Alternate itinerary in the event of storms heading toward New England/Canada area

LindaKE

What is the alternate destination if a tropical storm is heading toward the New England / Canada area? It seems that, if should that happen, a storm would block access to go south as well. I know this would be a rare occurance. It just occurred to me to wonder.

It really depends on where the storm is in relation to the departure port on departure day. If the storm is forecast to be near port on that day or the day before, the prior cruise will most likely be extended and the following cruise shortened and itineraries modified. If you are to leave NY on Saturday, and the storm is coming up the coast and is supposed to hit NY on Sunday, the cruise will likely move north quicker, and either drop the New England ports, or do them on the way back at the end of the week if port availability allows.

In the case of the prior couple hurricanes to hit Nova Scotia, they basically came up the open water, not along the eastern coast, so if the timing was correct, the ship would likely head south along the coast while the storm goes by northbound, and maybe sail out to Bermuda or down to the Bahamas. Usually though, it's the cruises that go south in hurricane season that get affected more than the cruises that go to Canada/New England, as the vast majority of storms don't come up that far. My cruise in August to the Bahamas and Grand Turk is a perfect example of one that is more likely to be re-routed to Canada/New England, which we will be okay with. I know that if that happens, there will be no end to the whining on board from people who didn't do any type of research ahead of time.

that's a tough one as ships will try and go around! we were outrunning Wilma (western carib) in 2005. we got to jamaica, subbed in San Juan and i think we got to labadee but i can't remember

should have been Cayman, Coz, Jamaica and Labadee.

i guess my point is that it's a roll of the dice.

What is the alternate destination if a tropical storm is heading toward the New England / Canada area? It seems that, if should that happen, a storm would block access to go south as well. I know this would be a rare occurance. It just occurred to me to wonder.

Actually, they will go south. They get several days to outrun a hurricane.

What is the alternate destination if a tropical storm is heading toward the New England / Canada area?

This happened to us last year on Explorer. We were supposed to go to Charlottetown, PEI, but the Captain decided to outrun the hurricane (or remnants thereof - it was still a tropical storm at least), and we were fortunate to have two full days in beautiful Quebec City. Oh, it was glorious! The entire ship applauded when he came on the PA and made the announcement. We were also refunded our port fees due to the missed port.

Anyway, don't spend time worrying about it. Trust that the Captain has everything under control and he would never put the passengers and crew in jeopardy.

Have fun. :)

Archived