All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

Thanks Bruce!

I know that you can't pick the Cabana online but I thought that once you get on the ship you can go to the Shore Excursion desk and pick it there.

Oh well, I know I will be happy with whatever we get!!

Too bad about the butler though, it's about time that Carnival go with the program!!:D

We were on the Miracle in May and we went to the Excursion Desk when we boarded and picked our cabana. If you get 8, 9, 10, 11, you will be far enough away from too much activity withour being far from the facilities. They also have a truck that will give you a ride up and back if you need it:)

Thanks Bruce!

I know that you can't pick the Cabana online but I thought that once you get on the ship you can go to the Shore Excursion desk and pick it there.

Oh well, I know I will be happy with whatever we get!!

Too bad about the butler though, it's about time that Carnival go with the program!!:D

Annette we were on the Carnival Valor in September as soon as we boarded the ship and they stuck our card in that machine a sound went off. The crew member informed us to go to Guest services to choose our cabana. If you have your heart set on specific cabana I would encourage you to board the ship as early as possible so you can be one of the first ones to choose your cabana number. We were in group 22 to board the ship so by the time we got to guest services at least half the cabanas had been picked already. I hope this helps :)

Annette we were on the Carnival Valor in September as soon as we boarded the ship and they stuck our card in that machine a sound went off. The crew member informed us to go to Guest services to choose our cabana. If you have your heart set on specific cabana I would encourage you to board the ship as early as possible so you can be one of the first ones to choose your cabana number. We were in group 22 to board the ship so by the time we got to guest services at least half the cabanas had been picked already. I hope this helps :)

Thanks Yvonne!! Which cabana did you get and were you happy with it?

Thanks Yvonne!! Which cabana did you get and were you happy with it?

My first choice would have been a cabana about half ways down which would be not too far yet close enough :cool:. I ended up choosing cabana #1 and we actually really liked it. Now keep in mind we had 5 20 yrs olds with us so they wanted to be where the action was. A few benefits to this cabana was the food pavilion was up a path directly behind our cabana. Along with the bathrooms. Now the downside since its the first cabana many people used the path leading to our cabana to get down to the beach. A few actually walked through our cabana when we were in the water. We finally pushed one of the lounge chairs across the path so people stopped doing that. There is a video on Youtube where a guy walked the whole beach recording each and every cabana.

ardnassac79s video was great and helped me decide on #10 instead of #5. Thanks for sharing.:D

Glad to help! I have a feeling a lot of people may think the higher #'s are too far out, but they really aren't, especially considering behind the cabanas is a paved path that can be used to cut to the eatery and other places pretty quickly. IMO it's a farther walk from the front of the ship to the MDR than it is from the furthest cabana to the eatery... but don't quote me on that!

Thanks so much for the video!

Glad to help! This is my little slice of heaven, and really can't wait to go back.

My first choice would have been a cabana about half ways down which would be not too far yet close enough :cool:. I ended up choosing cabana #1 and we actually really liked it. Now keep in mind we had 5 20 yrs olds with us so they wanted to be where the action was. A few benefits to this cabana was the food pavilion was up a path directly behind our cabana. Along with the bathrooms. Now the downside since its the first cabana many people used the path leading to our cabana to get down to the beach. A few actually walked through our cabana when we were in the water. We finally pushed one of the lounge chairs across the path so people stopped doing that. There is a video on Youtube where a guy walked the whole beach recording each and every cabana.

This was going to be my next question -- Do you get a lot of the lurkers lurking in your cabana? Especially the cabanas that are located closer to the action. We had one on Princess Cay last December and we loved it BUT I couldn't believe that people actually came into our cabana when we were in the water or in a chaise on the beach. Even saw some take pictures. It was obvious people were using the cabana. I am curious but would never have done something like this. What about the HMC cabanas?

Also, since there is a fridge, would we be able to bring over our own white wine? Would we have to pay the corkage fee?

This was going to be my next question -- Do you get a lot of the lurkers lurking in your cabana? Especially the cabanas that are located closer to the action. We had one on Princess Cay last December and we loved it BUT I couldn't believe that people actually came into our cabana when we were in the water or in a chaise on the beach. Even saw some take pictures. It was obvious people were using the cabana. I am curious but would never have done something like this. What about the HMC cabanas?

Also, since there is a fridge, would we be able to bring over our own white wine? Would we have to pay the corkage fee?

I am sure you could bring your wine free of corkage fee.

There were a few lurkers and people did not seem to understand how these cabanas worked. A few people walked up our stairs and wanted to wash off in our shower. Many people just wanted to see what was inside we never went very far from our cabana. Twice I saw people walk through though they were just looking for a short cut. I'm sure it was because we were the first cabana you come upon. I truly felt so spoiled sitting in that cabana we had so many luxury items soft comfy lounge chairs, AC, food, misting fan, our own shower, snorkel gear, and floating mats. This was so so worth the money.

One interesting thing was when some people who rented cabanas left early for the ship I noticed other people hanging out in their cabana even taking a shower till it was time to get on the ship. I guess you could call them opportunist and why not.

A few of our friends decided to leave early for the ship and ended up standing in a very long line for a very long time to get on a tender. We waited till almost the very last tender and still we waited in a line though it was not very long.

One thing I read on this thread was to remember how hot it gets on these islands. I did bring a small umbrella to shade me while standing in line. Another thing when we were there in September on the Carnival Valor once on HMC we found out you could check out a beach towel on the island. Its the same ones from the ship. We brought our towels from the ship with us and they were so heavy when wet I would have rather just left it on the island. They would not take our towels it was only the people who checked out a towel on HMC that could leave their towel. So we lugged our wet towels back to the ship :rolleyes:.

My daughter bought my husband two t-shirst from HMC one is in my signature at the bottom. They are a really nice momento from the most amazing day ever.

Edited by SANJOSEGAL

Where do you get the towels?

I just rent a clamshell. I walk down to the Sports Hut #2 and usually park myself around the cabana 9 or 10 area so that I'm not too far from lunch, restrooms are nearby, but I'm far enough down the beach that I can have a little peace and quiet.

Unless, as has happened my past two times at HMC, the people in the cabanas near me have small kids who think that they must scream at the top of their lungs all day! :(

This time (visit #5), I'm with a cousin who has some mobility issues, or else I'd go even further down the beach.

Is there a shuttle that will take us down to that Hut #2 area at least?

Lastly, is Carnival now doing VIP boarding for the RETURN tender? Some say yes, some say no. I'd like to spend every possible minute on the island and NOT have to stand in that ridiculous tender line if I don't have to!

I'm really not even a "beach" person, but absolutely fell in love with HMC on my first stop there. Even did a repeat cruise 7 months later so I could return. When I saw the insanely cheap Pack and Go rates this week for 11/26 on Fascination, I had to find someone and go, even though I just got back from Bermuda on Glory two weeks ago! That's how much I love HMC! :D

Where do you get the towels?

Is there a shuttle that will take us down to that Hut #2 area at least?

:D

As for the towels I just barely noticed the towel stand set up near a bar on our way out. Its in that main plaza area.

There are golf cart type shuttles to take people down to the farthest cabanas so I'm sure they would assist you.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Another question - can't get a concensus answer on the Carnival board...

To any Carnival VIP folks - have you been able to get VIP boarding on the RETURN tender?

It seems some have and some haven't. I understand why this may not be available in other ports, because it isn't Carnival handling the tender boarding. But in this location, there is no reason why this isn't available.

I pretty much told travel partner that we would get VIP both ways (based on what I'd read earlier) and she may not be happy if we end up having to stand in that very long line in the very hot sun. :(

To any Carnival VIP folks - have you been able to get VIP boarding on the RETURN tender?

To the best of my knowledge, priority tendering is only available TO the island.

For the return, get in line with the rest of the cattle.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Another question - can't get a concensus answer on the Carnival board...

It seems some have and some haven't. I understand why this may not be available in other ports, because it isn't Carnival handling the tender boarding. But in this location, there is no reason why this isn't available.

I pretty much told travel partner that we would get VIP both ways (based on what I'd read earlier) and she may not be happy if we end up having to stand in that very long line in the very hot sun. :(

Never have heard of priority tendering for the return trip. We have never received it, only going to the island.

Thank you all, so much, for the info in this thread! I am now convinced that I NEED ;) a cabana. My hubby is a melanoma survivor and this man has to have the shade. I also have 3 young boys, so it will be great to have a place, in the shade, where we can just relax together. My only concern is that we're going in October so what if we have rotten weather but not rotten enough to skip the port? I'll be so ticked if we don't have awesome weather- guess I better start praying! :D

Thank you all, so much, for the info in this thread! I am now convinced that I NEED ;) a cabana. My hubby is a melanoma survivor and this man has to have the shade. I also have 3 young boys, so it will be great to have a place, in the shade, where we can just relax together. My only concern is that we're going in October so what if we have rotten weather but not rotten enough to skip the port? I'll be so ticked if we don't have awesome weather- guess I better start praying! :D

rinny323 we went in Sept of this year to HMC right at the height of hurricane season. Actually a hurricane did hit HMC yet only caused little damage. As I sat in our hotel room in Miami the night before our cruise the reports were pouring in that this port and that port were closing due to the weather. At a certain point you just have to realize we have no control whatever happens will happen. Turns out it was the most amazing day ever perfect weather. My sister just returned from a cruise that left at the end of October to the Southern caribbean and she had perfect weather in all her ports. So don't worry be happy :) With kids I think a cabana is a must.

IMG_0305.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

Edited by SANJOSEGAL

I've been there four times (so far).

First in mid-May - we did the stingray snorkel excursion and just found a couple of chairs in the shade after lunch. Very hot and sunny.

Second was that same year - mid-December - we almost didn't tender over. Took them forever to get the tenders with the supplies going (nice weather but choppy seas); still hot and sunny; rented clamshell; water much cooler but not so bad once you got in.

2183924670102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Third time was two years later - again mid-December; rented clamshell; did horseback ride & swim; read, relaxed and played in the (cool) water - hot and sunny on the beach.

2440782660102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Fourth time - mid-May - went solo - rented clamshell and did absolutely nothing all day but read, relax and play in the water - very hot and sunny.

2226022910102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Keeping my fingers crossed that I get another beautiful day on the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. :D

Booked for Feb 19 southern caribbean with stop at HMC. I tried to reserve cabana and was put on "wait list". Can anyone tell me how long they usually leave you there before they tell you if one is open or not? I mean, I don't really understand the way you purchase this. Either one is available or not, no? Would love to surprise my sis and anxious to know if this is going to happen or not.

Booked for Feb 19 southern caribbean with stop at HMC. I tried to reserve cabana and was put on "wait list". Can anyone tell me how long they usually leave you there before they tell you if one is open or not? I mean, I don't really understand the way you purchase this. Either one is available or not, no? Would love to surprise my sis and anxious to know if this is going to happen or not.

You can receive notice during the cruise you have been selected from the waitlist. If someone cancels once onboard, they start selecting from the waitlist.