What happens when..

we fly in same day of cruise which is leaving at 1700, and Regent gets us there in the am? What do we do all day? (Or at least those few hours before boarding..)

They take you to a dark corner of the city, drop you off, and tell you to watch your wallet until they come back to get you in 5 hours.

Well, I don't really know, but knowing Regent, they will put you in a day room at a 5 Star hotel, or take you on a city tour, or something else, but don't worry . . . Regent is not known for abandoning passengers. I don't mean to be flippant. . . and can understand your concern, but the best thing to do is to ask your TA or Regent (if you booked directly with them) what happens. They will meet you at the airport and then? Best to ask, on the phone.

Or just use your imagination.... do some research... what do you want do do?

Well, yes, but better to pick up the phone and ask your TA or Regent what they have in mind.. Despite my earlier post they will not drop you in the middle of a resettlement village. Call them, on the phone, not by email.

I have taken a tour with my luggage on the bus; I have been given a hotel to stay at for the day; I've been able to board very early; i have been able to drop luggage and go on a private tour; They will generally provide the transfer with their air if they arranged it. They will find something nice - usually a day roon at a hotel but sometimes a tour. They take care of you - not to worry.

I'm not sure if this is always the case. My first cruise with Regent is in December, starting at Rio. They are providing free flights from London to Rio (and return from Miami to London) which makes for a really great deal.

However, the flight arrives in Rio at 21.20 the night before the cruise. I was offered a transfer from the airport to a hotel and then transfer from the hotel to the port in the morning. The price I was quoted for this amounted to over 15% of the cost of the cruise itself!

This is not a complaint, just an observation that it may not be as straightforward as seems.

I'm perplexed, Mr Mojo. Regent is flying you into Rio the night before the cruise, and are NOT putting you up in a hotel for free? This is called a "forced overnight", and they usually foot the bill for this (perhaps the UK is different.)

(BTW, their pre-cruise packages are usually priced in the stratosphere, this is not unusual, but paid "forced overnight" is.)

Hi Wendy. Certainly when I spoke to Regent here in UK there was no mention of being put up in a hotel for free - perhaps it is different for us over here. I hadn't heard of the term "forced overnight".

Flights from London to Rio (by BA) are only 3 or 4 days per week and so this was the only available flight. Still, given that the cost of the flights if I had to book and pay for them myself would have added about £4000 to the cost of the cruise, I'm just very happy for what I have got.

I have indeed booked my own hotel. Now I need to arrange transfers from Rio airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship next morning.

After a 13 hour flight to Rio we might be asleep before we reach the hotel!

I'm not sure if this is always the case. My first cruise with Regent is in December, starting at Rio. They are providing free flights from London to Rio (and return from Miami to London) which makes for a really great deal.

However, the flight arrives in Rio at 21.20 the night before the cruise. I was offered a transfer from the airport to a hotel and then transfer from the hotel to the port in the morning. The price I was quoted for this amounted to over 15% of the cost of the cruise itself!

This is not a complaint, just an observation that it may not be as straightforward as seems.

Frankly I think that after offering a forced overnight , it is outrageous they don't put you up in a hotel.

Also, there is not such a thing as "free flights". You are entitled to a credit, which can be quite substantial, if you decline their "free" air . Or are you forced in the UK to also take this "free" air?

The deal was free flights. There was certainly no mention of an alternative. I am coming to the conclusion, from answers I have received and from reading this board, that there certainly are differences between the UK and US offer by Regent. Not necessarily worse or better overall, just different. Perhaps there are legal or contractual reasons for this.

Wendy - this may be of use. I have had a company called Rio Airport Transfer recommended to me. Their web address is that name without spaces dot com. I haven't booked yet but I have looked at their website and it seems very promising.

The deal was free flights. There was certainly no mention of an alternative. I am coming to the conclusion, from answers I have received and from reading this board, that there certainly are differences between the UK and US offer by Regent. Not necessarily worse or better overall, just different. Perhaps there are legal or contractual reasons for this.

Mrmojo,

If you look at the US website they also describe it as "Free air" which IMO is deceptive advertising. Nowhere in the website it says (at least that I have seen) that we will get a credit if we don't take their air, but the fact is that when we decline the air we get a credit ($1,000 PP in the case of Europe cruises). In addition, if we take their "free" air, we have to pay additional $200-300 in air taxes PP. So the "free air" has a cost of at least $1,200 PP. Maybe it is different in the UK but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Who kinows, you might do better with the air/ flights if you book them yourself.

Mrmojo, It seems you enjoy doing your booking yourself, but if I were you I would look into a TA who might get you answers and save you money. I can't believe Regent treats UK customers so poorly that they won't put you up on a forced overnight.

Just as an interjection from a TA perspective--hotels and airlines tend to always confuse people with these "free air" promos. Many of the land promos ONLY have an air credit, and it doesn't cover the flight cost or come close. People who are used to cruises where it really is a flight then expect it with a hotel. Anytime "free air" is advertised, I don't care what a website says, I highly recommend a phone call to your travel agent or the supplier, in this case, Regent and ask for the full terms and conditions and all the options. I know on Silversea's site, buried in the fine print is the air credit, but it didn't used to be there, and it is not always accurate. I just always call.

If you have already taken the flights offered, I would still call to discuss the process more thoroughly.

I also agree with MrMojoRisin that things are run differently in the U.K. (even their prices are quite a bit different than the same cruises in the U.S.) Debbie's idea of calling your TA and checking is a good one!

It seems that we all need to learn how Regent's new policies work. The new taxes on the "free" airfare is also new -- we will be paying $600.00 tax on our December, 2010 cruise. Still, it saves money in the long run.

We have relatives in England who have been considering a Regent cruise and are happy that airfare is included under the price they were given as they stated that their airfare is a considerable additional expense. According to them, they have been told it is only airfare that is included under the special and any transfers/hotels needed because of schedules/etc. are their responsibility.

Travelcat, we are also paying air taxes for the first time. Are the taxes of $600.00 including port taxes?

We have relatives in England who have been considering a Regent cruise and are happy that airfare is included under the price they were given as they stated that their airfare is a considerable additional expense. According to them, they have been told it is only airfare that is included under the special and any transfers/hotels needed because of schedules/etc. are their responsibility.

Travelcat, we are also paying air taxes for the first time. Are the taxes of $600.00 including port taxes?

According to Regent, the port taxes are included in the price quoted in their brochures and on the internet. Only air taxes are extra. We upgraded to Business Class which explains our rather high air taxes.

My thanks to all of you who have responded and commented on this thread. I have consulted my travel agent and looked closely at Regent's terms and conditions on both UK and US websites. There are clear differences.

My flights are inclusive of taxes etc and I clearly understood that transfers were not included. There was no mention of hotels so my inference was that the cost of an overnight in a hotel was my responsibility.

The value of the free flights (if I had to book them myself) is well in excess of $1000 per person alternative and the amount I will be paying for transfers and hotel accommodation.

This has been an interesting experience for me, examining these differences in arrangements and, indeed, the differing expectations from opposite sides of the pond.

I am very happy that I have got a very good deal. Funnily enough, although we have two excellent trips planned (to Asturias in Spain and to Sardinia) before this cruise, it is the cruise that dominated our holiday thinking at the moment.

Archived