Smuggling Cubans onboard

Cushing985

Just do it. No Worries!!! (As long as it is not like 40-50)

Think it depends on what port you're coming back to. Since it's Canada, you should have no problems. I bring a couple of Cubans back every time, but a whole box, they might think you're going to sell them. I was advised in Spain to never bring Cubans back through Miami. Just what I was told.

Elena:cool:

Several years ago my friend got about $800 in cuban cigars from Nova Scotia on the Triumph through New York no problem. We asked my cousin the lawyer and he said the most they do to you is take them away and have you sign something that says you will never do it again and be on file with them.

Several years ago my friend got about $800 in cuban cigars from Nova Scotia on the Triumph through New York no problem. We asked my cousin the lawyer and he said the most they do to you is take them away and have you sign something that says you will never do it again and be on file with them.

See that's what I thought they did, just take them away from you. When we last cruised 13 years ago :eek: We brought home a box of them for our best man, and I distincly remember them saying that if we are caught with them, all we'll do is throw them out.

We are heading up to Canada on the 7th on the beautiful Splendor. One of the guys at work asked if I could smuggle a box of Cubans (cigars not people!). Anyone out there who has tried this?

Getting them on the ship is not the problem. Off is another matter. One the Cubans are illegal and two there is a limit on the number of cigars that you can bring back.

If you are caught they are confiscated and the fine is pretty hefty. IMO he should wait because within a year I think we are going to be traveling to Cuba and the cigars will be legal. (It might take two years, but it is coming.)

For years we didn't have a Krispy Cream donut store in the area. Whenever anyone would travel to a place that had one, they'd scarf them up like they were gold.

One day a store opened up locally and for the first week they had to have police there directing traffic, it was so busy.

Now it's just another donut shop.

Get the analogy?

So I have a question about smuggling things onto the ship. Not just cigars, but anything; and I'm asking the question here because I'm too lazy to start a new thread about smuggling. :D

When I cruised in March, I bought a letter opener in Cozumel. It is 6 inches long, an inch wide, and shaped like a miniature sword. It really does not look like a letter opener, and is too thick to be wielded as a weapon. (although I supposed someone really strong could use enough force to penetrate skin) It was wrapped in newspaper several layers thick, taped over, and was nestled in among other items in my rolling bag, including several items of clothes I had purchased.

Imagine my surprise when the cruise staff member who was checking me in after my bag went through the x-ray machine, stopped me briefly and told me to be sure to keep the letter opener wrapped in the paper for the duration of the cruise. I felt my eyebrows pop up! I was shocked that he could SEE that much detail! (don't laugh at me - I have never actually seen what an x-ray machine sees, except on t.v. and I thought those pics were enhanced for us viewers, lol)

I was also shocked that he considered the item dangerous enough to need to tell me to keep it wrapped up. I was all "yes, sir, of course, sir" when it happened (because I'm skeered of getting into trouble with anyone in authority!) But later when I thought about it, I had to laugh, because, well, what was to stop me from unwrapping it and using it as a weapon once I got on the ship? I think if he thought it was dangerous enough to tell me to keep it wrapped up, then it was dangerous enough to confiscate, right?

Oh well, I'm glad he trusted me enough to let me keep it. And yes I DID keep it wrapped up until I got home to North Texas! :D

Sooo, the question is, how does anyone smuggle ANYTHING onto these ships??? I mean, if they can see a small little letter opener wrapped in newspaper several layers thick, and nestled among clothes and other nicknacks, then they can see EVERYTHING folks are trying to smuggle in. Such as cigars or multiple liquor bottles layered in the middle of clothes in a suitcase. Right?

So, either they are turning a blind eye to some items, or they are not actually x-raying everything?

Sooo, the question is, how does anyone smuggle ANYTHING onto these ships??? I mean, if they can see a small little letter opener wrapped in newspaper several layers thick, and nestled among clothes and other nicknacks, then they can see EVERYTHING folks are trying to smuggle in. Such as cigars or multiple liquor bottles layered in the middle of clothes in a suitcase. Right?

So, either they are turning a blind eye to some items, or they are not actually x-raying everything?

They don't care about cigars being smuggled on ship. Carry them right on no problem. The problem lies with getting the cigars off the ship and through customs. I'm sure they are turning their eye to some. Usually they make you put your purchased liquor on the table and mark it so you get it back at the end of the cruise. Now if you started the cruise and put it in the checked luggage you should get it no problem in your room.

Archived