All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

We'll be on HMC in November. So many people have raved about it, but I have questions... If the island is 9.5 miles long, and 2,400 acres, but only 50 acres are developed, it sounds like the activities are somewhat limited, correct? In other words, if I am not a play in the water/lay on the beach kind of gal, there's really not going to be a whole lot for me to do, is there? Is there a trail system or hiking? I'm an explorer type, and I'm kind of bummed that I won't be able to see much of the island. My husband, on the other hand, will be in heaven...

I guess we'll rent a cabana; he can do his thing in the water, I can sit in the shade with my Nook. ;)

We'll be on HMC in November. So many people have raved about it, but I have questions... If the island is 9.5 miles long, and 2,400 acres, but only 50 acres are developed, it sounds like the activities are somewhat limited, correct?

I guess we'll rent a cabana; he can do his thing in the water, I can sit in the shade with my Nook. ;)

Sounds like a great idea. The fifty acres that were developed is largely beach.

Developed means some of the island is in park status, and some is unused entirely. There is small amount of hiking area- flat, not much. There is an inner lagoon that is big, and they have kayaking in that lagoon. I believe the lagoon, which is good sized, is part of the acreage.

We'll be on HMC in November. So many people have raved about it, but I have questions... If the island is 9.5 miles long, and 2,400 acres, but only 50 acres are developed, it sounds like the activities are somewhat limited, correct? In other words, if I am not a play in the water/lay on the beach kind of gal, there's really not going to be a whole lot for me to do, is there? Is there a trail system or hiking? I'm an explorer type, and I'm kind of bummed that I won't be able to see much of the island. My husband, on the other hand, will be in heaven...

If you want peace and quiet -- don't book the blue cabana next to the pirate ship -- LOUD music!!

2011_Noordam_Part_4_071.JPG

HMC also has -- swim with the stingrays; agua trax; horse back riding -- nothing like that is free.

There is a great You Tube video a fellow cruiser posted where he walks down the beach showing you every cabana. Its by wdblake 05.08 minutes long. Titled Half Moon Cay...All Cabanas Tour. :) Created March 13,2011

One more thing there is more than one place to get a drink so don't worry about trying to be near one particular bar.

I hope this helps you in choosing a cabana.

Yvonne

Edited by SANJOSEGAL

I found this thread extremely helpful; it pretty much sealed the deal for me! ;) We'll aim for #10 or higher when we're there in November!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1188684

Thanks for the link. Very informative. I'm going in May and have my cabana booked and #10 or higher looks perfect for me. I definately want a quiet paradise.

What time does the excursion desk on the Fascination open? I want to be the 1st in line so I can rent a cabana. My 93 yr old grandmother is going with us and I can't see us even going on shore if we don't have a cabana for her to stay in during the day. Any suggestions on which cabana to rent? She has to use the "little old lady's" room quite often and she can't walk far.

I keep hearing that the cabanas rent out fast. How fast? Are they really that popular? If so, why are there only 15 of them? We only live 2 hrs from Jax port, so I can be there any time. Thanks in advance for your knowledge!:D

Go onto the Carnival website and rent your cabana before you get onboard... (they usually sell out before the ship sails) the excursion desk is for picking out which cabana you want... 1st come...1st pick!! :)

Go onto the Carnival website and rent your cabana before you get onboard... (they usually sell out before the ship sails) the excursion desk is for picking out which cabana you want... 1st come...1st pick!! :)

If you do book your cabana online then from our recent experience we boarded the ship and were instructed to proceed directly to the shore excursion desk to choose our cabana. If that is the normal routine on most Carnival ships then it would benefit you to board as early as possible in order to be one of the first to choose your cabana. :)

If you do book your cabana online then from our recent experience we boarded the ship and were instructed to proceed directly to the shore excursion desk to choose our cabana. If that is the normal routine on most Carnival ships then it would benefit you to board as early as possible in order to be one of the first to choose your cabana. :)

I am getting the same info from the boards.. Can not wait!!

It was worth it for us - we got the Violet Cabana (the last one...on the quiet end of the beach). Our butler was an awesome young lady from Holland and she hung out on the side of the cabana waiting for us to ask her for something. I have reserved the Violet cabana for our cruise in February 2010 and I'll be adding the butler service again, for sure. :cool:

It's only money...

How do you know in advance which cabana you are getting? I thought we didnt find out until we were on board and picked it out at the excursion desk...am I missing something?

How do you know in advance which cabana you are getting? I thought we didnt find out until we were on board and picked it out at the excursion desk...am I missing something?

It differs between CCL and HAL. CCL you can't pick your cabana, and also NO butler......

I was there 5/09 and we had cabana #3 turquoise it was nice but next time I would definitely opt for one further down the beach it gets very crowded down that end since I'm assuming most people dont feel like walking down the beach further??

On Holland you are able to pick the cabana you are reserving. You must do it before the trip because they sell out quickly. So do the clamshells.