don't have the facilities to accommodate a cruise ship...

...and also limited by time constraints, ie I'd love to visit Rio, Hong Kong and Casablanca...just not going to be able to fit it all into one cruise without science fiction special effects travel...

So, let's start with a reasonable, simple Mediterranean itinerary that seems like it MAY work:

1 Venice--Start here because it's the coolest "sailaway" ever

2 Korcula--never been there...most people haven't...part of a theme here.

3 Kotor--I have been here...on the Nautica...but most people haven't...it's a great, unspoiled port...got to include it here since it's on the way...

4 Sarande, Albania--Albania! How many have actually been here? Got to go...

5 at sea--time for a relaxation day...

6 Itea--No, not the Swedish furniture store, it's a cool place in Greece that's not the usual Athens, Mykonos or Santorini...

7 Monemvasia--See Itea

8 at sea--need time to pull around back to the other side of Italy

9 Amalfi...Been here a lot...but everyone loves it...and I'm working my way north...

10 La Spezia (Cinque Terre)...Been to Livorno enough...this is a smaller cool alternative.

11 Sete--I've been to Carcassonne...but most people haven't...too cool...

12 at sea--another day to rest up...

13 Bonifacio (Corsica)...Never been, would like to stop on this island at least once...

14 Olbia/Porto Cervo (Sardinia) ...See Bonifacio...

15 Rome...Need to end up in a big city with an airport with international flights...and why not Rome? Great place for a "post-cruise" multi-day stay

Simple...let's call it the "lots of ports most people haven't seen cruise"...Of course, the folks in the corporate office will come up with a name like "Hideaways of the Mediterranean" or "Pearls of History" or "Gems of Antiquity of Roman Empire Revelations of the Ancient World"...

I would probably go...

Of course, I would probably go on lots of the new itineraries that already include many of these ports....if I had the time and money...and, of course, if my wife was agreeable...

Brian, if you want to send that one to Frank for a free OS, you have my permission...

Dear FDR,

Now you have opened the Pandora's box - there is no going back now!

Here is an itinerary I would jump on:

London (preferably from Tower Bridge)-the Azores-Madeira-Casablanca-Dakar-Gambia-Sierra Leone-Ivory Coast-Nigeria-Cameroon-Gabon-Angola-Saint Helena-Namibia-Cape Town (feel free to add any other W. African stop). Then continue on the east coast of Africa to get back to London (with new stops in the Med - including Steve's Korcula, adding Hvar, etc).

Or how about this one:

Sydney-New Caledonia-Vanuatu-Fiji-Samoa-Solomon Isl- Papua New Guinea-Palau-Brunei-Philippines-Guam-Tokyo (or variations on this theme).

Now there are some NEW itineraries! I bet you would have no trouble filling the ship as people can only do so many Med/Baltic/S.America cruises IMO.

You have seen how any new itinerary (like the British Isles) sold like hot cakes.

I know I am dreaming, but why not?

Well certainly some interesting ideas put forward.

Paulchilli - I personally am not that interested in the African Coast and doubt that the time constraints of say a 14 day trip would make that possible from London.

The very first Port that came to mind, based upon a Med Itinerary, was Lisbon. I have visited mosty European Capitals but never been there. Yes I know that Lisbon is not in the Med but it would make a great starting point. Palma Mallorca is a fabulous City and we go there frequently for weekends and there is much to see and do and The Old Town is great too.

I also think that it should include a few old favorites so I would end either in Civitavecchia or Venice. Its the bits inbetween that I want to think about. Interestingly the one place I would exclude is Monte Carlo. I hate it !! Our last 2 cruises have included it and the first thing we do is head for the Station to get out of town.

Bonifacio has little to offer other than a spectacular entrance. Nautica moored at Sea facing formidable Cliffs and it was not until the tenders moved around them that the entrance to a very small sailing harbour was revealed. A few shops and cafes and a trip to the clifftop was all.

So these are my immediate thoughts but I will take " on board " any suggestions you may have and the reasons.

Let me also add that for me this is an interesting excercise and nothing is expected from FDR in return.

Brian

Brian

As long as we're playing, may I join in?

No specific ports, but how about a cruise with several (all, even) overnights - two full days in port. . . . . We did S.E. Asia on the Nautica and had, I believe, three overnights - it was wonderful - there are so many ports that are a distance from the actual cities you want to see, or there is so much to see that a "dry-cleaner" stop (in by 9 out by 5) is just not enough! Oceania has more of these than most - but wouldn't mind more!

Fran

We were on the O Istanbul to Venice cruise last year, the AKL to SYD cruise this year, and we are booked on the 24 day Bangkok to Beijing cruise March 2010. We had an A-1 cabin for the first 2 cruises- and I loved having the balcony. We only have a window stateroom for the Asian cruise,( but maybe with that intinerary, a balcony isn't as important) I am really excited to visit all those ports in Asia (where I have never been). but I am disappointed that the cruise does not include Singapore.

We have also enjoyed several Regent cruises, including the PG, and I would especially like it if O initiated an itinerary that included Tahitian islands.

I also liked Paulchili suggestion for Sydney, New Caledonia, etc itineraries.

Yes, I do love to cruise, and I am so lucky I can afford (so far) at least 1 cruise per year, and O is my favorite - small ship, attentive staff, very limited smoking, no formal nights, good food, congenial and friendly fellow passengers, and the opportunity to meet them with the open dining policy.

Kathy

Well certainly some interesting ideas put forward.

Paulchilli - I personally am not that interested in the African Coast and doubt that the time constraints of say a 14 day trip would make that possible from London.

Brian

Brian,

Nobody said it had to be 14 days. Many people do B2B 14 day cruises (i.e 28 days, or more); Singapore to Athens is 24 days - some people are on that cruise before Singapore, others stay after Athens. O can spare one of its ships for an occasional longer journey - as long as we are trying to come up with new ideas.

You may not be interested in Africa, but others might be:rolleyes:

Amazing that FDR can say that the recession seems to be over.....tell that to the Employees at General Motors amongst others.

Brian

I think that there's a segment of our socio/economic strata that is still very hard hit, and that once their unemployment runs out, will be hurting even more, but I doubt that they were ever customers of "premium/luxury" cruises lines such as O and Regent in the first place.

How about a cruise to beautiful unspoilt Islands. You can call it " Calling Paradise.".

They should inlude the Fiji Islands, Cook Islands Tahiti Islands, Samoa Islands and Tonga Islands. The start should be Sidney, and the End Los Angeles.

It could be a longer cruise to unwind and renew.

Monika

Steve and I are friends and he knows I was joking, just like I knew that he didn't really make dummy bookings, because you really can't!

As an FYI, Steve's sailing onboard Nautica is currently 82% sold. For some reason, its by far the worst performing sailing in our Med/Greek Isles line up this year. All Nautica sailings after his, beginning with the July 11th Istanbul to Athens cruise are over 100% sold. Similarly on Insignia, all Europe sailings are over 100% sold except the June 12th departure which is only 87% sold. Given the state of the overall economy during the last 12 months, we are very pleased with these results. Similarly, our other brand Regent Seven Seas, is also experiencing sold out sailings in Europe and in Alaska this summer. In fact, about 3 months ago, when we still had available inventory for Alaska, I invited all my family and closest friends (about 22 cabins) to join us on a Regent Alaska cruise. As our original sail date sold out, we move to another date, then another date. Finally after 3 tries, I had to give up and cancel the F&F cruise because EVERYTHING sold out, and to tell you the truth, I couldn't be happier!!

I've always believed that economist and governments should study the tourism industry and the cruise industry in particular (because of our advanced booking patterns), as a leading economic indicator. We feel the effects of a downturn first, and we feel the effects of a recovery first. Based on the year to date results of advanced booking for second half of 2009 and 2010 sailings for both Oceania and Regent, I can confidently tell you that the worst of the GREAT RECESION is OVER.

The discounts that we are currently offering on both brands for 2010 sailings are the best we've ever offered. And quite frankly, given the very strong sales, the discounts are too rich and I wish I could take them back. But a deal is a deal, and we've comitted to keeping the current offers valid thorugh August 31 for Oceania and through September 30 for Regent.

I know some might think its self serving, but if you are thinking about taking a 2010 cruise aboard either line, NOW is the time to make the booking before prices go up upon the offers expiry.

Steve, I hope you enjoy yourself aboard Nautica. Drop me a line and let me know your thoughts upon your return.

All the best

FDR

Frank - since you are commenting on bookings, how is the Insignia South America season shaping up? We are booked on the holiday sailing for the second year in a row with friends (including some we just made last Christmas going around the Horn on Insignia. What a GREAT trip that was!)

Thanks!

Archived