"LIVE" from Norwegian SPIRIT / June 5, 2009

Radio

Dear Radio,

Thank you so much for doing this! We are sailing on the Spirit 7/3 out of Boston and are SOOO excited! This is making it better! my 2 1/2 yr old daughter loves looking at the pics- "that's my boat if I'm a good girl!" Yeah, starting her early on cruising! Never been 2 Bermuda, so any info on the easiest way to get around and good places to visit would be great!

Hope the weather stays nice for you!!

Looking forward to more posts & pics!!

Kristin (& Emma!)

From our trip on the Spirit 5/22-5/29, if you sit at a table at Shogun, other than the Teppanyaki table or the sushi bar itself, you can order both sushi and Chinese and other cooked Asian food. You might mention up front that's what you're planning to do. If you sit at Teppanyaki all you can order is Teppanyaki and if you sit at the actual sushi bar they encourage you to stick to ordering sushi.

dh of Gettingtoyes

Thank you so much! This is great to know...DH can still enjoy the reportedly awesome sushi!!!

Hi Radio!

Your pictures and posts are wonderful as always! Thanks So much for sharing. Will you be docked along w/ the EOS after the lights are on this evening? If so, and you get a chance can you get a shot of the EOS after dark? I'd love to have that as my wallpaper to view everyday till we cruise her in the fall. Once again..thanks for taking the time to let us all "cruise along with you".

:);)

Helo Radio,

we are sailing on the Spirit October the 23/2009 and we are so excited we love you daily coments and the pictures are so nice, we can hardly wait for our cruise what a beautiful ship. Thanks so much for your daily reports.

Monika:D:D

From our trip on the Spirit 5/22-5/29, if you sit at a table at Shogun, other than the Teppanyaki table or the sushi bar itself, you can order both sushi and Chinese and other cooked Asian food. You might mention up front that's what you're planning to do. If you sit at Teppanyaki all you can order is Teppanyaki and if you sit at the actual sushi bar they encourage you to stick to ordering sushi.

dh of Gettingtoyes

And do you just pay the one charge? Aww man...I would have tried this on the Dawn in May if I'd only know. We did see a table of officers that ate from both menus....but it didn't dawn on me that we could do the same.....

I see a few of you are going on the repo with me. Come join our roll call.Spirit Oct 23/09 Boston to NOLA - Cruise Critic Message Boards I think we are all ages. BTW DiviAruba,do you go to Aruba often? That is a favorite of mine.

We normally go 3 times a year, but this year I decided to cut it down to twice, but then I go and book the Spirit! I decided to book Aruba twice, but stay longer, then I book a 16 night cruise with 2 extra nights in NOLA :eek: We always go to Aruba for New Year's (my favorite time of year there) and in March, and normally also in the fall---well we'll be there one day. We'll be there on a Sunday so nothing will be open which is OK, we will head off to our normal hotel and see all the bartenders we know.

Hello everyone. . . The weather worked out to be very nice today,. There was a brief period of showers this afternoon (about 20 min), but the rest of the day was sunny and warm.

We had a few clouds here and there, but the sunny skies were welcome. (Your intrepid reporter however received a nasty sunburn . . . . Oooops)

I started off going over to St Georges. By Scooter it was about a 1 hour drive.

**A note on the Scooters** I would highly recommend that you reserve your scooter in advance, When I picked my Scooter up yesterday. . . There were 2 lines for renting. One line was for walk-in’s, and one line for reservations. If you go when it is not busy, then it won’t matter. When I was there yesterday, there might have been 12 walk-in’s, and I was able to walk up with no wait. (There is also a discount when you reserve on-line at Oleanders)

When I went over to St Georges, there were several Tall Ships that were available for on board tours. This is part of the Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge. I was able to see Belle Poole(FR), The Etoile (FR), and the Pride of Baltimore II (US).

Most of the Ships will arrive later this week; so Spirit cruisers next week will have a lot to see. The Sprit of Bermuda arrived yesterday.

I then went over to the Swizzle Inn, to try the much talked about Rum Swizzle. (It is said to be Bermuda’s National Drink)

Inside the Sizzle Inn, on the menu it says that Bob Hope was there, and proclaimed “Ah, the Rum Swizzle. They not only serve it to tourists, they also use it whenever there’s a shortage of airplane fuel”

I made it over to Flatts Village, where the Bermuda National Aquarium, Museum, and Zoo are located. The Aquarium was placed on the site of the Original Bermuda Railway main station.

The Aquariium/Zoo is still a bargain. . . It might be one of the best bargains in Bermuda ($10.00 admission, $5.00 for seniors and kids over 5)

I then made it over to Hamilton, where it was rush hour and very busy. I wanted to take the Sea Express Ferry back to the Dockyard. ($4 for me/ $4 for the Scooter). It was worth it, because the sunburn I received was taking it’s toll. . .

It was a great day, and I can’t wait to do it again. . .My plan for tomorrow is the southside beaches. Did I say how much I love Bermuda?

Here are just a few pics today. . . I have to get over to Destination Dockyard. I will post many more pics later tonight.

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

John Smiths Bay Park

P7.JPG

The Pride of Baltimore II, in St Georges, Bermuda

P11.JPG

Flatts Village

R2.JPG

Flatts Village

R14.JPG

Bermuda National Zoo Flamingos

R10.JPG

Norwegian Spirit in another Beautiful day in Bermuda

R20.JPG

Your reports are absolutely fabulous.........and have me so completely TORN as to what to do. We are planning a Bermuda cruise in August for our 15th Anniversary and had decided on the Explorer of the Seas 5 night (we just did the Dawn in May and while she was nice...we are thinking the EoS might off more).....but after reading all about the Spirit, I am extremely tempted to take her from Boston to Bermuda on the 7 night. For me, it would be mostly about the extra day in Beautiful Bermuda....but somehow the Spirit is coming across nicer than the Dawn in your posts........

Anyway...it's a cruise for our 15th Anniversary........so.......what's your advice..Spirit? or the EoS?

Thanks again Radio.

:) A special request to all CC moms on board this week with our Intrepid Reporter...the Fabulous Mr. Radio:

Please grab your cans of SPF 78's and spray our Fab Master Tour Guy so he doesn't get any more sunburned than he already is! :o

Mrs. Radio (and her DH!) will be so appreciative...and so will the rest of us land-locked followers who are living vicariously through Radio's amazing updates!

Thank you!

:D

Hi!!!

FANTASTIC photos that you took of Bermuda!!!

You certainly are bringing more cruisers to the island!

Now, I don't know if you are aware of this but I hope you'll do this ... can you take pictures for us islanders?

You (Spirit) leave the dock at 6 AM on Wednesday morning and Dawn arrives at the same dock at 8 AM the same morning. I'll be very interested about the point where both ships pass each other and if either will sound their horn when passing. I'm asking because I have noticed that you are an early raiser!

When we were on Hurtigruten ship in Norway we passed other Hurtigruten ship twice daily and both ships sounded their horn when passing e/o - I loved it and I was able to take picture of all the 11 Hurtigruten ships. (11 day round trip voyage and there are 11 ships - one ship per day and we passed each ship twice during the voyage)

ENJOY the rest of your stay in Bermuda.

BTW, we had expected to see more of the Tall Ships here by now but they are late in arriving. There had been NO ( or too little) wind for them during the Atlantic leg of the race and it was decided to "finish" the race last Tues at 11 AM and all ships had to give in their position so they could determine the winner of the leg. After that "finish" the ships use their motor power to come into Bermuda in time for the Tall Ship Festival that kinda of begin on Wed this week.

lobsta1 - 9/4 is the Spirit cruise we'll be on also! There's a roll call post for this date as well. Radio's pictures are getting us even more excited!

We are on 9/4 also and love all the updates we have been reading from the recent cruisers on the Spirit... She is a welcome addition to us here in Boston... The Magesty just didn't have what the Spirit has. Keep up the reports Radio. We were on the Gem right after you this winter and you were so informative.;)

Ann and Bernie

Hi!!!

FANTASTIC photos that you took of Bermuda!!!

You certainly are bringing more cruisers to the island!

Now, I don't know if you are aware of this but I hope you'll do this ... can you take pictures for us islanders?

You (Spirit) leave the dock at 6 AM on Wednesday morning and Dawn arrives at the same dock at 8 AM the same morning. I'll be very interested about the point where both ships pass each other and if either will sound their horn when passing. I'm asking because I have noticed that you are an early raiser!

When we were on Hurtigruten ship in Norway we passed other Hurtigruten ship twice daily and both ships sounded their horn when passing e/o - I loved it and I was able to take picture of all the 11 Hurtigruten ships. (11 day round trip voyage and there are 11 ships - one ship per day and we passed each ship twice during the voyage)

ENJOY the rest of your stay in Bermuda.

BTW, we had expected to see more of the Tall Ships here by now but they are late in arriving. There had been NO ( or too little) wind for them during the Atlantic leg of the race and it was decided to "finish" the race last Tues at 11 AM and all ships had to give in their position so they could determine the winner of the leg. After that "finish" the ships use their motor power to come into Bermuda in time for the Tall Ship Festival that kinda of begin on Wed this week.

Yes, I spoke with the crew of the Pride of Batimore II, and it took them 6 days to arrive here from Jacksonville, FL. They didn't have enough wind for several days, so they had to use power.

They were not part of the race. Those in the race are coming from Tenerife, Spain.

My plan is to get some pics of the Dawn/Spirit pass. . .

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Radio

We are booked for the May 7, 2010 cruise. Have you ever been to the port where the ncl leaves out of boston. I see you are from CT are you far from the port. Do you stay over the night before?

We are about 2hrs. from the port in Boston. This will be our first time leaving out of Boston, but plan on driving in the morning of the cruise. We just got off a 13 night on Explorer of the Seas in May. I loved that ship and it's so nice to see Radio post the picts. of her.:)

Radio- you've done it again! You take the best pictures!! I love the Spirit, too. We were going to go to Bermuda this August but for a number of reasons are taking a Carnival cruise instead. I've been on the Spirit three times- she's my absolute favorite. Gorgeous ship.

Keep 'em coming! And I hope you have more sun and a smooth trip home!

Here are a few more pics from today. . . .

Radio

On the deck of the Pride of Baltimore II, at Pennos Wharf West in Bermuda

P10.JPG

Norwegian Dream and Explorer of the Seas from the Ferry

U26.jpg

Dockyard Tram

U5.JPG

The Tivoli Pool was packed this afternoon (Deck 12)

U18.JPG

Buccaneer’s Wet and Wild (Deck 10 AFT)

U31.JPG

Norwegian Spirit from the Dockyard

U7.JPG

A special request to all CC moms on board this week with our Intrepid Reporter...the Fabulous Mr. Radio:

Please grab your cans of SPF 78's and spray our Fab Master Tour Guy so he doesn't get any more sunburned than he already is!

Mrs. Radio (and her DH!) will be so appreciative...and so will the rest of us land-locked followers who are living vicariously through Radio's amazing updates!

Thank you!

Ha ha ha. . .;) I purchased some Coppertone Sunburn Spray last night at

the Pheonix Drug Store here at the Dockyard. . .:o

Radio

Good Morning Radio. Thanks for the informative and entertaining tour. I am on the 6/19 sailing aboard the Spirit and you are helping me to pass the time while patiently waiting for my cruise.

I am in a balcony cabin, port side, deck 11 for my cruise. It appears from your photos that I will be looking at the Dockyard, is this correct?

Is the kids area open to adults? Looks like that is the quiet pool on this ship.

Keep your posts coming, so many of us are enjoying them.

Have a Bermudaful Day!!!

Hello everyone . . . Welcome to Day 3 in Bermuda aboard Norwegian Spirit. I would like to stay here for a few more days. Maybe I’ll just have to come back !

Destination Dockyard was a big hit last night.

Last night was the first event, and it is scheduled for every Monday night until August 10. There were about 40 vendors set up.Most of the shops were open late, and RCI provided their CD, and entertainment from

the ship.

I spoke to Bermuda’s Finest last night, and they estimated about 2500 people were in attendance.

Norwegian Spirit had the Super Spirit Bermuda Deck Party (Late) up on the pool deck. There was a lot of passengers in attendance and great live music (Modal Magic, and Flex)

The weather forecast for today is Sunny breaks, increasing rain or showers, chance of thunder showers. We will just play it by ear and hope for the best. I am trying to get over to the Southside Beaches today.

Tonight is the White Hot Party up in the Galaxy of the Stars Lounge.

Here are a few more pics from yesterday. . .

Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

Harrington Sound

U42.JPG

Downtown Hamilton

U43.JPG

Destination Dockyard Entertainer

MP4.JPG

Gombey Dancers were performing

MP5.JPG

Bermuda Deck Party

MP6.JPG

The Music was great !

MP7.JPG

Good Morning Radio. Thanks for the informative and entertaining tour. I am on the 6/19 sailing aboard the Spirit and you are helping me to pass the time while patiently waiting for my cruise.

I am in a balcony cabin, port side, deck 11 for my cruise. It appears from your photos that I will be looking at the Dockyard, is this correct?

Is the kids area open to adults? Looks like that is the quiet pool on this ship.

Keep your posts coming, so many of us are enjoying them.

Have a Bermudaful Day!!!

You will have a Dockyard view if Spirit docks the same way. I saw a few adults down at the kids pool, but I didn't see them in the water. Thanks for the nice comments !

Radio

Archived