Seward to Anchorage Airport

Would like any info about the Regent transfer from Seward to Anchorage. How is it done, what is the cost, what time is arrival at ANC, any other options anyone has used. Thanks for any information. We are sailing on the 8/12 sailing out of Vancouver.

We're doing this on 24 June after our cruise north. The Grandview train leaves Seward at 8:00 AM and arrives at the airport at 12:30 PM. Cost ("cruise only"...no air with transfer or Regent post-cruise package) was $139/pp. Bus is somewhat cheaper and arrives earlier (I believe...don't have details), but the train should be much more pleasant than 3+ hours on a bus.

You can't book this post-cruise transfer on-line with your other shore excursions, but you can do so by contacting Regent directly. There is some finite capacity for the train so we didn't want to risk doing it on-board.

As for "other options", we rented a car in Seward (they will pick you up at the ship) and drove to Anchorage. Highly recommend it. There are many things to see along the way, including moose and dall sheep. It is a very pretty drive. If you decide this option, don't miss stopping at Exit Glacier.

Thank you all for your input. Our travel agent says that we have to book the bus transfer on the ship, and can not book prior to sailing. She says that the train gets to the airport too late for our 2:00pm flight.

We have a car reserved from Hertz. To Hobse and Rachel: Is that who you rented from. Was the pick-up at the ship automatic or did you need to arrange it? We rented a car in Anchorage and dropped it at the Seward dock about 8 years ago. It seemed that the car rental was about the length 200 yds. from the ship.

Thank you all for your input. Our travel agent says that we have to book the bus transfer on the ship, and can not book prior to sailing. She says that the train gets to the airport too late for our 2:00pm flight.

We have a car reserved from Hertz. To Hobse and Rachel: Is that who you rented from. Was the pick-up at the ship automatic or did you need to arrange it? We rented a car in Anchorage and dropped it at the Seward dock about 8 years ago. It seemed that the car rental was about the length 200 yds. from the ship.

Yes, Hertz is the only rental car company in Seward -- it's your only choice. You'll need to call them for a pick-up; I don't think they'll just be waiting there based on your reservation. Since I just rented there today, I have the number handy: 907-224-4378. If you want to walk instead, I'd guess the distance is more than 200 yards, but less than half a mile. (We didn't rent a car the day we left the ship, because we were doing a boat day trip in Seward.)

Be aware that although the trip could take as little as 2 1/2 hours, any delays along the way could make it a bit longer. They're doing some construction between Seward and Portage currently which resulted in a stop for about 15 minutes waiting for one-way traffic. Those conditions and times can change at any moment, so just be sure to leave yourself enough time -- if you want to be at the airport by 12:30 for a 2:00 flight, I suggest you get off the ship as early as they'll allow it -- the stated time was 8:30 this past week, but you might be able to get off by 8. If you leave at 8:30, and it takes half an hour to get you luggage, get the car, and get loaded up, you don't have a lot of spare time to make it to the airport by 12:30. As much as I enjoyed the car drive today and recommend it, if you don't have time to make many stops, let alone side trips to see Portage Glacier or the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, the bus transfer from Regent might be a lot cheaper and simpler.

-- Eric

Hi Mary,

We just returned from the June 3rd sailing. (Sorry I didn't get to meet Eric in person). We took the train transfer from Seward to Anchorage and our disembarkation time was 7:30 AM and we arrived in Anchorage at 12:30. It was a very smooth process. The train cost and extra $90 per person and should be pre-arranged by your TA. I even tried to arrange this through Regent before our trip and was asked to deal directly with my TA. I heard many a couple trying to get on the train when they were already on board and it seemed like it was sold out for many. You were given a pre-assigned seat when you hand in your voucher upon disembarkation. Your luggage is sent via truck to the Anchorage Hilton or directly to the airport depending on your plans. You are advised that only hand luggage is allowed and there is room to stow small bags under your chair on the train. All guest with flights post 3 PM were sent to the Hilton where they set up a hospitality suite. The train drops you off directly at the airport and there is a coach shuttle for anyone going back to the Hilton. Regent also arranges for your trip back from the Hilton to the airport. All shuttles to the airport were 2 hours before your flight and left on the hour. We had the popular 5 PM shuttle which required 2-3 coaches to transfer all those taking the red-eye back to the East Coast. The train was great. We saw eagles and a moose and wonderful vistas. The train can be a little rocky and using the "facilities" was an experience as the toilet water almost came spilling out of the bowl.

As a first time Regent customer, we had the time of our life. We even signed up on board for a Mediterranean cruise next year. Time to start the research : ) . Please let me know if you have any questions.

Also I would like to offer a dear thank you to all that have posted on these boards. It made planning for our trip extremely easy and well planned. Once I get settled back in, I plan on writing a complete review.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi, see my post in the "bus from Seward to Anchorage" re our transfer. We stuck with the bus due to air times, and it was more enjoyable than I thought it might be. Smooth process to leave the ship, smooth trip with one short stop, and a very organized process at the airporet to retrieve luggage and get through security. One couple on our bus thought they had the train reserved (someone will hear about it...), but even they seemed mollified by the end of the trip. Of course, we had great weather, so the scenery was excellent. Good luck whichever way you elect to get from ship to plane.

The only caution for NB passengers is customs in Vancouver. We stood for almost two hours in line while 2 agents checked about 1500 folks. Many were less enthused about the wait than they might have been...don't know if it is economic cutbacks (hard to think it was a surprise re passenger load, since that is all known data). That was the only fly in the week's ointment.

The only caution for NB passengers is customs in Vancouver. We stood for almost two hours in line while 2 agents checked about 1500 folks. Many were less enthused about the wait than they might have been...don't know if it is economic cutbacks (hard to think it was a surprise re passenger load, since that is all known data). That was the only fly in the week's ointment.

We will be sailing NB July 29th. Any suggestions on when to arrive at the embarkation in Vancouver to avoid the crowds and lines? Thanks! :confused:

We will be sailing NB July 29th. Any suggestions on when to arrive at the embarkation in Vancouver to avoid the crowds and lines? Thanks! :confused:

We had simllar problems, made worse by the splitting into US passport holders and "others". Needless to sat the "others" got the longest treatment.

However, I don't think, unless you choose to arrive shortly before the last time for embarkation, you can forecast the possible wait. If only Mariner is in dock, you may be OK, but if another (usually bigger) cruise ship is loading, expect a wait.

We had simllar problems, made worse by the splitting into US passport holders and "others". Needless to sat the "others" got the longest treatment.

However, I don't think, unless you choose to arrive shortly before the last time for embarkation, you can forecast the possible wait. If only Mariner is in dock, you may be OK, but if another (usually bigger) cruise ship is loading, expect a wait.

Thanks for the insight...will just wait patiently in line knowing that 7 great days lies ahead!

Archived