Rhodes vs. Santorini

We already booked a cruise for May 2010, but we are thinking about switching dates, still on the same ship. In fact the new dates are almost the same cruise ports, but in reverse as our original booking, with one notable exception: If we elect to make the change, it will be Rhodes instead of Santorini. Will be be missing out on something major if we make this switch or is it pretty much more of the same? My reason for wanting to switch is the new dates would afford me a better job situation next summer, so it would be good, but not critical to make the change.

Well, about the only thing Rhodes and Santorini have in common is that they are both Greek Islands. Rhodes is a larger island with excellent beaches, clean water, a nice old Old Town (where the ships dock) and some interesting ruins at Lindos. Rhodes is a very popular sea resort for Brits and other Europeans because it is blessed with nice sandy beaches and clean water. As to Santorini, it is arguably one of the most beautiful places in the world. Although we enjoy both islands, if you have never been to Santorini and you love breathtaking views, than it would be a shame to miss this port. Having said all this, if going to Rhodes helps you with other issues than keep in mind that there can always be other cruises.

Hank

I agree with everything Hank says. One other thing to consider: Santorini, although beautiful, is not made for crowds. There are sites you can check to find out what other ships are in port on the same day as you. If there are 3 other huge ships in port, it will be difficult to get around and crowded, so you may actually have a better day in Rhodes....

My Husband and I are doing a road trip through Turkey and taking a Ferry to Rhodes instead of Santorini. We picked Rhodes because of its history, beaches and cleaner island. Plus it will not be as crowded as Santorini. We are not beach people to spend a whole day on a beach. We love the history aspect of place. Santorni is suppose to beautiful and all beaches and very crowded if you get more then one ship in port at a time. You can contact me at Dicrepe2@aol.com if you have any questions. Good Luck..

I am going to agree and disagree with the last post. Santorini can indeed get crowded (especially if there is more than one cruise ship) but a majority of the tourists simply crowd the streets of Fira and ignore the rest of the island. Oia is always charming, the various wineries are interesting, and we have never had much crowding on Santorini beaches since very few cruise ship passengers go to the beachs (they are far from the main town of Fira). Rhodes, on the other hand, is considered a major beach destination (we also like Rhodes) and some of their beaches are lined with hotels and venders. In fact, the first time we ever saw bungee jumping was on a beach of Rhodes where they had a very large construction crane (on the beach) that picked-up the jumpers and than swung them out over the sea (talk about touristy). As to history, both islands have more than their share of history. The only sad thing (regarding history) is that the ruins of Akritori (Santorini) remain closed to the public due to a simple construction project that has taken on its own history (how can a 1 year project take more than 5).

Hank

I love both islands, however for different reasons. The history of Rhodes is unlike that of Santorini. It reminds me of Malta. Santorini is simply a spectacularly beautiful island. Rhodes is wonderful, but more historic. We have seen Akrotiri and the wineries. I have never been to the beach in either place so I cannot comment on that. I don't think you will have a bad day no matter which choice you make.

Karen

• 2 months later...

I have been on 2 med cruises and Santorini is still my favorite port. It is just so charming and magical and gives you the feeling of being immersed in the Greek lifestyle. When you wake up in port that morning and look out your window it is a sight unlike anything you have ever seen. I cannot wait to go back and will be doing so on the same May 29th sailing that you are booked on (if you don't change your mind) BTW while I live in Mississippi now I am from Tennessee and am traveling with several others from there. My Dad is also a professor (retired now) and he is with us. Most in this party are from Memphis, my husband and I moved from Knoxville. Just wondering where in Tennesse you are from. Great to know there will be more Southern folks on board. Vols fan by any chance??? You can email me directly at cindy.word@comcast.net and I can tell you what we did in Santorini etc. Hope you don't jump ship!

Archived