All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

Sorry to have to post this, but I just booked and paid for a cabana on Dec 11, 2011 and HAL charged me $299.:eek:

HAL has been charging $299.00 for several years now. People aren't discouraged, they continue to sell out.

Sorry to have to post this, but I just booked and paid for a cabana on Dec 11, 2011 and HAL charged me $299.:eek:

There were only 2 reserved so far, I guess eveyone is concerned with the price. It's getting expensive to have the benefit of shade.

We are there twice in December. One stop has 12 sold, the other 9. The Oasis is also booked once.

I'm sure the answer to my question is on here somewhere but I did a search and didn't get the answer and although I read quite a few pages, I can't read all of them!

If you rent a cabana do you get one of the first tenders the same as if you book an excursion?

I am a first time cruiser, do you mind me asking what tenders means?

I am a first time cruiser, do you mind me asking what tenders means?

Tenders are used at ports where there is no pier for the ship to dock at and for the passengers to walk off on. The tender is a small craft that comes alongside the ship which is anchored and the passengers transfer onto the tender via a door in the side of the ship that is fitted with a temporary dock and staircase. Once on the tender it takes you ashore. At some ports the tenders are in fact some of the specialized lifeboats from the ship you are on. But at Half Moon Cay the tenders are quite large and are kept at the island permanently.

Edited by eh2zed

Tenders are used at ports where there is no pier for the ship to dock at and for the passengers to walk off on. The tender is a small craft that comes alongside the ship which is anchored and the passengers transfer onto the tender via a door in the side of the ship that is fitted with a temporary dock and staircase. Once on the tender it takes you ashore. At some ports the tenders are in fact some of the specialized lifeboats from the ship you are on. But at Half Moon Cay the tenders are quite large and are kept at the island permanently.

One small technical correction. The ship doesn't anchor all the time anymore. Frequently it is held in place by thrusters.

You know the routine, Bruce. There has never been a visit to HMC when all the cabanas weren't sold.

Actually on our last stop there only 8 or 9 sold, and only 3 with butler upgrades. As a result, due to their staffing plan, we essentially had 2 Butlers full time. Only during their lunch break, and when one was getting us something did we only have 1 present. Talk about spoiled!!!:D:D:D

That must be the reason DW insisted our next cruise (coming up in Dec) have two stops at HMC, with cabana and butler. So we had to do a B2B to please DW!

Edited by CruiserBruce

• 2 weeks later...
Actually on our last stop there only 8 or 9 sold, and only 3 with butler upgrades. As a result, due to their staffing plan, we essentially had 2 Butlers full time. Only during their lunch break, and when one was getting us something did we only have 1 present. Talk about spoiled!!!:D:D:D

That must be the reason DW insisted our next cruise (coming up in Dec) have two stops at HMC, with cabana and butler. So we had to do a B2B to please DW!

Bruce, if I divorce my husband will you marry me? ;)

Edited by girlscruise2011

Are there any spots on HMC set aside for sunbathing in the buff or skinnydipping?

Technically, No. However, if you walk to the far end of the beach beyond the horse stables no one will bother you if you choose to go au natural.

There will be few people that far down the beach.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Private Oasis Palm Package?

We have that for Dec 2nd. What's nearby?

How is the stingray experience? We purchased that also but are thinking about cancelling and hanging in the cabana all day.

Thanks!

Hi All!!! We got back from our first trip to HMC on 10/2 and while we were there, took this video (a little over 6 mins) that starts at cabana 15 and goes down to the end.

Please feel free to check it out! I know when we were planning our trip, I loved watching stuff like this in advance! We had Cabana 12.

We also just finished up a review of the cruise with pics and a more detailed account of our HMC day - a link to it is in my siggie.

Enjoy! :D

Thanks so much for the video!

Does anyone have any pictures of the Private Oasis Palm Package?

We have that for Dec 2nd. What's nearby?

How is the stingray experience? We purchased that also but are thinking about cancelling and hanging in the cabana all day.

Thanks!

There is a thread just down the board with pics and lots of comments.

I just booked a cabana for our April 13, 2013 Liberty cruise - it didn't say anything about butler upgrades? What exactly do you get with the butler? where would you book this upgrade? and what is the cost?

Thanks!

Any suggestions as to what Cabana to try and get? - we would like the quiet but also don't want to be too far from the washrooms, food and drinks ;)

Carnival doesn't offer the Butler Upgrade. Just Holland America.

Please do some reading of the two or three large threads on HMC. You will find just about everything you want. As mentioned, on Carnival, you don't get to pick your cabana, it is assigned by the Shore Excursion desk.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Carnival doesn't offer the Butler Upgrade. Just Holland America.

Please do some reading of the two or three large threads on HMC. You will find just about everything you want. As mentioned, on Carnival, you don't get to pick your cabana, it is assigned by the Shore Excursion desk.

Thanks Bruce!

I know that you can't pick the Cabana online but I thought that once you get on the ship you can go to the Shore Excursion desk and pick it there.

Oh well, I know I will be happy with whatever we get!!

Too bad about the butler though, it's about time that Carnival go with the program!!:D

I know that you can't pick the Cabana online but I thought that once you get on the ship you can go to the Shore Excursion desk and pick it there.

This seems to vary by ship. You might be able to pick from what is left when you get on board. Or, they might be pre-assigned.

I am going to bet my buddy Typhoon1 will come along with the best advice on which one to pick.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks Bruce!

Oh well, I know I will be happy with whatever we get!!

Too bad about the butler though, it's about time that Carnival go with the program!!:D

According to most of the reviews/posts I have read, you do pick the cabana at the excursion desk when you board a Carnival ship. From what I gather, the further down you go the less crowded it is, so the higher the number the less crowded it will be.