Buffet (or other) for Dinner Instead of Main Dining

poffles

Thanks ... always good to have the food identifiable before the taste test. :)

When I asked a cook to identify food without a sign telling you what it is the only thing the cook could say was it was good. However, she had no idea what it was. When I pressed her further she admitted she had not idea what it was. Stick to Carnival, don't mess with your health.

On a seven day cruise we ended up eating in thr MDR only twice. Eating at a set time just didn't work for us. Always found plenty at the buffet to keep me happy. The Taste of the Nations area is worth looking for if you like a lot of variety. I remember the first day is Italian.

I guess I am one of very few who didn't enjoy eating at the buffet at night. I thought the atmosphere was quite cold and unappealing. The food was ok, not all the choices that were available at the MDR, but enough choices to find something.

The feast of nations was available during lunch, but the night we went for dinner, it was some of the same food as served in the dining room, not French, Italian, etc.

I have sailed Royal Caribbean many times, but haven't eaten in the buffet at night. My understanding is that there are table cloths on the tables and it looks more like a restaurant than Carnival's buffet for dinner.

I think that I was expecting something a little nicer at dinner on Carnival. There was no ambience at all. It was very casual with men in tank tops and shorts as well as women in shorts etc.

On Royal Caribbean, casual wear is totally acceptable in the buffet for dinner. There are some people who haven't ever sailed them but will tell you what not to wear.

Perhaps, by the time of your cruise, Carnival will have my time dining on your ship and you would be able to go to the MDR for dinner at a time that would be suitable for you.

Enjoy!

I don't know if this should be a separate thread or not. If so, I apologize.

What types of foods can I expect at the dinner buffet? I can't grasp the concept for some reason. Am I correct that this buffet is more like "food stations". I think that because I'm reading that some people didn't find this or that.

I get that there are special foods everyday - my question is, what is available every night (main course wise) TIA - we're leaving Sat, and I'm in full panic mode.

Guest TropicOne

On every one of my cruises I skip the MDR and do not feel like I am missing a thing. Nothing like dining al fresco on the Lido deck with the sounds and sights of the ocean as a background :) Plus, I can stay in my comfort clothes. Always found something tasty to eat.

Perhaps, by the time of your cruise, Carnival will have my time dining on your ship and you would be able to go to the MDR for dinner at a time that would be suitable for you.

Enjoy!

From what I am reading the Victory is slotted for My Time before the timeframe I am looking at so that will definitely make a difference. The only thing that will be a major deciding factor then might be how long I want to spend at a dinner table.

Thanks for you input.

We sailed the Fascination in 2007 and one of our ports was Calica (Playa Del Carmen). We were in port until 10:00 p.m. due to 1:00 p.m. arrival. Eating on Lido that night was perfect since many of the organized tours did not get back until after first seating had started. We had never eaten on Lido for dinner on any cruise and in this case, it was great. Am sure with a port intensive itinerary and if you were doing lots of excursions, it would work out nicely not to have to rush, etc.

My sister is blogging about our experience on the Miracle a few weeks ago and literally took pictures of EVERYTHING. Although it is not completed yet, I know she is slowly including pictures of all of the lido buffet menus (lunch and dinner) during the 8 night voyage, including Taste of Nations. I thought this might be helpful to those who still have questions about the buffet. From what we saw, much of the food served in the MDR for dinner was also available at the buffet, desserts included. Also, we never noticed any sort of dress code in the lido buffet. As long as your wearing some sort of clothing, you're a-ok I guess :D

Here is the thread that has a link to her blog:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=998573

My first cruise we ate in the MDR the first few nights then realized we weren't even enjoying it (we aren't fancy people). So we started eating in the buffet or pizza or grill, etc. We loved it!

Therefore on my next cruise we didn't even see the MDR! I love cruising and for now I would prefer to eat outside the dining room. I never get sick of the food, there's always something different! I just find the dining room too dragged out and the food isn't really what I'm into. If it's your first cruise give the dining room a try on the first night, some people really love it! But don't hesitate to not go back if you would rather a casual atmosphere!

Megan

We tend to only eat in the DR on one formal night, and one casual night. We usually travel with family or get a table for two on those nights. We tend to go to the buffet other nights, at whatever time we wish because we like "snacking or mucnhing" throughout the day, and don't want to go through the hassle of getting dressed every night if we are already still full from eating through the day. If we go to the first formal and then a casual, we let the DR Staff know we won't be returning and given them something (money) during that time.

Archived